Not Engaged Yet

New years resolution...

So for my new years resolution I have been trying to eat healthier...not quite on the diet that Cait is on hahah. I have been using myfitnesspal.com which I really like so far because its free, there is an Iphone app and it is user friendly.

I also want to start getting back into shape, I have yet to make it to the gym, I've been super sick lately, but I'm working on it.  I think im going to need someone to kick me in the butt to get me jump started and motivated.

How is everyone doing with their resolutions?
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: New years resolution...

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Still biting my damned nails... didn't go running today (but I plan to tomorrow! And I'm going to pole dancing tonight!)

But I've only broken this stupid diet once, with BF adding cheese and salt to my scrambled eggs this morning.  Very sweet of him to accomodate me like that!  We fought last night about this dumb diet - I think he's being too extreme, he thinks I'm not being supportive since I criticized the premises of the diet (i.e. cutting out dairy and beans is pointless and dumb in my opinion, and whole grains in moderation would be okay).  But onward we go, eating bland crazy person food.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011

Ahh biting your nails? I faught that one forever!! I quit when I got accrilics for my cousins wedding 7/7/07...they take forever to grow back out nicely when you geth them taken off but it was totally worth it.

And pole dancing, I've heard that was a great work out! Have you done it before? Let me know how it goes.

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." Eleanor Roosevelt
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'm with OP - I'm sick, how am I supposed to be good at my new year's resolution?!  Plus, I didn't really MAKE one, but I know I have to get off my butt eventually.

But my first new year's resolution is: kick this snot out of my body, basically.

Ugh.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_new-years-resolution?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bb393bce-a2e5-41a2-b594-208e0cd77035Post:ca82c123-a9a1-49a3-8825-6fff7ac058d7">Re: New years resolution...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ahh biting your nails? I faught that one forever!! I quit when I got accrilics for my cousins wedding 7/7/07...they take forever to grow back out nicely when you geth them taken off but it was totally worth it. And pole dancing, I've heard that was a great work out! Have you done it before? Let me know how it goes.
    Posted by kdwyer4[/QUOTE]

I've quit nail biting on and off for the last 8 years.  Most recently, my nails were beautiful for our trip to Europe.  On the flight back, I bit them all off.

And yes, I've been to pole dancing before.  Lots of fun!  Great exercise, too, and a wonderful confidence booster.  You just feel feminine and sexy after one of those classes - most of my workouts make me feel out of shape and gross, so it's a nice change.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_new-years-resolution?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bb393bce-a2e5-41a2-b594-208e0cd77035Post:688d2cf8-7315-4234-82c9-9353495d43e4">Re: New years resolution...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: New years resolution... : I've quit nail biting on and off for the last 8 years.  Most recently, my nails were beautiful for our trip to Europe.  On the flight back, I bit them all off.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

If I can make a suggestion - I've been getting the UV gels on my nails for a year now and it 100% broke me of nail-biting. The gel goes over your real nail (they might give you fake nails if your real nails are too short, but they grow out) and a UV light makes the gel harden. I used to pay $10 a manicure, only to have them looking chipped and nasty by the 3rd day because I would keep putting my nails in my mouth. Well, with the UV gels, it's $30 every four weeks and the UV gel doesn't chip. My nails have never been this long, ever. It's worth looking into.

As for my own resolutions, I think I'm doing well. I started my cooking blog and it's very theraputic. I'm cooking more and I'm triyng to eat better.

The weight loss thing is weird - I go to the gym at least 3x a week but I don't feel like I'm losing weight. A trainer at the gym told me that it was because I'm doing weights and muscle weighs more than fat. I said, "Well, can I stop doing weights?" She said, "Why would you do that?"

FI told me I look like I'm losing weight, but I can't help feeling bigger than I was =/

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I've been doing pretty good with mine so far.  I had 1 soda and 3 bottles of water yesterday (I'm tyring to limit myself to only one soda a day, then just have water), I also ate pretty good yesterday AND did a P90X workout.  I'm going to try to workout again today, but we'll see how that goes because I'm sore.  I just hope I can keep this up!!
    Anniversary
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bside - Try to focus on something else than the number the scale as your gauge. When I was losing weight I'd take my measurements at the begining of every month. I found the same thing as you, that muscle weights more than fat, and I wasn't feeling like things were getting better despite people telling me I looked good. The measurements helped me focus better.

In terms of my resolution, the eating better is going well but gym going hasn't been happening really. Mind you I had curling last night, so I wasn't sitting on my butt doing nothing either. The other days so far this year, no excuse.
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bella, I agree with Hazel. Don't give up on the weights! They'll give you more tone and definition. I had a friend who lost a LOT of weight. But she wishes she had done more weights through it because she's still "flabby" even though she's very, very slim. Measurements are definitely helpful.

I haven't gone to the gym (yet) but I'm planning to go over the weekend. However, I have been eating REALLY well. And drinking tons of water. So I feel great about that :)

Plus I haven't bitten my nails off yet! They're growing :D
  • edited December 2011
    I never thought of taking measurements. I think I have a cloth measuring tape somewhere in my apartment and if I don't I'll just go buy one.

Where should I be taking the measurements?

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do the biceps, bust, waist, hips, and thighs. Just use a cloth one and keep a record that way. Just try to be consistent with the area you're measuring.
  • edited December 2011
    i've been doing really well.  my sugar cravings are a little more manageable and i've exercised every day for at least 30 minutes.  and i'm staying within my allowed calories.  :)  the best part is the reduced cravings though... it helps a LOT.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm doing pretty good! I have been tackling the most annoying "clutter zones" in my apartment, doing a little bit each day.

Yesterday I sorted out all of the old magazines, and advertised them for freecycling.

I scored a cute little table from the trash (yes, I'm one of those types) and put all of my plants on it so they are no longer cluttering up my window sill.

I also reorganized the food cabinet in my kitchen, and tossed out anything expired.I then reorganized stuff in my kitchen to make more counter space. In the process, I repurposed a small kitchen cart as my little tea and coffee "preparation zone." It holds my espresso machine, grinder, french press, tea pot and water heater all in one place. I'm very pleased with myself ;-)

To be fair, I have been going to jury duty instead of work. Jury duty only takes up three hours of my day, so I have been spending most of my extra time cleaning, organizing and working on my resume.

• edited December 2011
    wow musikbx...  you're impressive!  i still have some decluttering and trashing to do myself.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_new-years-resolution?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:bb393bce-a2e5-41a2-b594-208e0cd77035Post:155b553e-0e03-4e36-bef0-ecd725686129">Re: New years resolution...</a>:
    [QUOTE]i've been doing really well.  my sugar cravings are a little more manageable and i've exercised every day for at least 30 minutes.  and i'm staying within my allowed calories.  :)  the best part is the reduced cravings though... it helps a LOT.
    Posted by CocoBellaF[/QUOTE]

Any specific way you are kicking the cravings? I dont crave sweets, just salty! I am a big snacker and dont tend to eat big meals, which I am trying to change but thats not going well- seeing actually how many calories i am consuming is helping a little bit.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_new-years-resolution?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bb393bce-a2e5-41a2-b594-208e0cd77035Post:deee69c3-60a7-4570-afff-07aecbef906a">Re: New years resolution...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: New years resolution... : Any specific way you are kicking the cravings? I dont crave sweets, just salty! I am a big snacker and dont tend to eat big meals, which I am trying to change but thats not going well- seeing actually how many calories i am consuming is helping a little bit.
    Posted by kdwyer4[/QUOTE]

well the first two nights were awful.  i cried and whined about it to my FI and he basically told me to suck it up.  i did have a couple things but i didn't binge like i normally do.  last night was much better.  i bought a kids' size froyo from braum's and he helped me eat it.  it's low in sugars and only 90 cals and it actually satisfied me. 

but mainly?  a lot of crying about it.  and going for a walk instead.

i'm also a big snacker, but it's getting better.  today i haven't had ANY snacks.  and yesterday i only snacked on 2 clementines.

skinny cow ice cream sandwiches are great for sweet cravings, and baked tortilla chips with chunky natural salsa are great for my snacky cravings.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Katie, the way I try to curb cravings is to replace them. If I want something sweet, I go for fruit. If I want something salty, I go for a bit of peanut butter or cheese.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_new-years-resolution?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bb393bce-a2e5-41a2-b594-208e0cd77035Post:8e752037-1f85-42ab-a72b-446a8b06bcfe">Re: New years resolution...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Katie, the way I try to curb cravings is to replace them. If I want something sweet, I go for fruit. If I want something salty, I go for a bit of peanut butter or cheese.
    Posted by heyimbren[/QUOTE]

sharp cheddar cheese and 3 or 4 crackers is also a great fix.  :)  mmmm cheese!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips, on a side note, why is everyones pictures the same? it is like a little green screen..i refreshed still the same. Does anyone else see this?
  • edited December 2011
    also mini 100 cal bags of all natural popcorn.  they are fantastic.

i don't notice the screens...?
  • edited December 2011

this is what i see, it says something about the sight being down...hmmm might just be mine.

• edited December 2011
    uh... i see it now.  weird.
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Bside -- increasing your muscle mass also helps your metabolism. Muscle is metabolically active tissue, which means it burns calories just sitting there. Fat does not.

Muscle is more dense than fat, so a 150 pound person with more muscle than another person who weighs 150 will LOOK smaller. One pound is one pound, so muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, but people often express the density difference this way.

so don't stop with those weights! Check out the getting in shape board. They often talk about the benefits of heavy lifting.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards