Nevada-Las Vegas

Honeymoon Help

We are at 80 days today, so I am kinda starting to freak out. You think I could get a temporary 80 day prescription for Xanax? J/k ( not really)

So we were planning on going to Puunta ( the knot made me change this lol) Cana, Dominican Republic, but the travel situation is turning into quite the nightmare (Leaving Vegas Monday and not getting to the final locale until Wednesday? Umm no thanks)

We’ve gone through a local travel agent and she has not been helpful. We asked her for some recommendations on where else might be good for the honeymoon given our preferences ( all inclusive, no kids, beach) and she came back with “ Jamaica has nice resorts.” Oh awesome, thanks for that helpful response, would you like to elaborate?

Anywho, anyone here have any helpful insights? We’d like to leave Monday  and get where we are going in a pretty short stint ( not into 11 hours flights J )  We are also traveling straight from Vegas, preferable to maximize the eating, drinking and napping we have planned Smile

Anyone have any recommendations or can walk me through on how you did your honeymoon, where you went, how long, etc?

Re: Honeymoon Help

• edited December 2011
    We ran into the same issue; our final destination was Antigua but the only way to get there direct is a flight on American that departs Miami at 11am.  There was some weird way we could have gotten from Vegas to Miami in time but we'd have to leave Vegas on a red eye at midnight.  Ended up spending a few days in New Orleans and then on to Miami from there which we could do in the same day.

Sorry not much help but I think you're going to have the same problem because the traditional honeymoon cities and countries where resorts are very rarely have direct flights to Vegas, and Vegas rarely has flights out to the big hub airports early enough to meet the connecting flight in the same day.

Might want to just try playing around with Expedia using a one way flight search with vegas as the originating point and the airport code where you need to get as the destination and see if it can come up with anything that gets you there in one day.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_honeymoon-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:b3454de4-6662-4f27-9da1-de5f35e09d3ePost:11b1ded4-4915-4410-8f03-1b9c05ece3d4">Re: Honeymoon Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]We ran into the same issue; our final destination was Antigua but the only way to get there direct is a flight on American that departs Miami at 11am.  There was some weird way we could have gotten from Vegas to Miami in time but we'd have to leave Vegas on a red eye at midnight.  Ended up spending a few days in New Orleans and then on to Miami from there which we could do in the same day. Sorry not much help but I think you're going to have the same problem because the traditional honeymoon cities and countries where resorts are very rarely have direct flights to Vegas, and Vegas rarely has flights out to the big hub airports early enough to meet the connecting flight in the same day. Might want to just try playing around with Expedia using a one way flight search with vegas as the originating point and the airport code where you need to get as the destination and see if it can come up with anything that gets you there in one day.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]
    Thanks!
    I like the idea of spending a night or two in another city. It would cut into our resort  stay, whereever that may be, but we'd make it fun, I'm sure.

Where in Antigua did you stay?
  • edited December 2011
    Went to Sandals there.  We really enjoyed sandals, not so much the Antigua airport.

• edited December 2011
    Why don't you try Cabo San Lucas, Mexico?  It's very close to Las Vegas, and without doing any research I would assume they have daily flights... I went there and loved it!  It's expensive, but most of the resorts there are very nice and the beach is beautiful.  Hope this helps you!
  • edited December 2011
    How do you feel about Mexico? I bet there are direct flights to Cabo, and the flight shouldn't be too long... maybe 3 hours?

ETA... and pp beat me to it!  Check Yapta: LiNk
  • wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_honeymoon-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:b3454de4-6662-4f27-9da1-de5f35e09d3ePost:ff7ae7c3-3a45-4523-8a09-d299825b7f08">Re: Honeymoon Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Went to Sandals there.  We really enjoyed sandals, not so much the Antigua airport.

Hubby and I are going to Antigua or St. Lucia next year for our one year anniversary.  Glad to hear a nice review of the Sandals there.

Ditto on Mexico, seems like you could get there from Vegas or LA which isn't too far.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_honeymoon-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:b3454de4-6662-4f27-9da1-de5f35e09d3ePost:7233141d-5745-4fab-be86-17b96e032b47">Re: Honeymoon Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why don't you try Cabo San Lucas, Mexico?  It's very close to Las Vegas, and without doing any research I would assume they have daily flights... I went there and loved it!  It's expensive, but most of the resorts there are very nice and the beach is beautiful.  Hope this helps you!
    Posted by robinpandnateh[/QUOTE]

Any tips on where to go/see/stay there?  We miss our honeymoon so much we're already planning the next trip.

• edited December 2011
    I really, really want to one of the Excellence Resorts. I've had a few of the people I know go to the one in Cancun and the one in DR. Theyre adult all-inclusive. Beautiful. It's not that long of a flight to Cancun. I think it was a 4.5 hr flight from LAX to Cancun. I would assume just under that from LAS

http://www.excellence-resorts.com/
  • edited December 2011
    I stayed at the Solmar Suites Resort when I was there.  It's on the Pacific side which means you can't swim but there are plenty of places on the Cortez side where the water is not as crazy.  The Solmar has a great location (it's located beside the Pedregal subdivision and is right in the town of Cabo San Lucas) and looks like they have done some renos.
    Friends of ours stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Rose and they loved it.  I have also heard great things about the Palmilla (the One and Only Palmilla)... lots of celebs, very private, great service etc.  That one is quite far out of town though!
    Feel free to PM me if you have any questions... I'm not really one for Mexico, but would go back to Cabo in a heartbeat!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_honeymoon-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:b3454de4-6662-4f27-9da1-de5f35e09d3ePost:267baeea-b241-44c2-a6db-89eb2df96b63">Re: Honeymoon Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really, really want to one of the Excellence Resorts. I've had a few of the people I know go to the one in Cancun and the one in DR. Theyre adult all-inclusive. Beautiful. It's not that long of a flight to Cancun. I think it was a 4.5 hr flight from LAX to Cancun. I would assume just under that from LAS <a href="http://www.excellence-resorts.com/" rel='nofollow'>http://www.excellence-resorts.com/</a>
    Posted by LilMissScareAll[/QUOTE]

Holy sh*t!  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZRXIjVdAys" rel='nofollow'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZRXIjVdAys</a>

• edited December 2011
    We had the same issue.  I really wanted to go to St. Lucia but DH was not feeling the long flight and stop over.  So we went to Cancun and stayed at Le Blanc Spa Resort.  It was by far the absolute best all inclusive I have ever been to.  The staff were super attentive and the food was delish!  I highly recommend you consider this place.  The flight was about 5 hours I think.  We left at about 10 am and landed around 3pm.  Still plenty of time to enjoy a sunset and fabulous dinner the first night. 
    check out the website http://www.leblancsparesort.com/. The pictures are no lie, it might even be better in person.
    I can go on and on about how wonderful our experience was there, but I digress.

Cabo is cool too.  The only thing to think about in Cabo is that you want to stay somewhere that is on the swimable beach side.  The sand is also a bit rocky, but still a great vacation locale.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Well, my vote is Excellence Playa Mujeres. Husband and I booked a 7 day trip there in October. We went with the rooftop terrace as well. I wanted to go so bad right after Vegas but we ate up our vacation time as we are going to the Florida Keys next month for a wedding.

The reason we went with Excellence is because of the level of service. It is all inclusive, premium drinks, in room mini bar, and 24 hour room service. The pictures of the resort are just stunning. I also like the close proximity to Isla Mujeres. It is super cheap to hop a ferry there and go for the day. Playa Norte is always voted one of the most beautiful beaches.

If you go with Excellence, check Expedia. We ended up saving $590 between airfare and hotel. I am so looking forward to going. Check the Trip Advisor reviews for Excellence. The negative reviews are far and few in between! 

I am already looking into booking Excellence Punnta Cana for early next year! 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_honeymoon-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:b3454de4-6662-4f27-9da1-de5f35e09d3ePost:35d43d4d-7f67-42d8-b3bb-f6c0440c0818">Re: Honeymoon Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Help : Holy sh*t!  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZRXIjVdAys" rel='nofollow'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZRXIjVdAys</a>

That is funny you posted this Vegas. The big complaint with the rooms that this does not show is that the door to the toilet is frosted glass and has a three inch gap on the bottom and top. Claim is bathroom time can be akward!
  • edited December 2011
    Any gambling near Excellence?  Just curious; after seeing that two level rooftop suite I want to go.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_honeymoon-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:b3454de4-6662-4f27-9da1-de5f35e09d3ePost:5f246133-d79e-4543-866e-8d05bea99bcb">Re: Honeymoon Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Any gambling near Excellence?  Just curious; after seeing that two level rooftop suite I want to go.

That is the whole reason we booked it! The rooftop terrace is amazing. Playa Mujeres actually only has three hotels. If you wanted to gamble you would have to go into Cancun, which would be a 30 minute taxi ride. Remeber though, taxis in Mexico are much cheaper. Or you could stay at Excellence Rivera Cancun, but have no rooftop terrace... :(

Hence the reason we are going back to Vegas 2 weeks before Playa Mujeres!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_honeymoon-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:b3454de4-6662-4f27-9da1-de5f35e09d3ePost:16e502d5-bf65-452d-91f4-a2e997e4f471">Re: Honeymoon Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Help : That is funny you posted this Vegas. The big complaint with the rooms that this does not show is that the door to the toilet is frosted glass and has a three inch gap on the bottom and top. Claim is bathroom time can be akward!
    Posted by jb51411[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see what you mean, actually in the video now that I re-watch it you can see that running the entire length of each side.  Yeah, I like bathroom time to be private; nothing a little painters tape can't fix lol.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_honeymoon-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:b3454de4-6662-4f27-9da1-de5f35e09d3ePost:ae154e74-2643-4e46-ba3d-978c0d38f945">Re: Honeymoon Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Help : Ah, I see what you mean, actually in the video now that I re-watch it you can see that running the entire length of each side.  Yeah, I like bathroom time to be private; nothing a little painters tape can't fix lol.

Hey, there is also a full balcony. I told my husband when it is "time" for there to be an alert and I will have no problem with sitting on the balcony with a Corona.

If you really want to go you should otally look into it. They have a sweet honeymoon package (free) and are running a 35 percent off sale.

Do it!!
  • Sara191431Sara191431 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Secrets Maroma Beach!  It gets great reviews on Trip Advisor, perfect for a HM, service sounds like it's outstanding, and so on and so on.

Check Trip Advisor for other places too, we debated between Secrets and Excellence Playa Mujeres, but decided on SMB, the beach is one of the best in the world.  EPM has more seawood, a decent amount more, but if you don't care about that, it sounds like they are neck and neck with everything else.  I'd like to try out EPM another time for sure.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    we went to Puunta Cana, DR and loved it!

we got married on Saturday, flew back to DC on Sunday, and left from DC really early Monday morning.  we had a 45 min layover in Charlotte.  overall, all that travel in 2 days was a bit much, but we really wanted to go back home before the honeymoon to drop all our wedding crap off, then get into honeymoon mode.  it worked out really well for us.

we booked our entire honeymoon on Orbitz, and spent less than $3,000 for 6 days, 5 nights, all inclusive, adults only, on a really nice beach.  we stayed at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_honeymoon-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:b3454de4-6662-4f27-9da1-de5f35e09d3ePost:11b1ded4-4915-4410-8f03-1b9c05ece3d4">Re: Honeymoon Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]We ran into the same issue; our final destination was Antigua but the only way to get there direct is a flight on American that departs Miami at 11am.  There was some weird way we could have gotten from Vegas to Miami in time but we'd have to leave Vegas on a red eye at midnight.  Ended up spending a few days in New Orleans and then on to Miami from there which we could do in the same day. Sorry not much help but I think you're going to have the same problem because the traditional honeymoon cities and countries where resorts are very rarely have direct flights to Vegas, and Vegas rarely has flights out to the big hub airports early enough to meet the connecting flight in the same day. Might want to just try playing around with Expedia using a one way flight search with vegas as the originating point and the airport code where you need to get as the destination and see if it can come up with anything that gets you there in one day.

I live in Antigua but am honeymooning in Vegas - on the trip back we are taking the overnight flight that PP talked about (11:10 pm I think) to Miami and then Miami - Antigua direct. I am sure there are Miami - DR direct flights. I love this because you can sleep on the flight and you arrive mid-afternoon at your destination and because of the time difference, you don't lose alot of time.

I'm not sure why your TA had you arriving on Wednesday! So if  you still want to HM in the Caribbean area I would look into that - check kayak.com - it'll give you a ton of options and prices. GL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ch2ndraCh2ndra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Were going to Tahiti and Bora Bora. Msg me if anyone want some information.
    Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards