Wedding Reception Forum

HELP! Unique Ceremony and Reception Ideas

I have been trying to plan our wedding but am running into roadblocks with the groom. We aren't a cookie cutter type of couple and my groom would like to do something outside the box. We live in Northern Minnesota (Iron Range) and there aren't a whole bunch of options for that. I was thinking Lake Superior on the North shore, but I need to give him more options. Any suggestions on Ceremony and Reception (approx. 300 guests)

Re: HELP! Unique Ceremony and Reception Ideas

• Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Try posting on your local board for venue suggestions

As for everything else -- if you do something that fits YOUR personalities, then it will be special, personal, and a little unique.  Realise that very few things you can do for your wedding will be completely unique (meaning, then have never ever been done before), but you can do old things in new ways, or add a personal twist to make it fit your style.

For example, my husband is a huge Miami Dolphins fan.  Intead of a guest book, I surprised him with e Dolphins jersey with his/our last name on it and "12" (the year we were married), and all our guests signed it.   I read about the idea here, so it had definitely been done a lot before....but it was special to US because it was HIS favorite team, OUR name, and had all our guests signatures.   
    DSC_9275
  • We live in Duluth, not too far from you. Definitely try the Minneapolis Board...it gets a lot more action than the Minnesota one. There are tons of options in this area, but I'd be able to help give you more suggestions if you give me an idea of what you're looking for (indoor/outdoor, casual/formal, etc.). Just to give you an idea, we are getting married at the Sacred Heart Music Center with the reception at Clyde Iron. Both are unique venues and not cookie cutter. Also the aquarium and zoo host weddings too. If you need more ideas post on the Minneapolis Board or you can send me a private message.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_help-unique-ceremony-and-reception-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ea073fc4-79a7-428f-8bdc-e34e146f5014Post:f844a8af-a33f-4c65-a967-a4775f74c76e">Re: HELP! Unique Ceremony and Reception Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Try posting on your local board for venue suggestions As for everything else -- if you do something that fits YOUR personalities, then it will be special, personal, and a little unique.  <strong>Realise that very few things you can do for your wedding will be completely unique (meaning, then have never ever been done before), but you can do old things in new ways, or add a personal twist to make it fit your style.</strong> For example, my husband is a huge Miami Dolphins fan.  Intead of a guest book, I surprised him with e Dolphins jersey with his/our last name on it and "12" (the year we were married), and all our guests signed it.   I read about the idea here, so it had definitely been done a lot before....but it was special to US because it was HIS favorite team, OUR name, and had all our guests signatures.   
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I'll go you one further than very few and say nothing you do will ever be as one-of-a-kind as you think it is, especially with weddings. You can name almost anything under the sun, and if I haven't seen a question about how to do it, I could search TK/Pinterest/Weddingwire and find people who did it or have a pictures of it. There's really only so much you can do with it. Not to be a Debbie Downer, all weddings can and should be personalized. Just don't get so caught up in being yoonik that you lose sight of the day, or forget the fact that weddings generally have the same moving parts. </div>
  • Thanks for the responses! I wasn't looking for a one-of-a-kind idea, because you are right in that someone, somewhere has definitely done it before! :) I was just looking for some unique ways people have personalized it. These responses have started my wheels turning. I'll check out the Minneapolis boards too for some ideas.

Thanks Everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards