Wedding Etiquette Forum

Talk to me people...Night Thread

Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread

• Omg, Fish. I can't believe you are seriously missing me in Toronto by a week. What the hell.
  • As far as the Duggars I think the younger ones are going to ""rebel".  I think they will see their older siblings lives and think "F' that".   

Mom can't have many (if any) more kids, so they will not be 'buddies' to anyone.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • No matter how many studies come out that show that spanking your child will only increase the behavior you are trying to prevent - or cause more problem behaviors to evolve, people will still spank their kids. I don't get it.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • UGH. You don't need to HAVE kids to have a belief system on how o raise them.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I was spanked 4 times and I remember them clearly. One was when I was 4. I can still remember how embarassed I felt.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:d797b888-f104-4024-a82e-82b2bec72e6f">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : I'm sure it isn't easy, but what can anyone do about it? Well, besides to not watch their show.
    Posted by RupertPenny[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm not judging them, I'm just pointing out that those defending them say "If the kids don't like it they can just leave the family" But it's not always as simple as I'm going to pack my bags and walk away.
  • Move your trip, any!

The Margarita Evolution
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:f2dcc3f8-367c-44bc-b9c5-3a35f7356590">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Move your trip, any!
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

<div>If I hadn't already taken the time off, and my family's big GTG wasn't the weekend we get there, I would. You are going to be there the first weekend of August right, I added that correctly?</div>
  • I am not saying it does or doesn't fish, just stating my anecdote. :) I really don't think it did shiiit though. My parents had a decidedly non-physically threatening way of disciplining me after that so I learned the terror of a "I'm very disappointed in you" statement. 
  • Being afraid to do something and learning not to do something are two different things.

The Margarita Evolution
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:f607ad75-5090-4106-adb9-b0c377f15906">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]UGH. You don't need to HAVE kids to have a belief system on how o raise them.

That's funny you say that because a lot of people with kids will point out that people without kids, "just don't know until they have some of their own."
  • Evening!  I had my second yoga class tonight, and two girls from high school were in it.  One of them actually teaches there.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Yeah, the disappointment thing worked in my house, too. Fo to the sho.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I was never spanked in any way and don't ever plan on doing that to my kids. But I also see a difference between a single light swat and repeatedly hitting your kid for five minutes or using spanking as a threat or means of control. We learned in a psych class that if you want to teach a kid a lesson you can't smack them out of anger, and should only do it once. Doing it more and when you're angry just makes them resentful. I don't know how true that is, but I see how there's a difference.
  • Ugh disappointing my mom was THE WORST.  Plus then I couldn't go ride horses.

• "The Look" was terrifying in our house, Mom would look over her glasses and then you'd know you were in trouble. The fact that she kept so calm was the scariest.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:f6393d13-e98e-4cfd-91d9-b4d3f4b44872">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not saying it does or doesn't fish, just stating my anecdote. :) I really don't think it did shiiit though. My parents had a decidedly non-physically threatening way of disciplining me after that so I learned the terror of a <strong>"I'm very disappointed in you" statement. </strong>
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

<div>My mom made me cry a couple times just by uttering those words. Talent. I don't cry easily. </div>
  • I have 54 kids of my own right now, and 4 nieces and nephews. That line drives me batty, Kroops.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I think I was reduced to tears if I heard "I'm really disappointed in you". I knew I was in SERIOUS fuckingshit then. And it sucked to feel like I disappointed them. 

Then again, Fish and I are in the minority who think that the dad with the laptop shooting was absofucking horrifying. 
  • That's one busy uterus, Fishy.  Give that thing a break, why dontcha.

• You show me a parent who spanks their kid when NOT angry. And a parent who spanks their kid when they aren't angry? I think makes them scarier.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Gun laptop dude is a fool.

The Margarita Evolution
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:b48b10c9-aa6c-4c75-8921-5545a294ac5a">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Gun laptop dude is a fool.

<div>
    </div><div>For reals. It blows my mind that people think otherwise, truly. </div>
  • Totally agree with shoot em up laptop dad is a fool.
  • Eye to eye, musu.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I heard of gun laptop guy way after the fact.

I don't get it when parents, who are supposedly adults, try to make points by acting out the same way as their teenagers.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My mom took away my books to punish me. It was quite effective.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:b48b10c9-aa6c-4c75-8921-5545a294ac5a">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Gun laptop dude is a total fucking asshole.
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>FTFY.</div><div>

</div>
  • mjmchugh86mjmchugh86 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2012
    He is setting such a great example for his kid. "Oh something pisses me off. I think shooting it will make it all better." What an idiot
  • Exactly, Petal. Eye for an eye does not work in the long run. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards