Louisiana-New Orleans

Thanksgiving

Hi all!

My FI and I moved to Nola in January and won't be going back to CT for the Thanksgiving holiday. We've yet to make many friends here, as we're kind of homebodies! Our church was going to do a Thanksgiving day dinner, but due to lack of RSVPs they've cancelled it. 

Right now I plan on cooking a small dinner for my FI and I but wanted to see if anyone had ideas for something fun to do. I know there was an Easter parade this year. Does anything like this happen for Thanksgiving?

I'm thinking of going to Christmas in the Oaks Thanksgiving night and making it a tradition for us! 

Any thoughts are appreciated. 

Thanks! :)
0403_0929W BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Thanksgiving

• edited December 2011

First of all, Happy Thanksgiving.   It's hard to be away from family and old friends at the holidays and you are so smart to start your own traditions.  I don't know much about NOLA at Thanksgiving so  maybe other people can give you some good ideas.  We did spend one Thanksgiving there and I can tell you that the quarter becomes clogged with football fans and it's hard to get around.  Good luck on your first NOLA Thanksgiving. 

• edearedear member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A belated welcome to new orleans! I think thanksgiving day is a little quiet here.  The night before is a big "go out" night so maybe check out Frenchman St. or something along those lines.  Only thing I know of on Thursday is the Rebirth Brass Band plus Kermit Ruffins and the BBQ Swingers are playing at the Howlin Wolf Thanksgiving night. But I am sure there are other events. 

Christmas in the Oaks doesn't start till friday Nov 25th.  Have fun coming up with your own traditions.  My family always watched the Macy's parade on tv in the morning, had gumbo with our family meal and had a post-thanksgiving dinner walk with all the dogs (yes, the relatives brought theirs to the gathering).

Since the Christmas season is on us, you can check out:

http://www.neworleansonline.com/holiday/#

for all kinds of Christmas activities.  Non-Christmas - I use www.nolafunguide.com; nola.com; and wwltv.com for happenings around town.

If I am not prying, can I ask what church you belong to?

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • wineo929wineo929 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for that info!! I'm glad you told me about Christmas in the Oaks so we didn't just show up to nothing on Thanksgiving night! I'll have to check out the websites you've provided:)

I go to St. Augustine's Episcopal Church in Metairie. Everyone has been great and they make Nola feel more like home! :)

Have a great Thanksgiving!
    0403_0929W BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards