Connecticut
Options

Good idea or bad idea?

My FI saw this and thought it was cute... we love the idea of releasing sky lanterns (like in the movie Tangled) from the lawn out over the ocean (well, Long Island sound, but yeah) at the end of the night.

They're not that expensive, and you only need 1 per every 2 adults (kids can 'help' their parents but it's mostly an adult thing as you need to light it and hold it so you don't get burned).  It's not much more dangerous than sparklers, and I thought it was a very cool idea - send your wishes out into the world, ya know?

The ones I'd buy are biodegradable - they're made out of rice paper and twine so they break down very easily and won't harm animals or sea creatures.

Is this too cheesy?  How would you suggest announcing it and running it?  I'm happy for all feedback!

Anniversary

Re: Good idea or bad idea?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That's so cool! I never saw the movie Tangled but I think I get the gist of what these are.....they float up and eventually come down in the water and just disintegrate? If they don't do any environmental harm, I say go for it! In fact, I might look into them too. i'm getting married on the water, as well :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_good-idea-bad-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:948c593b-4f3f-4012-a6de-51e296dad8f2Post:b4be91ad-f746-4d1b-89f9-abb737dac71f">Re: Good idea or bad idea?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's so cool! I never saw the movie Tangled but I think I get the gist of what these are.....they float up and eventually come down in the water and just disintegrate? If they don't do any environmental harm, I say go for it! In fact, I might look into them too. i'm getting married on the water, as well :)
    Posted by kfesta[/QUOTE]

They're supposed to fly up pretty high and be visible for up to a mile off before the light extinguishes and they drift down, onto the water or earth (they'll disintegrate even on land very quickly as it's made out of rice).

<a href="http://shop.wishlantern.com/White-Wish-Lanterns_c_1.html">http://shop.wishlantern.com/White-Wish-Lanterns_c_1.html</a>

You gotta use this company, even though others are less expensive, because they're biodegradable and don't use a wire base.  I couldn't do it if I knew there'd be 50-75 wire circles somewhere out in the environment afterwards!

I'm thinking for 150 guests, I'd want around 70 lanterns.  Need to figure out how to light them - I assume the long lighters and buy a bunch so people can pass them around.  Maybe we'll light our own, and then the two of us will light our family's, and then our family will help us light everyone else?

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I almost bought these, but decided to check with my venue first, and they obviously didn't allow the release of flaming balloons in a suburban area next to an old ass barn.... darn, really pretty tho!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_good-idea-bad-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:948c593b-4f3f-4012-a6de-51e296dad8f2Post:328f2069-4749-48bf-ba64-98452d00b5ba">Re: Good idea or bad idea?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good idea or bad idea? : They're supposed to fly up pretty high and be visible for up to a mile off before the light extinguishes and they drift down, onto the water or earth (they'll disintegrate even on land very quickly as it's made out of rice). <a href="http://shop.wishlantern.com/White-Wish-Lanterns_c_1.html" rel='nofollow'>http://shop.wishlantern.com/White-Wish-Lanterns_c_1.html</a> You gotta use this company, even though others are less expensive, because they're biodegradable and don't use a wire base.  I couldn't do it if I knew there'd be 50-75 wire circles somewhere out in the environment afterwards! I'm thinking for 150 guests, I'd want around 70 lanterns.  Need to figure out how to light them - I assume the long lighters and buy a bunch so people can pass them around.  Maybe <strong>we'll light our own, and then the two of us will light our family's, and then our family will help us light everyone else?
    </strong>Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

I think that's a good idea, get everyone in on it together, so everyone can share the "lighting process." I'm so glad you shared this! I think these are so cool, that even if my venue says no, I might get some anyways, and let them go another time. Maybe at our rehearsal dinner or something like that. It also might be a cool idea to let one go on the beach, on our first anniversary. Look at me, now I'm finding an excuse to use them for any occasion! haha, I guess I am hooked!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    If you like the idea and haven't seen Tangled, I'd highly recommend it!!!  My FI even loved it - it's on demand on Netflix so we didn't even have to pay to rent it.

I think rehearsal dinner would be a great alternative.  I am totally in love with the idea!  I was thinking maybe doing it to end the night?  We have to leave by 11pm anyway, so maybe have our DJ declare a last dance and then invite everyone go out on the lawn to send us off?  We'll say something like, "The marriage that was created today will touch many lives - the energy from their love will serve to light up the lives of those around them.  Please join the married couple to send positive light into the world."

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that's the coolest thing ever. I'm going to look into it myself. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good idea. There was an article on CNN a while ago about how they do this somewhere in Poland for some festival - it looked so pretty.

You could get those long matches that would be used for fireplaces/grills at like, Christmas Tree Shop or something for really cheap, and people could "pass the flame" to one another.
  • Options
    jacki8788jacki8788 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that is awesome! Def go for it--it's something unique that will make your day that much more memorable! I doubt my place would let us do them, but I still love the idea & want to try them sometime! thanks for sharing!

You could prob even put a little note in the programs, like "Lighting Ceremony, 10pm" and maybe a quick explanation? That way guests will start wondering what it is, and you can announce it later that night and explain it. I like the idea of "passing along the light" too :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    rswan412rswan412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love the idea, also like the idea of letting guests know what it is in advance :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i love the idea as well.
    abc
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it looks gorgeous. What is the light - a flame? If so that would be fine to send into the ocean, right?
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Yep, it's all made of rice paper and twine and a small combustible section. You light the combustable section and it fills the rice paper bubble with hot air, so it rises. Same technology as hot air balloons. As soon as the combustible part burns out, it will drift to earth. If it lands in water, it will very quickly dissintegrate. If it lands on a solid object, it will dissintegrateover a few days or during the next decent rainfall. I can't seem to see a downside, minus the obvious worries about fire and children and possibly drunk people. We were talking, and we might do this after dinner before dancing since our photog's and videographer will leave around 10pm and we don't want to interrupt dancing!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to a sky lantern festival in Taiwan; it is indeed beautiful. The town that has the festival yearly hires ppl to clean up the day after. Check with your venue and the local authority before you purchase anything. Even if the lanterns are biodegradable, they still might see it as hazardous. 
  • Options
    courtneyymicourtneyymi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG! I was explaining this idea to my FI on friday nite. We had recently done these lanterns at a frineds benefit a week or so ago and they looked amazing in the sky! While I was just at the Big E this weekend and we were able to purchase 125 of the biodegradble ones for 50 bucks! The lady had just that many and was happy to get rid of them. I think it's a cool idea and I am excited to do it! I say go for it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I saw them at Xpect discounts but was thinking they could catch something on fire if they didn't fly high enough and got stuck say in a tree or something. Guess I'm being wierd. But you never know. I had my entire lawn burned up when I was a kid by a firercraker gone crazy,

• Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    We're lucky in that we have a HUGE lawn at our venue right on the water.  So we were thinking we'd have all the guests walk down to the water and have the bridal party (my brother and FI's two groomsmen) help set it up and everyone to learn how to light them.  That way it would be very hard for them to go anywhere near something they could catch on, and there's a high probability that they'll land in the water.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Such a cute idea!
    imageMoo Moo Kitten is resting... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_good-idea-bad-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:948c593b-4f3f-4012-a6de-51e296dad8f2Post:10241905-fa86-4f96-88b3-023aff9b3c48">Re: Good idea or bad idea?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been to a sky lantern festival in Taiwan; it is indeed beautiful. The town that has the festival yearly hires ppl to clean up the day after. Check with your venue and the local authority before you purchase anything. Even if the lanterns are biodegradable, they still might see it as hazardous. 
    Posted by christikao[/QUOTE]

This.

I've seen these lanterns in many parts of Asia during the lantern festival, fifteen days after the New Year.  They are definitely beautiful in the sky; not so much when they're washing up on an otherwise pristine beach. 

I have to say I'm against using them unless a cleanup crew is hired to mitigate damage to the environment that results from these items.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards