Hawaii
Options

NWR: If the G20 comes to your town...

get out. We've got police cars on fire here in Toronto less than a mile from my apartment, and it's really, really angering to watch peaceful protests ruined by violent a-holes. All I can hear is the sound of sirens, and our city will be under siege for one more day. =S

I wish we could have gone away for the weekend to escape this. Street shutdowns, violent protesters and riot police with tear gas and rubber bullets... this is not the city I live in.

Re: NWR: If the G20 comes to your town...

• Options
    edited December 2011

I'm very political but having nothing better to say than Hang in there!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry Alyson, that's a major drag to your weekend! I'm sure it's not something that you would've predicted though, right?
  • Options
    fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yikes, I read about this on the news too.  I guess that's what happens to a G20 host city!  Hope the worst is over..  Hang in there!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ah, it always comes to this. I was hoping it wouldn't, but it did. My ex did the whole Black Bloc protesting at the G20 back in 2001(?) - they threw molotov cocktails at stuff.

I'm  also really a political creature - I do TONS of social justice work with my students, which is one of the reasons that I do not support violent protests... especially this kind. These kids aren't accomplishing anything by burning cop cars.
  • Options
    lwav8176lwav8176 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh I know! I am embarrased for our city in a way - a total misrepresentation. I left town late Friday after it took me almost 30 minutes to move about 10 car lengths on the 427. I am in favour for a technology-enhanced conference call next time!
  • Options
    mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What?! Holy crap! I feel so out of the news loop....going to Google that right now! My stepbrother lives in Toronto, what a huge bummer to return from Maui to! Stay safe.
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I read about this, this is just stupid.  If you have a point, go make it, but acting violently doesn't accomplish anything other than making your 'point' seem stupid and not important. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards