Not Engaged Yet

Question Regarding Wedding Gift

I feel like a bit of a PW lately! O.o But I have a bit of a weird situation...

FI and I are going to a wedding tomorrow night - but we weren't invited until last week! To make a long story short, the bride and groom to-be 100% intended for us to be invited to their wedding, but last week we were all together at a housewarming party and they realized they never sent us our invitation (we apparently were not the first guests who did not recieve one).

So, the groom, extremely apologetically (yes, the same groom who wound up in the ER last night!), told us of course we were invited, and promised to call the venue the following day to tell them 2 more people were attending.

Well, FI and I realized something just now - what do we do about a gift? We never recieved a for-real invitation, so we didn't get any registry information. We did give them a gift for their engagement party (a beautiful set of picture frames). But we are very, very tight on money right now, so I came up with the idea of maybe getting them a $25 gift card to Target or something like that. Is that too cheap? We're not really sure what to do! Any suggestions? 

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg

Re: Question Regarding Wedding Gift

• lilphillips14lilphillips14 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think I'd think that was too cheap on such short notice, but me, I'd rather just get the $25 instead of the gift card. But that's just me, since I hate gift cards!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would just give a check for the $25.
    5/27/12
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_question-regarding-wedding-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:e9c31d1f-4cfd-4b0c-af53-5c0c8477e7d9Post:db1141ba-70f8-4889-a181-382c6dbced2f">Re: Question Regarding Wedding Gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]Try to find out where they were registered (you can even try to do a google search for their registry) so you can get a gift card you know they'll use. ETA: If they aren't registered, give cash.
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

OMFG you are a <em>genius</em>. I never would have thought of that. I went on Google, entered their names and their wedding date and I found them registered at BB&B! And there are still <em>plenty</em> of lower-ticket items left! We can stay within our budget and show that we've made an effort by seeking out their registry ;-)

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_question-regarding-wedding-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:e9c31d1f-4cfd-4b0c-af53-5c0c8477e7d9Post:2ed46bd4-20f1-43a5-ae53-5e02ec517c91">Re: Question Regarding Wedding Gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question Regarding Wedding Gift : OMFG you are a genius . I never would have thought of that. I went on Google, entered their names and their wedding date and I found them registered at BB&B! And there are still plenty of lower-ticket items left! We can stay within our budget and show that we've made an effort by seeking out their registry ;-)
    Posted by bsidebella[/QUOTE]

<div>Woot woot!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_question-regarding-wedding-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:e9c31d1f-4cfd-4b0c-af53-5c0c8477e7d9Post:65859e05-34a6-4365-9a91-33300e70d9cc">Re: Question Regarding Wedding Gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question Regarding Wedding Gift : Hahaha I wouldn't say genius.... I like to stalk wedding websites sometimes (people I know.... <strong>most of the time</strong>).  :P
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

<div>Heh heh. -insert creepy stalker music here-</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wink0erinwink0erin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_question-regarding-wedding-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:e9c31d1f-4cfd-4b0c-af53-5c0c8477e7d9Post:b9f8a63d-5eb3-4fe6-8600-b604f0e91cb1">Re: Question Regarding Wedding Gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question Regarding Wedding Gift : Some girl posted the link to her wedding website on my cousin's wall... It seem pretty umprompted (not like, 'oh hey, here's that link you asked for' and more like, 'check out our wedding website! heart xoxo') so I feel like she was *asking* people to look at it.  Including all of my cousin's facebook friends.   ETA: <strong>She put a lot of details on that website about their relationship.  More than anyone needs to know when checking someone's wedding website for registry and hotel info.</strong>
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

<div>I just imagined something like "we met when we were both drunk at a bar and ended up going home together for some sexy time. It was ___(adj)___ when we __(verb, past tense)__. Then he shouted ___(exclamation)___ and I __(verb, past tense)___! From then on we knew we just HAD to be together forever!"</div><div>
    </div><div>Feel free to use that madlib.</div>

• MissTheFrog84MissTheFrog84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some girl posted the link to her wedding website on my cousin's wall... It seem pretty umprompted (not like, 'oh hey, here's that link you asked for' and more like, 'check out our wedding website! heart xoxo') so I feel like she was *asking* people to look at it.  Including all of my cousin's facebook friends.  
    ETA: She put a lot of details on that website about their relationship.  More than anyone needs to know when checking someone's wedding website for registry and hotel info.
    I didn't think that people actually did that stuff.  I mean there are better ways of sending someone a link on facebook about the wedding website than posting it on someone's wall so that anyone who is friends with your cousin on facebook can check it out.  Common sense says stuff like that you send it to them privately in a message.  
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    There's also a spot on the front page of TK on the right hand side where you can put in one of the couple's first and last name and it will pull their website and registry info.  Not that I'm a stalker or anything. *looks around very quickly*

Bside, my advice was going to be, if you really want to be able to spend more money, remember that etiquette allows you a year to send a gift :)
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • WildMageletWildMagelet member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_question-regarding-wedding-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:e9c31d1f-4cfd-4b0c-af53-5c0c8477e7d9Post:88f3f74c-1d96-4e6c-a8ff-b45cc9f51483">Re: Question Regarding Wedding Gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question Regarding Wedding Gift : I just imagined something like "we met when we were both drunk at a bar and ended up going home together for some sexy time. It was ___(adj)___ when we __(verb, past tense)__. Then he shouted ___(exclamation)___ and I __(verb, past tense)___! From then on we knew we just HAD to be together forever!" Feel free to use that madlib.
    Posted by wink0erin[/QUOTE]

Yay, I love madlibs ;)
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards