New Jersey

**uppereast**

You mentioned (below) your skin being prone to redness, then how it can break out. I have this problem, too...

I thought mine was sensitivity that caused some adult acne; when I was at a new derm. recently for something unrelated, he looked at my face & said he believes I have mild rosacea!

I imagine you've ruled that out? We're still (the doc & I) trying to find treatment/products that my skin "likes."
A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
imageimage
"5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: **uppereast**

• uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Rosacea hasn't been ruled out yet -- I get red and patchy sometimes when I eat things (spicy things will do it, but sometimes bread will do it.  it is weird).  Hot and cold and interesting conversations and drinking can all do it too (but it is really inconsistent).  I wouldn't be surprised if I have early rosacea. Unfortunately, my symptoms never happen when I'm at the doctor so I don't think she's that impressed with my tales of woe.  Last week I got a drink at the airport and the bartender was about to send me to the emergency room because I got so red and patchy though.  I hate the comments people make (although they're seemingly out of concern and not out of "what a freak!" so I don't blame them).

Did your derm put you on anything?  Have you tried Prosacea?  It is OTC and I hear really good, but it is impossible to find at the awful drug stores in the city.

Unfortunately, the acne I get is not rosacea-type.  Retin-A keeps it under control well though (and definitely helps for lines and such!)
  • edited December 2011
    The acne I get isn't rosacea-type either so I'm QUITE confused (& I don't think the doctor has made a concrete determination yet- is concrete determination redundant? lol)

He gave me a topical treatment/concealer (tinted green): Avar-e. I think it has caused pimples on my nose so I've put a call in to him today & I'm waiting to hear from him.

I am noooooo doctor but yours sounds like textbook mild rosacea, redness exacerbated by foods, alcohol, etc. I also didn't know it usually has its onset in women in their 20s & 30s (<-- I'm in my 30s).

Sigh. I just don't want the redness anymore!!
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

• Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

*Butting in**

I have rosacea in a bad way.  When I speak in public my ears get so read its crazy.  My doc gave me some kind of oral pill I can take a few days beofe and event so it doesnt flare up as much.  It happens also when I eat certain things. I have cream to put on in the am and at night.

• edited December 2011
    My cream really isn't working, Dana :(, but I'm not convinced (neither is the doc, I don't think) it's actually rosacea...

I just have way too much red that I shouldn't- I'm gentle with my skin- around my nose/sides of nose. It hasn't responded to acne or rosacea meds yet!
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

• leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Uppereast, not to hijack the convo here but, I have acne problems as well (and I'm in my early 30s).  Does the retina-A you are using dry your skin out or make it flaky?

I was using retina-a micro .04%.  i stuck with it for a long time, just using once a week, but it was literally tearing my face off - I would peel like crazy and it was not a pretty sight. It definintely helped the acne though. 

WHich one are you using?  I have heard about a new  one called Refissa that is supposed to be more gentle.
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_uppereast-11?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:b101f3f1-903d-4abb-8b12-904459e3a85ePost:143b5449-b2b1-4e1b-9c1a-9687e00c7770">Re: **uppereast**</a>:
    [QUOTE]Uppereast, not to hijack the convo here but, I have acne problems as well (and I'm in my early 30s).  Does the retina-A you are using dry your skin out or make it flaky?   I was using retina-a micro .04%.  i stuck with it for a long time, just using once a week, but it was literally tearing my face off - I would peel like crazy and it was not a pretty sight. It definintely helped the acne though.  WHich one are you using?  I have heard about a new  one called Refissa that is supposed to be more gentle.
    Posted by leah2b[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm using Retin-A Micro too.  When I first went on it, I was flaky for the next few days but I adjusted to it really well (despite very dry skin).  I only use it once a day, and I use very thick moisturizers (because my skin feels like it is going to flake off about 5 seconds after I wash it if I don't moisturize right away, but that happens with or without Retin-A).  And I really do think it has made a difference with aging too, which is why I never ever ever want to go off it (I'm 30 so I'm trying to be proactive about this stuff).</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • nml2000nml2000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom was actually just diagnosed with the same thing. Coulldn't believe she was starting to get breakouts at 50 years old. Has anyone tried Metrogel? That worked a bit for her. Now I believe they are putting her on tetracycline. Not sure if this would be of interest to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards