Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Las Vegas Wedding Reception?

So we have decided to save money and have a Vegas wedding. All of our close friends and family are invited and we expect around 30-40 people to attend.
We are going to have a reception at home when we get back from our Honeymoon.
I am stumped on the etiquette for after the ceremony. The ceremony is at 4, so we figured we would pick a spot for dinner, but are we expected to pay for everyone? We cant really afford to pay for everyone, so we thought that maybe we would just pay for the wedding party and parents....is this tacky? Do you think people would expect that we foot the bill for dinner because they came to Vegas for the ceremony or would it not be expected because we are having the reception back home??
All advise on this would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks:)

Re: Las Vegas Wedding Reception?

• Options
    You should at least maybe have a gathering with cake & punch (maybe in a hotel suite) as a thank you for coming to our wedding. Then, plan dinner later, but don't make it an "official" reception type of dinner.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Options
    You should post this on the Vegas board.  I'm a Vegas bride as well.  And there are lots of helpful tips on there from knotties. 

Lot's of Vegas brides just have cake and punch.  Or nothing at all.  Some tell people where they are going to be and people can join (and pay for themselves) if they want. 

It also depends on how formal or informal the wedding is.  And how formal or informal you are as a couple. 

Welcome baskets are a nice way of thanking people for coming to the wedding also. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    You need to provide some sort of hospitality at your expense for the people who witnessed the bit that makes you legally married.  The AHR is all well and good, but it does not absolve you of your responsibilities to your actual wedding guests.

My dad suggested that we just go to a restaurant after our Vegas ceremony and let the guests pay for themselves.  I calmly and politely inquired when he had lost his mind.  Your guests are spending quite a bit of money on airfare, hotel, and possibly time off work to be there with you, the VERY LEAST you owe them is one meal.

There are plenty of options in Vegas.  Figure out how much you can afford total for the meal, split that between all of your guests, and then find a place that can accommodate your per-head cost.  We hosted lunch the day of the wedding out of our suite catered by Fazoli's for about $4/person, and the day after the wedding we hosted brunch at the buffet at the Orleans for $8/person.  The Vegas local board has lots of good info on your options for food.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_las-vegas-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:bb015a3b-0217-4ed8-aa43-c6d140207e28Post:303082b8-a476-47c7-add6-20e8d792a5ab">Las Vegas Wedding Reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So we have decided to save money and have a Vegas wedding. All of our close friends and family are invited and we expect around 30-40 people to attend. We are going to have a reception at home when we get back from our Honeymoon. I am stumped on the etiquette for after the ceremony. The ceremony is at 4, so we figured we would pick a spot for dinner, but are we expected to pay for everyone? We cant really afford to pay for everyone, so we thought that maybe we would just pay for the wedding party and parents....is this tacky? Do you think people would expect that we foot the bill for dinner because they came to Vegas for the ceremony or would it not be expected because we are having the reception back home?? All advise on this would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks:)
    Posted by wileykj777[/QUOTE]

If you can't afford to pay for one meal for people who have flown across the country to see you get married, you can't afford a Vegas wedding. If you're truly trying to save money, do a $50 courthouse wedding and have your planned reception at home.
  • Options
    you either host a meal (or party) for those guests that you invited to the wedding or you invite ONLY those who you can pay for dinner/party for. very simple.

• Options
    We were married in Vegas with just close family in attendance (12 total). We are also doing a full reception back home (this weekend). We had dinner at Trevi after our ceremony. We paid for appetizers for the table and everyone else paid for their own meals. No one minded at all. Do what you can afford to do.
  • Options
    We are also doing our ceremony in Vegas. However instead of formal invites, we are sending out announcement style invites saying that we are eloping, but that anyone that would like to attend and witness our "I do's" are more than welcome to come! Of course the majority of our family members are coming, but understand that nothing more is expected.
  • Options
    I'm also getting married in Vegas. IMO you should pay for dinner at the least. Vegas hotels are not cheap, they are traveling to you, bringing a gift whatever it may be.. I just feel that the thing to do is host dinner and def not just pay for your wedding party. Maybe you can do something in your suite? There are so many options for food in Vegas you could easily do that and stay in budget. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards