• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
August 2010 Weddings

BM Drama

So I guess it's time for the BM drama to begin! MOH, mom, and I went shopping for BM dresses a few weeks ago and selected 2 dresses in the cotton sateen fabric from David's Bridal. We were being very price and comfort conscious when selecting dresses. All the girls live in different states and it wasn't practical to get them all together to go shopping. (If you'll recall, I asked on this board whether I was being too bridezilla by narrowing the choice down to a particular color and fabric and letting them select a dress) Rewinding a bit, when I asked FSIL to be a bridesmaid, her response was "As long as you're not a bridezilla". I knew then that we were going to have fun... We aren't particularly close, but she's the only sibling between FI and I, so it only felt right to ask her to be in the wedding party. So this morning, she IM's me asking if she can wear a different dress than the ones selected. The option she wants is a linen material and if you feel it in person, it reminds me of burlap because it's so scratchy. I was very nice and told her that I think the dress is pretty, but the fabric feels like burlap and that everyone needs to wear the same fabric. I'm just frustrated that she expects me to cater to her.

For reference, here is one of the BM dress choices in black: (The other one is not available online until January)
http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?langId=-1&catalogId=10051&storeId=10052&catentryId=6097115

Thanks for letting me rant.
Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Anniversary

Re: BM Drama

• So I guess it's time for the BM drama to begin! MOH, mom, and I went shopping for BM dresses a few weeks ago and selected 2 dresses in the cotton sateen fabric from David's Bridal. We were being very price and comfort conscious when selecting dresses. All the girls live in different states and it wasn't practical to get them all together to go shopping. (If you'll recall, I asked on this board whether I was being too bridezilla by narrowing the choice down to a particular color and fabric and letting them select a dress) Rewinding a bit, when I asked FSIL to be a bridesmaid, her response was "As long as you're not a bridezilla". I knew then that we were going to have fun... We aren't particularly close, but she's the only sibling between FI and I, so it only felt right to ask her to be in the wedding party. So this morning, she IM's me asking if she can wear a different dress than the ones selected. The option she wants is a linen material and if you feel it in person, it reminds me of burlap because it's so scratchy. I was very nice and told her that I think the dress is pretty, but the fabric feels like burlap and that everyone needs to wear the same fabric. I'm just frustrated that she expects me to cater to her.

For reference, here is one of the BM dress choices in black: (The other one is not available online until January)
    http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?langId=-1&catalogId=10051&storeId=10052&catentryId=6097115

Thanks for letting me rant.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Anniversary
  • That is a very simple dress that would look good on a variety of people.  BM dresses are kind of a pet peeve for me.  It's your wedding, and as long as you don't select something outrageously expensive or completely rediculous looking, it's the BM's job to shut up and wear it, or else politely decline being a BM.  Your FSIL can select whatever dress she wants in her own wedding, but your wedding is your decision.
  • Ughhh trust me..I know all about BM drama. I agree with pp 100%. As long as the price is within reason your BM's should wear the dress/color/style/fabric of your choice... after all it is YOUR wedding. 
    [url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt168226.aspx[/img][/url]

Expecting baby #1: May 17, 2013
  • I really love this dress. I have been looking at the same styles, and even colors. I think this is really pretty, I might even use it myself.  I agree with everyone above - the dress is pretty and inexpensive. It can also be worn for various occasions and satin stays looking good longer than linen.  It's your wedding and if all BMs agreed to wear it, she has to as well.

• Thanks Ladies, my mom said pretty much the same thing. I'm trying to think positive and maybe she'll love the dress choices when she sees them in person. That's just the thing about David's Bridal- their dresses look so different in person.

e_jakiela- I definitely recommend the cotton sateen fabric at DB. It's very nice, breathable and even has pockets. Despite what FSIL says, it is very flattering. There is a new style in this fabric coming out in their January catalog.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Anniversary
  • Just an FYI: that's my BM dress and all of the girls LOVE it!  We got them in watermelon and black (they're alternating colors).  Has FSIL tried on the dress yet?  Because all of my BMs were concerned with how they'd look in it, and once they put it on, they all loved it.
  • Is it just the fabric or is the linen dress a different style too? Maybe she wants a different style & doesn't feel comfortable in strapless. Also, did u discuss individually with each person how much they were comfortable with spending? If not, maybe the dress is a little out of her price range & this one is less money? A BM dress is nothing to get upset over -- find out if she has an actual concern or she's just being a PITA lol.
    Photobucket
  • edited November 2009
    Here's the dress she prefers: http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49998973&colorName=Black&subCategory=-49998976|-49998975|-49998973&top_category=&catentryId=6114131

It's a pretty dress, but so scratchy in person and the real thing has no shape to it. She has not tried on the dresses, just looked online so I'm hoping that she'll be willing to go look at them over Christmas. The dress she likes is $30 cheaper, so money could be an issue, although FI and I would be willing to pay. She and FMIL just like to always get their own way.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Anniversary
  • I notice this dress has straps too & a little more coverage -- maybe that is what she is worried about. Can you order it in the same material as the other dresses?
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards