Snarky Brides

Vegetable Garden!

I just bought some supplies to get at some gardening tomorrow -- I got 2 long planters to put garlic in on my deck, a wack of dirt, seedling trays for my tomatos (still waiting on the seeds...) and I plan to rake the flower beds this weekend and clean up the vegetable garden so it doesnt look like a bomb went off. Im going to buy seeds tomorrow from this awesome seed store near here, and I am so excited!!

Do you have a vegetable garden? (Please say yes!!)

What are you planting this year?

Is there anything you wish you could plant, if you arent?

Any gardening tips to give?

Re: Vegetable Garden!

• DAMNIT NEBB. I just posted a thread!

I live in an apartment, so no, I have no room to garden. Undecided Want to share yours?
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2011
    Youve killed my thread with your non topic specific thread ccf. I blame you.
  • Will you take pictures and put them on your blog, puhleeze?
  • I wish I had a garden. Mmmm garlic.
  • NebbNebb member
    I am planting great white tomatos, green beefsteak, kentucky (orange) beefsteak, snowberries (white cherry tomatos), red beefsteaks, 2-3 varieties of carrots (baby, regular, some kind of varicoloured kind to freak adam out), shallots, green onions, garlic, possibly lettuce or spinach (not decided yet), green and yellow beans. I am going to try, for the LAST time, to grow dill as well - ive killed it every year for the past 2 years so im not too confident about it. I will also plant more oregano if mine doesnt come back, and maybe some other herbs.
  • anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    Do you have a vegetable garden? (Please say yes!!)
    -just a wee one this year. I'll go big again next year.  My heart's just not in it at the moment.

What are you planting this year?
    -a few heirloom and cherry tomatoes, , romaine lettuce and a variety of other salad greens. I have herbs (thyme, oregano, mint, basil, parsley) growing inside the house

Is there anything you wish you could plant, if you aren't?
    -i wish i could a mushroom bed.  I'm really debating and might do it yet.  Plenty of room under the deck.  nice and shady.

Any gardening tips to give?
    -Do not use manure to fertilize unless you're prepared to have to weed constantly.  My most weed filled gardens were the ones that i used manure with.
  • Yay garden threads mean it's almost time for the weather to be nice again!!

My mom planted my 4' x 4' raised garden and told me it's a surprise so I have no clue what's in there.

I'm going to plant carrots, radishes, cherry tomatoes, and colarbi in planter boxes on my deck. Dad is also going to make me some raised giant planter boxes for parsley, basil, and basil. I also want to try some green peppers and cucumber again even though they didn't do anything last year.

My mint is all starting to come up in the front yard already and it makes the yard smell so good! I've got chocolate mint, lemon mint, regular mint, and something else type of mint. All of my tulips and lilies have also started getting heads on the stalks so they will be going soon.
  • NebbNebb member
    My cucumbers pissed me off last year, every time I turned around there were huge mothers hanging from the vines, even though I had just looked the day before and found nothing. I couldnt get any SMALL ones, because they were just out of control growing too fast.
  • My garden just got blasted last year. I didn't get anything in until after we moved so like, mid Mayish and then it freaking froze! Then the next week it was 100 degrees so everything just went POOF. I think I got 3 carrots, 1 radish, 2 colorabi and a handful of cherry tomatoes.

Oh, and a squirrel stole my tomatoes! I was watching one grow bigger and bigger and then looked out the window one day to see the squirrel run up the deck, bite the stem so the tomato fell then dragged it up a tree. Wtf squirrel?
  • NebbNebb member
    That reminds me I have to buy some chicken wire and fix the hole in my garden. The wire has been raised at the far corner so rabbits get in and munch on my beans, which I dont want happening this year because they eat half a bean and move onto the next, so I end up with a ton of half beans I dont want to eat. Animals need to learn to get their own food.
  • Or at least eat the whole thing! They aren't very good at sharing or finishing their meals.
  • NebbNebb member
    I wish it was tomorrow so I could go out and do all of this stuff, im getting antsy for outdoors.
  • No garden. Please send me stuff. Thanks in advance.
  • NebbNebb member
    Hah I dont think im allowed to ship vegetables across the border.
  • I wish I had the gumption to garden. My patio would be a great place for tomatoes, but I have waited too long to plant. If I had planted this year, I would have done tomatoes and bell peppers, and some herbs that we use often like cilantro and basil. But its already too hot. 

I have some of those upside down tomato planters that were popular a couple years ago, but I never took them out of the boxes. I assume the seeds are bad and I'd have to buy preplanted seedlings if I wanted to grom them this year. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I have herbs in pots on our patio.

I use to help a lot with my mom's garden.  She did tomatoes and potatoes and garlic and onions and cucumbers and asparagus and beans and peas and corn and herbs and kohlrabi and okra and squash and peppers and all sorts of things.  It was awesome.
  • NebbNebb member
    Yeah, you probably would, I dont think they would last 3 years. I always wait too late to start garlic every year and always regret it, so I made it my mission to start early this year. You should jump right in next spring!
  • I will. Its always hard to tell when its spring here. It will be in the 40s F one weekend then 80-90 F the next. Sometimes spring is only a few weeks long. It was 91F today when I left work. So I know its too hot. If I had them planted they would be fruiting already.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Matt and Ben made a garden. I'm pretty sure it's our neighbor's garden because Matt neglected to consider our property line before making it. We've planted corn, cucumbers, squash, and green beans.

I wish we could grow steak. Or donuts.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_vegetable-garden?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:620a2ef4-612f-43f5-9560-5a6adef5ba35Post:2a39dc9e-6010-4471-8ef8-30bd2c8d8ea0">Re: Vegetable Garden!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hah I dont think im allowed to ship vegetables across the border.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

<div>Just make sure you don't run into Tide!</div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_vegetable-garden?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:620a2ef4-612f-43f5-9560-5a6adef5ba35Post:03778df4-998c-4e85-97c6-778ab4758909">Re: Vegetable Garden!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Matt and Ben made a garden. I'm pretty sure it's our neighbor's garden because Matt neglected to consider our property line before making it. We've planted corn, cucumbers, squash, and green beans. I wish we could grow steak. Or donuts.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

My Granny grows steak.  They're a lot of trouble.
  • My granny was just a mean old lady. She grew hatred and lottery tickets. I wish I had your granny.

• You can totally borrow my Granny.  She lives just over the Davidson County line.  She makes awesome pies and loves to cook for people.  As long as Ben doesn't chase the cows or climb the trees she'll have you anytime.
  • She's so close! Is she in Lexington or on the Winston side? Ben will definitely chase her cows. He'll name them and hug them and cry because he can't take them home.
  • Her address is Winston.  It's technically Wallburg but they haven't officially annexed that far.  That's the area I grew up in.

Cows really aren't that into being chased.  They kind of scamper away and then they're too far off and you can't keep up because you're dodging their poop.  It'd probably be fine. 
  • That's so cool. I had no idea that you grew up near Winston. Do you ever come out this way? If so, we need to get together. :)
  • I do actually, I'm up there every few weeks or so.  All of my family is up there. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards