Wedding Invitations & Paper

Program wording - deceased parent

Whats the best way to include my fiance's father in our wedding programs? I was going to list our parents under "Parents of the bride" and Parents of the groom" but I want to include his dad without it being poorly worded.

Re: Program wording - deceased parent

• Parents of the Bride
    Mr. & Mrs. John Smith

Parents of the Groom
    Mrs. Joseph (or her 1st name) Doe and the late Mr. Joseph Doe

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Parents of the Bride
    Mr. John Smith
    Mrs. Jane Smith

Parents of the Groom
    Mrs. Jane Doe
    The late Mr. John Doe
  • Ditto michelle.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_program-wording-deceased-parent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:f246f2f0-9f37-4c79-bb9a-63e4862d14afPost:fb97f52f-c0f1-49c7-9446-5ba04ce167c7">Re: Program wording - deceased parent</a>:
    [QUOTE]Parents of the Bride Mr. John Smith Mrs. Jane Smith Parents of the Groom Mrs. Jane Doe The late Mr. John Doe
    Posted by cukimerrydoll[/QUOTE]

This actually indicates that all parties are divorced.  If they're married (or were at the time of his death), their names should be on the same line (if possible) but definitely joined by "and".
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Ask your mother-in-law to be. I asked mine, and she requested "Mrs. Judy Short and the Late Mr. David Short"

Just make sure you put the living parent's name first, or it will look like both are deceased.

Its a touchy subject, but one you have to deal with.
  • I would put a separate note at the end of hte program (after the Thank You section) that says something to the effect of:

In memory of our loved ones who have joined our Lord in Heaven,
    you are missed dearly, today and every day.
    Especially;
    Walter Adrion, father of the bride
    Alice & Henry Cullins, grandparents of the groom

or you can say something like:

The flowers on the altar (or piano, etc) are in loving memory of John Smith, Jack Smith's father.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards