Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon Registries - which to choose?

I know that there are a lot of honeymoon registries out there... We dont want our guests to pay a service fee.  Can anyone recommend a reputable/easy to use site that has a low service fee to the bride and groom?

Re: Honeymoon Registries - which to choose?

• I think it is very rude to ask your guests for cash- Which is basically what a honeymoon registry is. I know people have strong opinions both ways. The other downside is that most people don't get you a gift until a couple of weeks before the wedding, so it will be very hard for you to plan because you will not know how much you will be getting.

I suggest you plan a honeymoon you can afford, make a small registry and spread the word that you are saving up for the honeymoon. That way you will be happily surprised when your guests give you generous gifts.
  • Ditto megandjay, use word of mouth to spread that you'd appreciate cash over physical gifts. It takes out the middle man so you don't have to worry about fees.
  • try the Honeyfund.com
    its totally free!
  • I agree with the PPs who've said that it's rude to ask your guests for cash via a honeymoon registry that won't actually book the excursions/accommodations/etc. for you with the gifted monies.  Plan a trip you can afford on your own and spread the word through your families and bridal party that you're saving up for a honeymoon.  People will get the hint that you'd prefer cash if you don't register at a brick and mortar store.

• Why does the theme song from The NeverEnding Story pop into my head?
  • Ok, before you say you are asking for referrals not opinions, this is a public board so I am entitled to post my opinion.

Asking for cash gifts is never appropriate no matter how you spin it. Most HM are  deceitful because you mislead your guests into thinking they are buying you an actual gift, when if fact, registry is just cutting you a check to spend however you want. 

Plan a HM that you can afford on your own without the help of other people. You will probably get cash gifts without having to ask for them, so just use that money toward HM extras.
  • I'll say it for her, she asked for referrals, not opinions. She has already made up her mind that she's doing a HM registry, and just wanted to know which one to use.

From what I've seen most have credit card, or other usage fees, but you can choose whether you incur the fee after the money is collected, or if your guest pays it. I haven't done that much research, so you may want to look into honeyfund like reese suggested.

Don't rely on the money for your honeymoon, just use it for extra things. I don't see how it's different than having a card (aka money) box at your wedding.
    Anniversary
  • [QUOTE]Why does the theme song from The NeverEnding Story pop into my head?
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]
    FTW!
  • edited September 2010
    [QUOTE]I'll say it for her, she asked for referrals, not opinions. She has already made up her mind that she's doing a HM registry, and just wanted to know which one to use. From what I've seen most have credit card, or other usage fees, but you can choose whether you incur the fee after the money is collected, or if your guest pays it. I haven't done that much research, so you may want to look into honeyfund like reese suggested. Don't rely on the money for your honeymoon, just use it for extra things. <strong>I don't see how it's different than having a card (aka money) box at your wedding.</strong>
    Posted by MarinoRabeno[/QUOTE]
    Unless the box has "Put $$$ in here please" on the side, the card box is not a means to directly ask<strong> </strong>for money. That's the difference.
  • I see no issue with a HM registry, in fact I had one. We did also have a registry with Target. I see no difference if you offer the option for people to contribute towards your honeymoon or buy you a kitchen item. They are spending money either way. People would rather put money towards something you and your FI will enjoy instead of something useless you couldn't care less about. I would agree that if you register for your honeymoon, only plan what you can afford on your own. You never know what people will contribute and you don't want to have to cancel or change plans (there are big fees for that, especially with airline tickets)

I booked my honeymoon through Liberty Travel but I don't remember what the fee is for people to contribute online though I'm sure they say on their website. People can stop in to the office where you booked it and contribute that way and there is no fee for that, it's free. They are a great company to book with, no fee to work with them and they do all the work for you. They also price match. I don't recommend booking online, I've seen a lot of people get screwed.

Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • honeyfund.com - no fees to you or your guest.
  • i agree with doing a Honeymoon registry...I think it really depends on your circumstances. i'm going to do one along with Target. My fiance and I have lived together for 2 years and i'm a second time bride, (his first) i have all my wedding gifts from my first wedding and don't need anything else...FI parents are throwing a big shower and we think this is the best option. i'm not going to register for all kinds of things that will sit on shelves in our house. If I were giving the gift, I would rather put money towards a honeymoon then know that i'm giving a useless gift anyways! We are going to use the honeyfund.com registry to do it:)
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards