Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Desserts AND Cake??

Our reception venue includes dessert with everyone's dinner. This will probably be something like a key lime pie (not entirely sure yet) but my question is: what will we do for a cake?
We have already done our food tastings, and there is a good amount of food being served for dinner. Add a plated dessert and I can only imagine everyone will have a hard time getting up, lol.
We are expecting around 100 guests. We have thought about getting a smaller tiered cake for us to cut, and having something small like a cookie or cake pop wrapped up for guests to have later in the night if they get hungry again (doubtful) or double as a favor for the guests.
Suggestions? Ideas?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!

Re: Desserts AND Cake??

• Do you want to have a cake?  If so, then go for it.  I think that if you want a cake for cutting, you should offer some kind of cake to your guests--some people really like cake at weddings, so it would be a bummer if they saw you cutting it and eating it, and weren't offered it, KWIM?  You could have a small cake for cutting and then mini cupcakes (or regular cupcakes) for your guests to have along with the venue's dessert. You could also have boxes available so people could take home their cupcake if they didn't want it at the reception.
  • Very good points. We thought about cupcakes as well. I just can't imagine people wanting cake after already having dessert, haha. Maybe the mini cupcakes are the way to go. Thank you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• you never know though - some people may skip the pie or whatever plated dessert if they prefer cake. Also, if you do mini cupcakes in various flavors it often means people will want to try them all, or more than one.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You could do boxed cupcakes or petit fours as your favor, that way they're all ready to be taken home if guests are full.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_desserts-and-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:14c434e7-ad87-4721-bdcb-bdf5819feec5Post:2c1d09f2-5438-4f44-8716-845aa2ec9b59">Re: Desserts AND Cake??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Very good points. We thought about cupcakes as well.<strong> I just can't imagine people wanting cake after already having dessert, haha. </strong>Maybe the mini cupcakes are the way to go. Thank you!
    Posted by mallorydh[/QUOTE]
    Then you don't want to come to weddings around here where we have Viennese hours with entire rooms full of pastries. While not everyone eats the same amount as others, remember that your guests will be there for a while. So while they may not want to eat pie & then cake right after each other, they may want to have some cake later on in the night. <div>
    </div><div>We did a cupcake tower that was served right after dinner & before dancing. Then everyone got up to burn those calories. About 2h later we did an ice cream bar (we would've loved to do the Viennese hour, but it's so damn expensive). By that time, people could use another snack. </div>
  • I will say, I went to a wedding once where they had a chocolate fountain and TONS of fruit, cookies, marshmallows, etc to dip. I completely filled up on that, and by the time the cake was cut, I couldn't imagine eating anymore.  I think a lot of people felt that way.
    They had a LOT of leftover cake due to the chocolate fountain.

I love the idea of having boxes or having them already boxed up so people can take them home.
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_desserts-and-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:14c434e7-ad87-4721-bdcb-bdf5819feec5Post:5264c939-09b6-4765-9c19-9f3a8795a62e">Desserts AND Cake??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our reception venue includes dessert with everyone's dinner. This will probably be something like a key lime pie (not entirely sure yet) but my question is: what will we do for a cake? We have already done our food tastings, and there is a good amount of food being served for dinner. Add a plated dessert and I can only imagine everyone will have a hard time getting up, lol. We are expecting around 100 guests. We have thought about getting a smaller tiered cake for us to cut, and having something small like a cookie or cake pop wrapped up for guests to have later in the night if they get hungry again (doubtful) or double as a favor for the guests. Suggestions? Ideas?
    Posted by mallorydh[/QUOTE]

I'm not big on pie, so I'd probably pass on the dessert but would definitely want cake!
  • What would be better to have a wedding cake or to have cupcakes?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_desserts-and-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:14c434e7-ad87-4721-bdcb-bdf5819feec5Post:6a0b4dcd-3d71-4db7-a94a-294269f26d76">Re: Desserts AND Cake??</a>:
    [QUOTE]What would be better to have a wedding cake or to have cupcakes?
    Posted by pinkprincess1952[/QUOTE]

I'd like either.  I've seen a bride and groom have a small cake to cut then have cupcakes for the guests.  And the cupcakes were actually better than any wedding cake I've ever had!
  • Thank you for all the input! Definitely helpful :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I would ask for a mini dessert, such as chocolate mousse cups, that way they get a taste, but still want the cake...
  • decrated cup cakes
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards