Wedding Etiquette Forum

Two different invitations?

I was printing out my invitations, and my mom flipped out when she saw them. Since we are paying for the wedding, hosting it, and the only thing my mom wants to do is complain about everything, we didn't put her name on the invites. We didn't put any parents name on them. 
  She also hated how causal, and nerdie we made them. She thinks the older guests won't understand all the game comments, and we need more formal ones. 
  Would it be tacky to do two types, on the same paper, just more formal wording, for the older nongameing guests, and send the gaming ones out to our friends?

They would be going out at the same time, so no A and B list, just diffrent wording.

Re: Two different invitations?

• If you're paying for it, you get ultimate say.  Personally, I wouldn't change anything.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Your wedding, your style, yor way. No need to do anything extra.
  • Do it if you want to.  If she isn't paying, then she doesn't get say.  As long as your invitations say where and when, I don't think it's a problem.
  • edited May 2012
    What kind of language is used that it makes her think that older guests won't understand? I can understand it if it's in Klingon or something, but if it's obvious where and when it is, and how to RSVP you should be fine. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_two-different-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:83610486-e499-4105-bc3f-b99380bb3369Post:cdc2c67d-6c02-444a-b838-6f493815a5b3">Re: Two different invitations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What kind of language is used that it makes her think that older guests won't understand? I can understand it if it's in Klingon or something, but if it's obvious where and when it is, and how to RSVP you should be fine. 
    Posted by Megbo2012[/QUOTE]

ditto this.  I'd say don't change anything but I'm wondering just how out there your gaming comments are that she thinks they won't understand
  • I kind of want to see the wording for these invites - I like nerdiness. 

Anyways - your mother is probably correct in that the older generation will not understand the game related references. But like Megbo said, there shouldn't be a problem understanding the actual information (date, time, location, etc).
  • I'm curious the see how the invitations read as well.  Remember when you write out the invitations they are a representation of how formal or informal the wedding will be.  If the original invitations do this then go with those.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • They've earned enough EXP.

The princess isn't in another castle.

Not long from now, in a venue relatively close by,

S and W will be getting married IRL!!1!

Sunday, August 5, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Some Random hotel

Some Address

Some Random Address

Dinner, Cupcakes, Dancing, and other Festivities to follow!

For once the cake will not be a lie!

Took out the names, and address, cause there are weirdoes on the nets.

• That sounds really cute.  People will probably read it as a fairy tale, if they aren't gamers, and won't get what IRL is.  I think you are fine.  More than fine, actually, pretty cool. 
  • I'd be lost if I was old and not married to a gamer, but as long as you have that it is a wedding, the people involved, and the pertinent information in a font that is easy to read (no binary old Radio Shack looking stuff), then it should be ok. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  •   And even in the formal ones, I was not going to list parents. Our wedding is very causal, and full of nerd accents. I did not think anything was wrong with the invitations we did, but I am use to making gaming comments and people knowing what I mean. 
  • haha I think it's cute.  I think putting your own personal touch on it is great.  All the info needed is on their and you never know your grand parents could get a kick out of it
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_two-different-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:83610486-e499-4105-bc3f-b99380bb3369Post:347cc9bd-f965-4fa6-9d67-af7a782fd253">Re: Two different invitations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]  And even in the formal ones, I was not going to list parents. Our wedding is very causal, and full of nerd accents. I did not think anything was wrong with the invitations we did, but I am use to making gaming comments and people knowing what I mean. 
    Posted by malakelle[/QUOTE]

<div>Is she hosting? No. So her name doesn't need to be anywhere on the invitation. Your mom is being ridiculous. Stick with what you have!</div>
  • rsannarsanna member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    I think your wording is adorable and awesome.  I don't think anyone will have any issue getting the necessary information from it and that is the important part.  FWIW, the RSVP cards I am planning have Beatles song references for either accept or decline.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think people will get the gist of when and where the event is. Make sure the RSVP instructions are clear or include a phone number and if someone's confused they can just call.
    I"m not a gamer AT ALL and even I get some of the references.
    If I were to change anything, it would be to take out the "1" in the !!!, because, well, it IS a typo. But if the majority of your guests will get it, then leave it, and be prepared for someone who doesn't get it to point out your "typo."
    Overall, I think they are creative!
  • Obviously you have said "S and L are getting married".  They might be confused by what IRL means, but clearly there is a wedding being announced.

The only other thing I can think of is that it doesn't explicitly say "and you're invited!".  The invitation is implied.
  • Ours were very non-traditional as well.  So far nobody has complained about them.    I wouldn't change them.

August 2012 - Married! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • July2012brideJuly2012bride member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I think those sound cute!  I'm not a gamer and wouldn't do it for my own wedding, but I know a few couples that this would fit perfectly.

As long as your invitation follows the formality of your event, I think you're fine! ( I believe you mentioned it would be casual anyway)

ETA: spelling
  • I think they're cute, and I would leave it.  It's nice to incorporate your personalities into the invite.  If your parents aren't hosting, they really don't need to be mentioned on the invite.
  • Kinda jealous of your invites! They are super cute and I wouldn't change a thing :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_two-different-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:83610486-e499-4105-bc3f-b99380bb3369Post:46c022b2-f9bb-40d2-b1d3-a5f8508cc031">Re: Two different invitations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]They've earned enough EXP. The princess isn't in another castle. Not long from now, in a venue relatively close by, S and W will be getting married IRL!!1! Sunday, August 5, 2012 at 4:30 pm Some Random hotel Some Address Some Random Address Dinner, Cupcakes, Dancing, and other Festivities to follow! For once the cake will not be a lie! Took out the names, and address, cause there are weirdoes on the nets.
    Posted by malakelle[/QUOTE]

LOVE THEM!  Tell Mom that casual and nerdiness are "in" now - she will get over it. 

I love your creativity.
    Anniversary
  • edited June 2012
    I'm basically just going to echo what other people have been saying.  I think your invites are awesome!  They're unique and show your personalities.  Also, since you are hosting and paying, your mom doesn't get the final say in things.  If you'd like to make different ones for older people, go ahead, but I think so long as all the necessary information is included, they'll get the picture, even if they don't understand the references.

I'd also like to add that the last line of your invites was a nice touch :) Portal reference ftw! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards