Not Engaged Yet

Ewwww! Ugly Bugs in my house!

I have a bunch of these ugly bugs in my house!. I googled it, and they are boxelder bugs? Never heard of them!

~~December 3, 2011~~

Re: Ewwww! Ugly Bugs in my house!

• bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Ewwww! I have no idea what those are but I hate bugs. I seriously freak out whenever I see them. BF makes fun of me for it but they are so creepy and crawly and so tiny so they could be anywhere!! I just hate them.

• edited December 2011
    Grosss! They look somewhat like stinkbugs, which we had an infestation of in Pittsburgh last fall. Ugh.
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• edited December 2011
    They are nasty and when they fly, they run into the lights and make a loud smack noise. When I kill them, they stain the wall. Lovely.

On a good note, my cats seem to like to stalk them. LOL
    ~~December 3, 2011~~
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, yes, we had a shitton of those in Tucson last summer. They're drawn to light and they eat organic material, so be sure to turn lights off in closets or all your wool coats and sweaters will suddenly develop holes.

They're also pretty resistant to any type of bug spray, unfortunately, so just try to keep windows closed and lights dim as much as possible.

Sorry, love. :( They're creepy little fuckers, but at least they're herbivores so you don't have to worry about bites or anything.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    Do they bite?

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Desert!

I've been reading online about them. They are very crunchy when I kill them. Thankfully bugs don't bother me. I live outdoors for 8 weeks during the summer while I'm running a GS camp!
    ~~December 3, 2011~~
  • desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    Nope, they don't bite.

Usually during the day you can find them on sunny windows and smoosh them. Then just be careful not to let more in.

I know they're creepy, but other than the ick factor, they're pretty harmless.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, that stinks!  We get palmetto bugs (best I can tell, a form of large cockroache) once in awhile.  Haven't had one for probably 6 months or so, but they do show up.  And occasionally a small lizard.

And last June we had termites.  The wings were EVERYWHERE, it was like we were swimming in wings!  We still uncover some now and again when we move a piece of furniture.  My big tough Marine freaks out every time he sees a wing, it's hilarious!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    Ewww! I think wings would be nasty! But, I did my 6th grade science fair on termites, so I'd probably be completely interested in watching them and looking at them.
    ~~December 3, 2011~~
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Ewww.  Those look nasty.  My school has stinkbug issues, and my parents' house is currently stinkbug infested.  It's driving mom crazy, but the puppies enjoy going after them when they land on the tile floors.

Calindi, I loathe palmetto bugs.  They creep me out majorly.  When we lived in SC, they would crawl up through the shower drain.  Worst surprise ever when you're about to get in the shower in the morning.  Daddy used to have to come save me from them.  I'm worthless when it comes to killing bugs.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Ooooooo!! Pick me!!!!! I'm a real expert on those little bugs! They're always ALL over the place where I live. Seriously. This fall there were piles of them in my window. You cant' get rid of them very easy either, because they keep coming back. You've got to find out where they're getting in mostly.
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are those the ones that click really loudly when they jump? I remember at my parents house as a kid we had some what of an infestation of the clicking ones at one time, and those creeped the hell outta me.
  • sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BF's dad got stung by a scorpion a few week's ago. Thankfully, he's okay, but he had to go to the ER for a dose of anti-venom and Valium to stop the muscle spasms. He was in pain for several days. Now I'm super freaked out and meticulously checking any space I put my hand or foot in.
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ewwww-ugly-bugs-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:5e936df6-537a-4131-86ae-20f993d8013cPost:fc48be29-5bab-4867-87eb-c108cd629ce9">Re: Ewwww! Ugly Bugs in my house!</a>:
    [QUOTE] Calindi, I loathe palmetto bugs.  They creep me out majorly.  When we lived in SC, they would crawl up through the shower drain.  Worst surprise ever when you're about to get in the shower in the morning.  Daddy used to have to come save me from them.  I'm worthless when it comes to killing bugs.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

You wanna talk about a bad surprise?  How about the morning my alarm went off, I stumbled into the bathroom to pee, and shortly after I sat down, something touched my butt.  I screamed (and I usually don't scream) SOOOOO loudly!  I don't know whether it had crawled in there or somehow come up the plumbing, but that was NOT where I wanted a bug!  That little jerk got flushed!

Anniversary

• peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ewwww-ugly-bugs-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5e936df6-537a-4131-86ae-20f993d8013cPost:ee588e06-8eac-430c-b855-aa50d35ffcf8">Re: Ewwww! Ugly Bugs in my house!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ewwww! Ugly Bugs in my house! : You wanna talk about a bad surprise?  How about the morning my alarm went off, I stumbled into the bathroom to pee, and shortly after I sat down, something touched my butt.  I screamed (and I usually don't scream) SOOOOO loudly!  I don't know whether it had crawled in there or somehow come up the plumbing, but that was NOT where I wanted a bug!  That little jerk got flushed!
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

<div>I would have died.  Heart attack.  End. Over. Finis. </div>
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • lemoncookieslemoncookies member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they light up!!
    We used to have those bugs in our house when I was growing up, and one day I caught one outside on a net and it was glowing.
    It made me sad to think of all the times I had killed one :(
    Maybe that's why I don't kill bugs!

So, it looks like a glowing bug to me. I don't know if that makes it more or less acceptable to you though!
  • MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have those but my grandma lives about a mile away and always has tons... Weird. I hate bugs.
  • deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ick. We have bugs that look kind of similar, but they're all black and tinier. They're plastered to the side of our house and our neighbors' and quite a few have managed to get inside. It sucks. I feel your pain. :(
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards