Michigan-Detroit

Would I be spending too much...

is $3.50 per person too much to spend on a wedding cake. the cake will serve 150ppl and a sheet cake will be made to cut costs. the total will be $645

Re: Would I be spending too much...

• edited December 2011
    Vendors that I'm looking at are pricing their cakes at $2.75-3.50 so it sounds like you are at the higher end of the norm.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jodyk23jodyk23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on what you are getting for $3.50. If it is fondant, no, that's not too much. If it is filled, that is still an okay price. But if it is a simple cake, that is a little pricey.
  • edited December 2011
    Ours is 4.35.

Go with what you LOVE! It's a once in a lifetime thing...
  • edited December 2011
    Ours is 2.75 per person. I agree with PP, it depends on what you're getting for that. Also is it what you want? If it is then nuts to anything else! It's not an unreasonable price. There is a lady here in Ann Arbor (Cake Nouveau) who starts her prices at 7 bucks a slice!
  • sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

So you are getting a "wedding cake" to feed 150 and then a sheet cake also? How many guests are you having all together?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you already know you are getting the sheet cake, cut the count on the wedding cake. Not sure what you are getting for the price, or how many layers or decorations you are getting. It's hard to say what you should go with, because these are unknowns.

Once you do that, get the sheet cake from Costco (or Sam's, I happen to have a Costco membership). Costco's sheet cakes are lovely, they come all in white, have cream fillings, and are $15.99 each. You can pick from multiple cake and filling flavors, and the frosting is to die for (in my opinion, it's my favorite). If you are unsure, get a sheet cake for some event before the wedding.

Good luck.
  • edited December 2011
    I believe good cake is worth every penny.I am a cake-o-holic.For my sons birthday I usually spend about $100 on a cake for like 40 people.lol
    Weirdly enough I don't care that much about the wedding cake.I was thinking holiday market and I think they are $1.50 a slice and their cakes a very very yummy.
    Just go with what you love.Because I understand.
  • sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Doing the math...if the "wedding cake" is $3.50/slice and that will feed 150, then your sheet cake is costing you $120? That seems like an awful lot for a sheet cake. Based on what I've heard good sheet cakes (like from Costco, etc) cost, it seems like a lot to me...the sheet cake part, not so much the $3.50 a slice.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    3.50 per slice is about average, maybe on the high side. But why is it $645 total? That's almost $100 over the cost of 3.50 for 150 ppl including tax. Delivery charge?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011

Oh my. I would say that is a bit pricey. I also AGREE with Sue. Please just get a sheet cake from costco. They have the BEST and most AFFORDABLE sheet cakes out there.

• edited December 2011
    That seems really high to me.  My cake was $1.50/slice.  And others I looked at were around $2.35/slice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mink492mink492 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine was $1.75/person & it was beautiful & delicious, but, I only got about 2 bites of it. That being said, I'm very happy I didn't spend a ton on it. I LOVE cake, but it wasn't something I wanted to spend a huge chunk of money on.
  • becandjim10becandjim10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that sounds a little high. I have 2 cakes, 1 being a smaller groomsman cake but together are meant to feed 175 people and Im spending $500 but thats a little extra because I have a lot of artistic detail since 1 is in the shape of a tree stump
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_would-spending-much?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:802ff787-6340-4071-b09e-c276b52ad9c8Post:8622f9b7-2c30-4b48-ab52-fafcf043ed6b">Re: Would I be spending too much...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Go with what you LOVE! It's a once in a lifetime thing...
    Posted by sinnedambition[/QUOTE]

<div>I splurged on the cake, I don't remember off-hand (I blocked out everything price related), but I want to say it was close to $4 per slice and I still hear compliments on how gorgeous it was and how good it was.  Mmm, cake sounds good right now.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards