Wedding Invitations & Paper

I like paper. But not spending money. Will this work?

Hi everyone,

FI and I came up with this as a plan, and I'd love feedback on whether you experienced lads and ladies out there can see any major pitfalls with this idea.

Our ceremony and reception are in different locations.  We also have an international guest list.  Only half of our invitees are in the US.  I LOVE letterpress invitations.  Really simple, clean, elegant, formal ones -- but with texture.  Sigh.  This is what we are planning on doing:
-ordering invites and envelopes
-ordering a reception card

No RSVP or response cards.  We would like guests to RSVP via our website or phone.  Our website is on wedding window.  They do have a premium feature of named RSVPs.  Our hotel room block, directions, etc information are all on the website.  We do not plan on including any more inserts.

A couple of questions:
-is it ok to not include a reponse card?  It would be a nightmare trying to get return postage for all the various countries....
-would it be better to put the RSVP information (phone/website) on the invite itself or on the reception card?
-anybody have experience using te RSVP function on wedding window? any major issues?

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

346 Invited imageimage 206 Are ready to party!! image 115 Are missing out image 28 Are making me wait Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I like paper. But not spending money. Will this work?

• I would include an RSVP card, and just not attach postage for international guests. I'm sure no one will be offended and the reason for it is obvious. I wouldn't skip the RSVP card altogether though. I've thrown several parties that asked for RSVP by phone or email and it's a nightmare trying to get people to respond. 9 times out of 10 they simply forget if there's not a card right there in front of their face. That could just be people I know though. Personally when I get a wedding invitation, I won't hang the invite itself on the fridge since I like to keep them and doing that would probably ruin it, but I like to hang the RSVP card up so that I see it and remember to send it in before it's due. But if you did an RSVP card, you could put the phone/email info right on that, which solves your problem of where to put it. I would not have RSVP through a website. While it's a cute idea, I've heard too many horror stories about panicked brides running around like crazy after the RSVP due date to try and find out whose responses they didn't get. I just wouldn't want to risk it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • spartybride3spartybride3 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I saw this on a website for a friend of a friend. It seemed like it is easy, but I can also see how it is a pain. 

This may sound stupid, but do all your guests have access to the internet or know how to use this feature on a website? I just think of my grandparents & how they have no idea what the internet is, yet alone RSVP-ing to my wedding on it. I know other family members could do it, but...

Would this website work in other countries? Again a stupid question, but it might not work. How would you keep track of the RSVP's? Does the website do that for you & how?

I just feel like we had to track down a bunch of people for their paper RSVP's & I can see an internet one being more difficult. We had a tracker on how many people looked at our website & I doubt every guest did. In order to explain the website RSVP, you would still have to put in another card or explanation of some sort & you might as well just have them send in a regular card anyway. 

But, that is just my personal opinion. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the feedback!

Since our ceremony and receptions are at different locations, we need the invite as well as the reception card.  Our budget allows for the invite and one insert. 

Follow up question:
    -My parents are hosting, so I think the RSVPs are traditionally directed towards my parents?  My parents, however, are extremely disorganized, and I am not. I would prefer the RSVPs go to my email/phone number.  Is this okay if my parents are listed as the event hosts?  Or is this confusing?

346 Invited imageimage 206 Are ready to party!! image 115 Are missing out image 28 Are making me wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @spartybride We are also planning on listing a phone number.  FI's family likes to think of themselves as very 'modern' :) so I have cleared with FMIL that this would fly with their very, very large family.  As for my parents' guest list, those who wouldn't be fine with the website would be fine with the phone number.

From what I can understand, I input the guest list into the website.  When someone goes to RSVP, they have to provide their names and the website matches it to the list I provided and keeps track.  I am, however, nervous re: the reliability of said function....

• I'm planning to have an email address and a phone number for RSVPs. I'd worry about the reliability of the website as well, and would prefer to create and maintain my own lists using a program of my choice (Excel). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • I think it's okay to have the RSVPs returned to you. I don't think there is a huge etiquette hang-up about that. I think most brides do it just however works best for them, and if you're keeping track of the guest list they ought to go to you. I've never looked at the address on the RSVP envelope anyway. Regarding the whole insert thing, I know it's proper etiquette to list the reception on another card if in seperate locations but if you had to choose between a recpetion card and RSVP card, I'd go with the RSVP. I've seen plenty of invites (even for formal weddings) that didn't have a reception insert. As a matter of fact I don't think I've ever seen one that DID have one. For your own peace of mind in the weeks before the wedding, I really think the RSVPs are a better investment. The only people who won't send them back most likely will be your overseas guests, as I imagine it would be much easier to pick up the phone or drop an email than to try to mail it. But even if it doesn't get sent back by half your guests, like I said, at least you'll have a designated place to put the phone number and email address.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • If I were you, I would have the invitation letterpressed, but the other pieces offset printed.  It should save you a couple hundred dollars.

I agree with others that you should not include postage for foreign rsvps.  US stamps won't work in their country anyways.
  • Thanks everyone!  I very much appreciate the feedback.

• edited August 2012
    I am doing a RSVP card no postage just reply by phone or email.
    Either way you go there is always going to be some people not respond. I'd rather save my money from postage that won't get returned and take a chance with this method of phone/email.
    In the end we will still have to call to RSVP.

In Response to Re:I like paper. But not spending money. Will this work?:[QUOTE]Hi everyone,FI and I came up with this as a plan, and I'd love feedback on whether you experienced lads and ladies out there can see any major pitfalls with this idea.Our ceremony and reception are in different locations.nbsp; We also have an international guest list.nbsp; Only half of our invitees are in the US.nbsp; I LOVE letterpress invitations.nbsp; Really simple, clean, elegant, formal ones but with texture.nbsp; Sigh.nbsp; This is what we are planning on doing:ordering invites and envelopesordering a reception cardNo RSVP or response cards.nbsp; We would like guests to RSVP via our website or phone.nbsp; Our website is on wedding window.nbsp; They do have a premium feature of named RSVPs.nbsp; Our hotel room block, directions, etc information are all on the website.nbsp; We do not plan on including any more inserts.A couple of questions:is it ok to not include a reponse card?nbsp; It would be a nightmare trying to get return postage for all the various countries....would it be better to put the RSVP information phone/website on the invite itself or on the reception card?anybody have experience using te RSVP function on wedding window? any major issues?Thanks everyone for your feedback! Posted by melisrodis[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards