Ohio-Cincinnati

# of Bridesmaids?!?!

Hi everyone! JUST CURIOUS! Is 8 bridemaids tacky? I was originally going to go with 5 but I have 3 other very important people in my life I would love to be in the wedding. Another friend of mine mentioned that they could have the duty of reading something at the wedding or passing out programs but  I dont want them to feel like they are second best. What does anyone thing? Is 8 tacky? My fiance will only have 5 groomsmen so a few of them can walk two down the aisle... I just wanted to see what anyone thought about this?

Re: # of Bridesmaids?!?!

• edited December 2011
    I have been in multiple weddings w/ large bridal parties and it was def a challenge.  It's a lot of people, but if that's what you feel comfortable with, by all means you should do it.  I was going to suggest having some of the girls do readings or be hostess' or something along those lines.  FWIW, we had 2 on each side, plus a hostess who is a good friend of mine.  We wanted to include her but not have her as a bm.
  • edited December 2011
    If that's what you want then you should do it.  FWIW though, one of my friends got married earlier this year and had I think 8 bridemaids and several people made comments about how gigantic the bridal party was.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mindiosumindiosu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had 8 BMs.  People commented on it, but I didn't really care.  It's what I wanted and it was my day **stamps foot** Hee hee.  
    Some things to consider though, when buying my attendants gifts I spent quite a bit more, the rehearsal dinner cost/guest number went up including a larger party plus their dates, I had to allow for a much longer time period for hair and makeup since we had them done at my home. 
  • rschuckmanrschuckman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should do what you want!  If you want 8 bridesmaids, have 8!  Also, you can have all of the groomsmen stand up at the alter with your groom and just have all of your bridesmaids walk down the aisle alone.  The numbers do not have to match as far as bridesmaids and groomsmen. 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding where there were 8 on each side also and it was distracting for me as a guest at the ceremony. We are only have 2 on each side, though I have about 5 other super close girlfriends that COULD have been bm's, but FI didn't want a large wedding party. And now I'm glad that I listened to him b/c I think that phrase "less is more" is so true! 

Anniversary
  • ungraceful13ungraceful13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should have had as many as you would like. One of my girlfriends had 10 bridesmaids and her husband had 10 groomsmen. They just could not chose between their friends and family. I have five and if I asked my fsils I would have 7 and he would have 5. I decided to ask them to do a reading instead as I am not super close to them.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SkyBlue2007SkyBlue2007 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ditto having the groomsmen stand with the groom and having the bridesmaid walk alone.  We did the same.  5 groomsmen, 3 bridesmaid.

• mollyfayemollyfaye member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's tacky by any means. I'm sure there will be lots of "wow look how many people in the WP" comments but really, who cares? It's your wedding and you should do what you want and have all of the ladies that are special to you standing beside you.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_of-bridesmaids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:108Discussion:ce46a3f0-8642-48ad-bca3-e39568a46852Post:03c6b254-6f57-43e2-9f6b-4590682725a1">Re: # of Bridesmaids?!?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to a wedding where there were 8 on each side also and it was distracting for me as a guest at the ceremony. We are only have 2 on each side, though I have about 5 other super close girlfriends that COULD have been bm's, but FI didn't want a large wedding party. And now I'm glad that I listened to him b/c I think that phrase "less is more" is so true! 
    Posted by econner42[/QUOTE]

How did you get "distracted" sitting in one spot, watching a wedding ceremony? Were you taking notes or something? Were the attendants talking during the ceremony?
  • edited December 2011
    Quick question:

When is your wedding date?  It looks like you just joined, so I think there's a reasonable chance that your date is still pretty far away.

If that's true - WAIT.  Just wait for a bit.  The knot is full of brides who got so excited about their weddings that they asked their wedding party members right away, and then six months later had a falling out with one or more people, and are now upset that they can't "unask" them.

Who knows, maybe in six months time, you won't feel quite as close to all 8 of those women.  If you still fee super close to all of them in 6 months time, then have 8.  I personally think it's a bit much, but it's not my wedding - it's yours.
  • hollsmvhollsmv member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding where there were 8 on each side also and it was distracting for me as a guest at the ceremony. We are only have 2 on each side, though I have about 5 other super close girlfriends that COULD have been bm's, but FI didn't want a large wedding party. And now I'm glad that I listened to him b/c I think that phrase "less is more" is so true! 
    Posted by econner42

How did you get "distracted" sitting in one spot, watching a wedding ceremony? Were you taking notes or something? Were the attendants talking during the ceremony?
    posted by mindiosu

I have to completely agree with econner42. it's distracing bc as the bm are walking down the aisle you're thinking omg, is this parade of girls ever going to end? and then you're staring in awe at the amount of attendants.... at least that was my reaction when I went to a wedding w/ 9 attendants on each side. IMO, it looks ridiculious but like pp said - it's your wedding. do what ya want. 
  • STADT2BSTADT2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have 7 bridesmaids and 2 jr. bridesmaids.  I justified it to myself by saying we are have a large wedding (inviting 450), so I could have a large bridal party!

Its your wedding! Have the people you want standing by you!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You ask people/friends to be in your wedding party because you want them to be a part of your day- being with your during the rehearsal, getting ready, taking pictures, standing up next to you in support of your marriage. Not because of how they or the number of them will look to others.  I think that's just silly.  And, I really don't have strong feelings about what others choose to do for their own weddings.
    I felt lucky to have 8 very close friends/sisters that not only were honored to stand up for me, but that I felt honored to have with me through all of the emotional and wonderful moments of my wedding day.
    More than the number, really think about who you want with you and who you want to look back and see with you in pictures and in memories.
    I do, however, agree with Parker. Don't jump in to asking friends. Mkae sure you think it through and take time to be sure you want these girls in your wedding and for the right reasons.
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry I'm a little late on this topic, but thought I would still share my opinion. 

I think if you want to have 8... you should have 8.  As for the sides not matching up.  I have seen it both ways - groomsmen walking 2 down and also all the groomsmen standing at the front w/ the groom, then having them walk 2 out.  I am actually having 11... which seems insane.  But these are my best friends.  In no way is one closer to me than the other (except for my MOH which is my sister).  I think it's about the people you want to surround yourself with on your very special day.

I have been in 4 weddings.  3 of the 4 had 8+ maids in each.  I don't think it matter's what people will say.  Remember it's your day and you can do what you want!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards