Could it be??

keg0811keg0811 member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited August 2013 in Not Engaged Yet

Re: Could it be??

• Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Of course it's possible he is preparing to propose if you have already discussed marriage and your plans for the future.  However, my advice is to just try to focus on the fact that you are celebrating 5 happy years with your BF.  Try not to think about the "What if" or "Will he".  If he proposes, great!  If not, at least you won't be so disappointed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • bajedivabajediva member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Despite the fact that I haven't had that experience yet, I get the sense there is no cookie-cutter way of knowing it's coming. Still, it seems like your indications are reasonable enough.

But forget I said that, and take Ana's advice. It's difficult not to be expectant of something you want to happen, but allow yourself to fully enjoy whatever experience your anniversay celebration will hold. Even if he does propose, I figure anticipating it the whole time will rob you of the wholistic experience.
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Ditto the PPs. I know its hard to not try and guess when he will do it. But if you are constantly trying to guess when it will happen you may be setting yourself up for disappointment.

• keg0811keg0811 member
    edited December 2011

You are totally right! I need to get into the right mindset. I think I have been so focused on the "what if " or "will he" because I hate surprises. However, our anniversary is a time to celebrate the last 5 wonderful years we have spent together and that's what I should be focusing on. Thanks!!

• bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Good attitude! It will be a great day for both of you proposal or not :D

• frenchy730frenchy730 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just relax and enjoy your anniversary together.  Don't get your hopes up, it would be sad to ruin such a great occasion by being disappointed.  Like someone else said, if it happens, fantastic.  If not, it seems like it will in the near future!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_could?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:ed367947-3036-4cce-9491-ecb76e4d5ef1Post:2d47386b-33f6-4f84-8369-69cdbf2677d3">Re: Could it be??</a>:
    [QUOTE]You are totally right! I need to get into the right mindset. I think I have been so focused on the "what if " or "will he" because I hate surprises. However, <strong>our anniversary is a time to celebrate the last 5 wonderful years we have spent together and that's what I should be focusing on. Thanks!!</strong>
    Posted by keg0811[/QUOTE]

This is a great point. It might be tough but try not to think about it. Every guy is different so we can't really say oh those are signs or they aren't. In the days leading to my proposal, he took me ring shopping and we talked about getting engaged and what sort of timeline we wanted. He told me that he wanted to wait until at least six months from now to get engaged. Little did I know he already had the ring being made and planned on proposing six days later, not six months. Try not to focus on will he, won't he and just enjoy the day. If you do it will set you up for some disappointment, my valentines day this year sucked sucked just because I had hoped he would. I talked myself out of thinking he would propose on our 6th anniversary and just enjoyed the night of us and our relationship how it was at that moment. When he did propose at the end of the evening, it was a very pleasant surprise. I'm not trying to make you think that "oh, he FI rpoposed on theirs maybe mine will too", he might have his own surprises in store and might just do it on a random day to throw you off.. Good Luck!
    imageimageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    If you are thinking that he might be proposing you are looking for these clues either consciously or unconsciously this is not to say they aren't actually pointing towards that, they could be... just try not to worry about it.  He could be just planning a great anniversary celebration and not a proposal so try not to expect anything so that you don't miss out on any of the excitement.  Enjoy your boyfriend and celebrating the 5 great years you've spent together. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto all the PP's - take your mind off of an impending proposal and focus on enjoying and celebrating your anniversary. It's normal to be excited to be talking about taking that next step in your relationship but if you let it completely occupy your mind you'll miss out on the other little things that you and your BF do that makes your relationship special to the two of you. This is a time that you will never get back so sit back and enjoy it!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We are also approaching our 5 yr anniversary (7.11.10) I also think that this will be the big day, but I dont worry about it b/c either way I know its coming soon. We have been talking about our wedding A LOT. We have even discussed location and have picked out a date. Everything is moving very quickly.Earlier this week we went to see the reception venue we had in mind and we are going back in 2 weeks to sign the contract. I feel like we are starting our wedding planning without a ring. I feel a bit weird, but Im excited b/c I know its not a matter of will he propose but of when he will propose. Please let us know what happens next week. :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Think how different it would be if you would have never met the one who changed everything...
    Photobucket
  • keg0811keg0811 member
    edited December 2011

Congrats to you and your future fiance on your 5th anniversary!!

I am excited that everything seems to be falling into place for you! It sounds like he could propose any day now : ) I am also amazed at how laid-back you are about the whole thing! I totally need to get into that frame of mind. I hate surprises so I will be anxious until the big day actually occurs.

I also wanted to tell you that you shouldn't feel weird about planning your wedding without the ring! Every couple goes about planning their wedding differently and like you said, "I know its not a matter of will he propose but when he will propose."

Coincidently, my bf and I discussed potential wedding dates today but since the date is nearly 2 years away I don't think we will be visiting reception venues just yet. However, I can't say that if he proposes tomorrow we wont be spending the rest of the summer looking : ) 

Well anyway... I will definitely let you all know what happens! Whether he proposes or not I am just excited to celebrate our anniversary because I know it's going to happen eventually : )

• keg0811keg0811 member
    edited December 2011
    I was talking about the person who posted before me who if you read is setting the date with the venue in 2 weeks but thanks for your thoughts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards