Wedding Etiquette Forum

Quick question: Bridal shower invitation wording

Hi there! My sister just sent me a mock-up of wording for the invitation for the bridal shower she's hosting for me, and we're wondering whether a bridal shower invitation should indicate that lunch will be provided, i.e. should we call it a "Bridal Shower" or "Bridal Shower and Luncheon". The shower is at 1pm, which in my head would signify lunch, but I'm just wondering whether we should spell it out.

If this is a ridiculously nit-picky question, feel free to pelt me with rotten fruit.

ETA: Did anybody have any problems with people in the groom's family not recognizing your name in a shower invite?
imageimage
Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?

Re: Quick question: Bridal shower invitation wording

• What about a combo of the two  Bridal Luncheon?
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• And FWIW, if I saw the time, I would also assume that lunch would be provided.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_quick-question-bridal-shower-invitation-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0b9e1276-87c3-4d22-a43d-aa6b7c78f40fPost:1652fa87-389d-4332-9f01-4010765c093e">Re: Quick question: Bridal shower invitation wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about a combo of the two  Bridal Luncheon?
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

I thought about that, but I wonder if it would create confusion over whether this is a shower or not.
    imageimage
  • Yeah, I am with Mrs.B.

I can't remember how mine was worded but it was also at 1pm. Lunch was provided.
  • Every shower I've ever been too, whether at a home or at a restaurant, included lunch.  I think it's assumed.
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • I think you can leave off "luncheon" assuming the shower is at a time that is around lunchtime.
  • Well, that was easy! Thanks, etiquette mavens.
    imageimage
  • I think I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that lunch would be provided at a 1 PM shower.  That feels a little after what I consider to be lunchtime (11 AM - 1 PM).  I think I would include a "Lunch will be provided!" to ensure there's no confusion, or at least spread it by word of mouth.  Otherwise, as a guest, I'd probably plan to eat first.

• every shower I've hosted or been to has been early afternoonish around 2 or 3 and there was enough food provided that if people didnt eat they would be satisfied. Shower=food.
  • I am with Celles- its not really peak lunch time. I think it should say Bridal Shower and maybe at the bottom or somewhere in the mix have "Lunch will be provided"
  • I have r'cd a few invites that had that (lunch will be provided) at the bottom.  Clarity is never a bad thing I suppose.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_quick-question-bridal-shower-invitation-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0b9e1276-87c3-4d22-a43d-aa6b7c78f40fPost:a8731604-d092-464c-b6be-99f5fa3423d3">Re: Quick question: Bridal shower invitation wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that lunch would be provided at a 1 PM shower.  That feels a little after what I consider to be lunchtime (11 AM - 1 PM).  I think I would include a "Lunch will be provided!" to ensure there's no confusion, or at least spread it by word of mouth.  Otherwise, as a guest, I'd probably plan to eat first.
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]

This.
  • Now I'm wondering if we should move the time up to 12 or 12:30. We could - it's at an environmental site in our hometown that isn't in high demand, so we have pretty much all day.
    imageimage
  • I'd go with Bridal Shower and Luncheon myself if it's both. Bridal Luncheon to me indicates no gifts; Bridal Shower indicates gifts and food, but not necessarily a full meal's worth (but could be).

Or, on the bottom of the invitation, indicate, "a light lunch will be provided."
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • CellesCelles member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I think 1 PM is fine if people know that lunch will be served. I'm assuming it's on a Saturday? 1 PM means the guests can sleep in, have a leisurely morning with a late breakfast or early brunch, and then attend a lunch-time shower.

I didn't mean 1 PM was too late for lunch; just that it was late enough that it could go either way, if that makes sense.
  • I don't know, lunch will be provided speaks to me more as a business invitation than social, but maybe that's just because I don't get invited to social events all that often.

I'd assume lunch at 1pm, but family meals always were at 1 growing up, so I equate that with a mealtime.

i don't see any harm in saying bridal shower and luncheon.  Definitely not just luncheon, though, because that says "no gifts" to me--or would at least confuse me enough to make me need to ask someone.
  • So we're back to "Bridal Shower and Luncheon"!  Thanks again, guys. :)

I kind of think 1pm isn't so bad for lunch on a Saturday. A lot of our guests are going to have a bit of a drive, and my sister and I are making all the food, so that gives us an extra hour to throw everything together and drive it over to the site. Works for everybody.
    imageimage
  • Sarah, I said that because J's aunt INSISTED on being a part of the wedding and was pissed we had it in Vegas. So she wanted to do a shower with J's sister. I declined, since I don't know any women here in town that were invited to the wedding. I gave her 3 names - my mom, my aunt, my SIL. All out of town/state. I knew none of them could attend. I tried to decline again. She said aunt REEEAALLLY wanted to do this. It made me ill. They really thought my mom was going to fly up from TX for it; she was between a week with her mom and a business trip with my dad - 2 days at home.

She changed the invite to read bridal luncheon, so her friends (that's who she invited) wouldn't feel obligated to bring a gift. They all brought small gifts, though, and it was the MOST awkward day ever.

That's why I said not just luncheon. But, now you also know how to make a watch as well as what time it is.

Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_quick-question-bridal-shower-invitation-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0b9e1276-87c3-4d22-a43d-aa6b7c78f40fPost:0d74b3ea-2801-41cb-9df7-10e3ad4f7d31">Re: Quick question: Bridal shower invitation wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sarah, I said that because J's aunt INSISTED on being a part of the wedding and was pissed we had it in Vegas. So she wanted to do a shower with J's sister. I declined, since I don't know any women here in town that were invited to the wedding. I gave her 3 names - my mom, my aunt, my SIL. All out of town/state. I knew none of them could attend. I tried to decline again. She said aunt REEEAALLLY wanted to do this. It made me ill. They really thought my mom was going to fly up from TX for it; she was between a week with her mom and a business trip with my dad - 2 days at home. She changed the invite to read bridal luncheon, so her friends (that's who she invited) wouldn't feel obligated to bring a gift. They all brought small gifts, though, and it was the MOST awkward day ever. That's why I said not just luncheon. But, now you also know how to make a watch as well as what time it is.
    Posted by missy68[/QUOTE]

Haha no worries! :) That is kinda similar to what I thought might happen if I just said "Bridal Luncheon" anyway, so it's all good.

My sister now hopes that Knottie opinion does not swing back the other way after she sends the invitations. :)
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards