Hawaii

olowalu plantation house

do any of you ladies have photos of your wedding at Olowalu Plantation House?

I saw some pics on their website. I was just curious if anyone was married on the beach there, not on the grass?  Or has anyone had your ceremony elsewhere, but reception there?
Any suggestions for caterers for that location?

TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: olowalu plantation house

• edited December 2011
    There's not enough beach there really to get married on (it's a small strip), and it's pebbly instead of sandy. I know there have been weddings out on the concrete pier there, but my caterers told me horror stories about crashing waves on the guests, and people being unable to hear the service.

I used Celebrations Catering, and they were amazing, but they have since gotten rid of the woman who was my coordinator. I've heard less than flattering things about their communication skills since then. Undecided Too bad, because their food and service was impeccable.

There's also Cafe O'Lei, Aloha Events Catering, Soup to Nuts (although their website is down or under construction), Merriman's also does catering.
  • edited December 2011
    Im getting married there, from the pics Ive seen I dont think there is that much of a beach there, but I could be wrong. It looks kind of rocky there though.

Were going to have the ceremony there but have reception at the Feast at Lele because the cost of a reception there was getting out of hand! :)
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also getting married there, and we are getting married on the lawn as the beach is too small.  We are using Food for the Soul catering, they have been AMAZING to work with so far.  When are you getting married?
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I can't recommend Olowalu enough.  It's such a perfect setting, I didn't care that we weren't technically on the beach.  You still have the water as your background, plus you don't have to deal with your slippers/flip flops kicking up sand.  ;)  Use used Cafe O'Lei and were were completely happy with their product and thrilled with their service.

Here are some photos from my photog:

And FB:

Video:

image imageimage Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • scottie_mommyscottie_mommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies!
    Our date is June 8th, 2011.
    We really have our hearts set on getting married barefoot and in the sand.  I started to work with Jana at hawaiian style weddings.  She suggested DT Fleming for the ceremony.  I live in Texas and have never been there.  She says it's a pretty private beach.  We are inviting 65 guests, I think 50 will be there.  So we want to get married on the beach and have a small reception after.  I was thinking of having a simple sit-down dinner at Merriman's or The Plantation House.
    Our guest list falls right at the cusp for several places, as far as site fees and room rentals go.  Since it's so early, and this is a destination wedding (none of our guests live in HI) it's hard to tell the guest count, but places are booking already.

I love the Olowalu Plantation House photos I have seen.  Does anyone know how far it is from DT Fleming? Or if DT Fleming is even a nice beach?
    Has anyone had a reception at Olowalu, but ceremony elsewhere?

Sorry for the question overload, it's just hard to plan a Hawaii wedding from texas, I have no idea what these venues look like in person, so I am relying on y'all's input, which I greatly appreciate btw.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Liz, your pics are gorgeous!!! 

• edited December 2011
    I went to DT Fleming the last time I was in Maui and it was very windy there - but I guess that could have just been the day, however Im sure they recommend it for boogie boarding pros as the waves can be quite big so maybe the wind does kick up regularly there. We had to leave after about 15 minutes because we got covered in sand by the winds!

according to google maps its 16 miles away from Olowalu.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks fashionqueen.

Im so nervous about things like that.

We are planning to stay on the West Side of the island.
    Does anyone know of any beaches on that side that are reatively private?  We are inviting 65 guests, so we need some good space.

• edited December 2011
    Personally i love the south of maui so we always stay there, so Im not so good at knowing about stuff on the west, but I would ask on the maui board on tripadvisor, people on there are really clued up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards