New York-Long Island

Thatched Cottage Reviews

Has anyone been to or booked their wedding at Thatched Cottage in Centerport?  Would love some input on food/ service/ staff!

Thanks!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Thatched Cottage Reviews

• I went to a wedding there a couple years ago - it has a nice outside area for cocktail hour and a really long cocktail set-up (the room is really long).  The main room itself wasn't  huge - i believe my friends had about 250 and it was tight.  I remember the food being good.  Service wasnt great but wasnt horrible.  
  • I just went there on the 21st to view it. We went back on the 22nd for a tasting. I thought the food was good but they served us mostly seafood and I don't eat seafood. What I ate was nice and those who came with me said it was good too.

Many co-workers loved the Thatched Cottage. Said it was great!
  • I have a tasting for thatched cottage on the 29th.  What is your date?  and out of curiousity what were you quoted?
  • We were looking for Nov 2013 and we were quote at $80.00 for a Friday night. I also went for a tasting and the food was good but the place was very dirty. We have crossed it off our list :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Me and my Fiance are getting married April 2013 and just recently chose our hall for the reception. After visiting seven halls, we narrowed down our choices to two, including the Thatched Cottage

After initial visits alone, we brought both our parents with us to view each hall. At the Thatched Cottage our sales rep was busy when we arrived for a 6 o'clock appointment and wasnt ready for us until 6:45pm. While we were waiting, all of us were given a tour by another employee of the Thatched Cottage. The cocktail area and grounds outside are beautiful, however I was disappointed in the main reception room as it felt narrow and in my opinion didnt have a large dance floor. 

After the tour my fiance and I stayed and finally spoke with our sales rep. When we starting talking about pricing and additional options I was suprised that the Thatched Cottage would not throw any amenities in to try and encourage us to have our reception with them. Out of the seven places we went to see, five of them threw in the Viannesse hour without us having to push for it. I should also mention, that out of the seven places we viewed, the Thatched Cottage is the ONLY one that had a site fee (we are getting married in a Church, not at the hall), the site fee was $550 and then 20% service charge and tax on top of that. The Thatched Cottage was unwilling to work with us except for throwing in an ice sculpture ($350) and half price on a Chocolate Fountain ($500 instead of $1000). 

After going through the pricing, our sales rep then told us that another couple was interested in the date we wanted and that if we didnt decide that night she couldn't hold the date. We told her that we were going to make a decision by the following day and asked her to hold the date for 16 hours for us to think about, however she was unwilling to work with us. She told us to take a few minutes to go outside and think about if we wanted to book that night or we would run the risk of losing out date.

Bottom line the Thatched Cottage made us feel expendable, pressured us into making a decision, did not offer as many amenities as any other reception halls we visited and were more expensive then most. We did not book the Thatched Cottage and went with the other reception hall because they were accomodating, always pleasant, never pushy and genuinely wanted to make our wedding day special for us.
  • My MOH had her wedding there and it was awful!  The staff was rude and the food was bland at best, glad you chose another venue!
  • I visited the Thatched cottage by recommendation of a few of my coworkers and mother in law.

During my visit the banquet manager walked us through the venue and to our luck a ceremony was about to begin and we got to see the bride walking to the canopy outside by the water.It was very beautiful outside and felt very intimate. The outside grounds are neatly groomed and beautiful, perfect for outdoor ceremony and cocktail hour weather permitting. The cocktail hour room is huge and the food was plenty! I was slightly unimpressed by the size of the main room, the ceilings were low and just 1 bar but the view was breathtaking. My fiancé and I decided to go back for a food tasting, best idea ever. The food was amazing, the presentation was beautiful. You can definitely see their attention to detail and their service was great. There were a lot of seafood dishes but not too many. The sesame chicken, sliders, fries dumplings, chicken Francese was all AMAZING! Everyone loved the food and the whole experience. Despite the small hall room, we overweighed out options compared to other venues and decided to book. The staff is extremely attentive and we can’t wait until our event!
  • I was thinking about a friday night wedding at thatched cottage...since i'm only in NY for a week I don't want to waste time seeing places I can't afford.  What is the usual budget for this venue?  I read a post that stated its very expensive,,,can anyone help?Thank you!
  • We were quoted $82/pp for a Sunday evening wedding (which if I remember correctly is almost the same as their Friday night wedding prices).  Of all of the places we visited (7 venues, all with water view), Thatched was the most reasonable. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_thatched-cottage-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:120Discussion:0150ae6b-28a9-4bcc-9467-f543990d57d9Post:e83abcfd-dc6f-4386-965c-b7d4313efa59">Re: Thatched Cottage Reviews</a>:
    [QUOTE]Despite the small hall room, we overweighed out options compared to other venues and decided to book. The staff is extremely attentive and we can’t wait until our event!
    Posted by PaulaStephen24[/QUOTE]

<div>Do you mind me asking how big your wedding will be? We loved Thatched Cottage. You get a lot of bang for your buck, it beautiful, and everyone who I know who's had a wedding there has been thrilled. I'm just a little concerned about the size of the ballroom. They say they can do up to 275, and my guest list will be around 250, but I just wanted some confirmation on this. </div>
  • Wow $80 is  a good price. I went there looking to get married in 2015, they quoted us $115 pp for a Friday night in May. This was a our 1st venue we looked out, thank you for sharing what you were quoted because just goes to show you how much you can negoicate with them!

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_thatched-cottage-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:120Discussion:0150ae6b-28a9-4bcc-9467-f543990d57d9Post:4a8b1f04-a285-4362-a71a-cc7de4b5f38d">Re: Thatched Cottage Reviews</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were looking for Nov 2013 and we were quote at $80.00 for a Friday night. I also went for a tasting and the food was good but the place was very dirty. We have crossed it off our list :(
    Posted by JasonKaitlin[/QUOTE]
  • Just booked our 5/4/14 Sunday day wedding at Thatched Cottage!  Super excited!
  • I am looking into the Thatched Cottage, have  been tones of places but keep thinking about this one, it was the 1st we saw too. Just curious how much did they quote you? I was quote $115.00 for June 2015?

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_thatched-cottage-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:120Discussion:0150ae6b-28a9-4bcc-9467-f543990d57d9Post:6fea3fea-ee09-42c4-95bf-e509021c08e3">Re: Thatched Cottage Reviews</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just booked our 5/4/14 Sunday day wedding at Thatched Cottage!  Super excited!
    Posted by mrsjanessalee[/QUOTE]
  • My fiance and I fell in love with Thatched Cottage.  It was our 4th place we went to.  We did the taste testing and it was great.  They threw in some thing for us.  We were quoted $116 a head (thats including tax and gratuity).  We are getting married Sunday August 3, 2014.  They were the best priced and gave the most food.  Our wedding will be about 150-175.  The main room isn't that big but the I like the one wedding and grounds are beautiful.  We are dealing with Maureen and she is more than helpful and she was one of the reasons why we said yes because the other sales people we met with at other places were rude and just didn't give us that feeling of being welcomed.  Good Luck!

• anyone know the prices for a Sat evening wedding here?
  • I just booked also for July 2nd 2015 also dealing with Maureen, she has been amazing so far. Also Maureen has been such a help and one of the reasons why we kept going back. Did you use any of their preferred vendors?
  • I visited the Thatched cottage by recommendation of a few of my coworkers and mother in law.

During my visit the banquet manager walked us through the venue and to our luck a ceremony was about to begin and we got to see the bride walking to the canopy outside by the water.It was very beautiful outside and felt very intimate. The outside grounds are neatly groomed and beautiful, perfect for outdoor ceremony and cocktail hour weather permitting. The cocktail hour room is huge and the food was plenty! I was slightly unimpressed by the size of the main room, the ceilings were low and just 1 bar but the view was breathtaking. My fiancé and I decided to go back for a food tasting, best idea ever. The food was amazing, the presentation was beautiful. You can definitely see their attention to detail and their service was great. There were a lot of seafood dishes but not too many. The sesame chicken, sliders, fries dumplings, chicken Francese was all AMAZING! Everyone loved the food and the whole experience. Despite the small hall room, we overweighed out options compared to other venues and decided to book. The staff is extremely attentive and we can’t wait until our event!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards