California-San Diego

Cake Recommendation

Hi everyone.  I am out of state, trying to plan my wedding in San Diego.  We are having a small, simple wedding with about 50 people.  I am looking for a reasonably priced place to order my cake from.  Any recommendations will be extremely helpful!  Thanks in advance!

Re: Cake Recommendation

• edited December 2011
    So I went to a couple cake tastings before I decided.  I recommend edelweiss bakery, there're two, one in Rancho Bernardo one in Mira Mesa.  Their cake is really good, moist, all kinds of fillings and icings, anything from simple to elaborate and they were one of the most reasonably priced, and they were really friendly.

Another thing to consider is cupcakes (that's actually what we decided on due to cake cutting fees only), otherwise this is the bakery I would have gone with.  If you are interested in cupcakes, we decided on cupcakes squared, all natural, delicious.

hope this helps
  • edited December 2011
    We are using The French Gourmet, which seem to be pretty affordable and very tasty!  They are also easy to work with.  Will you be in town beforehand to do some cake tasting?
    ~Margaret (and Nick)~
    Post-Wedding Life Blog!
    A10 Siggy Challenge: Next Vacation Destination: San Francisco!
  • edited December 2011
    We used VG Bakery.  They're very inexpensive and their cake is yummy!
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Shirley the Cake Lady.  She is amazing, very down to earth and personable.  My fiance cannot stop talking about her cake, we are having amaretto poppyseed.  She is very affordable, I was very surprised @ how affordable. 
  • edited December 2011
    We used Shirley the Cake Lady too. Her cakes are delicious! We got cake from her for my bridal shower, rehearsal dinner, and wedding! Her prices were pretty comparable to Edelweiss also. She is so sweet and easy to talk to, it wouldn't hurt to give her a call!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!  You were all very helpful!  It has been difficult planning a wedding from so far away.  And it makes it even more difficult picking a cake and not being able to taste it beforehand!
  • edited December 2011
    I heard about Shirley as well and I'm going to make an appt to see if I can go taste her cakes. I've heard they are great!
  • edited December 2011
    I want to thank the OP for posting this because I'm in the Washington, D.C area planning a San Diego wedding,  I can totally sympathize with her.  I will definitely  be checking out Shirley AND Edelweiss.  Thanks ladies. 
    He that findeth a wife, findeth a GOOD THING!! small2 small Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    VG's is the best cake ever. I have had it at several weddings and am having them do our wedding cake as well. They are extremely reasonable in pricing. A 3 tiered cake that feeds 46-66 people is $240. The only draw back is that they don't work with fondant...But if you're more concerned with how the cake tastes than what it looks like, I would definitely go to VG's. And they give you a complimentary pastry while you wait :)  
  • edited December 2011

Flour Power was our cake vendor at our wedding in November and we loved our experience with them. The cake was moist, delicious, and looked great. They were the most professional out of the 5 bakeries we tasted with (Flour Power, Shirley the Cake Lady, Sumi's Oven, VG's, and Edelweiss) and we felt we were getting the best value for the quality of the cake from them. PM if you want a more thorough review of all the bakeries we tasted with.

• uwtigerlilyuwtigerlily member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ordered our cake at Eccentric International in Santee.  The cake tastings were wonderful, and they are very accommodating.  They were also the most reasonably priced of the places I visited.  I can't wait to see our wedding cake.
  • abuabu
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know this might sound bad, but I used Albertson's. I love there Birthday cakes so I could not go wrong. They don't cost that much, too. I put a little of flowers in the cake to decorate it more and it was beautiful
  • kerristarrkerristarr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also suggest VG Donuts and Bakery.  They are much more affordable I found.  They are very busy but they are very nice once you go in for an appointment for cake testing.  Their cakes are delicious and priced well!  They are in the cardiff area but deliver for a relatively small fee around $20-$50 depending on location.
    You have to try the oreo cake filling!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards