Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I need help to write a thank you note in SPANISH!!

So I speak a little spanish but I'm confused on some things. I want to write something for my friends mom that attended my wedding but I rarely speak to...  I want it to say something like this...
Dear Martha,
Thank you for your presence at our wedding. It was such a pleasure to se you there.
With love,
Mr. and Mrs. Castro

Re: I need help to write a thank you note in SPANISH!!

• Options
    Estimada Martha,
    Gracias por su presencia en nuestra boda. Fue un gran placer para sí misma allí.
    Con amor,
    El Sr. y la Sra. Castro

Use the Google Translator.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Does your mother speak Spanish?  I'd ask her to translate for you.
  • Options
    I'd go with:

Estimada Martha,

Gracias por su presencia a nuestra boda. Fue un gran placer verte alla.

Con amor,
    Sr. y Sra. Castro
  • Options
    Google translate.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-need-help-to-write-a-thank-you-note-in-spanish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8db5de13-8bea-48cc-9969-c5705217536cPost:ad3d8706-ba54-42c1-89ec-816b239189c1">Re: I need help to write a thank you note in SPANISH!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Estimada Martha , Gracias por su presencia en nuestra boda. Fue un gran placer para sí misma allí. Con amor, El Sr. y la Sra. Castro Use the Google Translator.
    Posted by kd.joseph[/QUOTE]

This translation is exactly why you should not rely on the google translator.
  • Options
    If this is someone you are familiar with (meaning, comfortable not uber formal) I would use "Querida" instead of "Estimada". The latter sounds a lot like a business letter.

I would use:

Estimada/Querida Martha,
    Gracias por haber asistido nuestra boda. Fue un gran placer haberla visto.

Con amor,
    Sr. y Sra. Castro

(I'm a native Spanish speaker, which is better than google translate lol)

photo 4d90b97c-0076-4b13-b3c1-7cddd4d8686b_zps47a19125.jpg
  • Options
    linnyv27linnyv27 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2012
    What banana said. Please don't use the Google translator as it's usually wrong. Its always best to ask someone instead.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 123 Invited
    image 96 Are ready to party
    image 27 Will be missing out
    image 0 Are undecided
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-need-help-to-write-a-thank-you-note-in-spanish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8db5de13-8bea-48cc-9969-c5705217536cPost:02b430c6-65be-4018-9c5e-ae2671136a8a">Re: I need help to write a thank you note in SPANISH!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]If this is someone you are familiar with (meaning, comfortable not uber formal) I would use "Querida" instead of "Estimada". The latter sounds a lot like a business letter. I would use: Estimada/Querida Martha, Gracias por haber asistido nuestra boda. Fue un gran placer haberla visto. Con amor, Sr. y Sra. Castro (I'm a native Spanish speaker, which is better than google translate lol)
    Posted by bananapants628[/QUOTE]

Google translate is terrible. I was trying to figure out what "si mismo alli" was until I realized it was google translate :)

I'm not a native speaker, but I've studied. May I ask if "por su presencia" is incorrect or just kind of awkward (making "haber asistado" just a better turn of phrase)?
  • Options
    vonclancy: honestly, I've never heard anyone say "thank you for your presence" in Spanish, so it sounds kind of awkward to me. Maybe in some countries, being that certain phrases/words mean diffrently depending on where you are from, it' s not as out of place.

photo 4d90b97c-0076-4b13-b3c1-7cddd4d8686b_zps47a19125.jpg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_i-need-help-to-write-a-thank-you-note-in-spanish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8db5de13-8bea-48cc-9969-c5705217536cPost:e568c8be-e4af-4dc9-a659-8505135b25d1">Re: I need help to write a thank you note in SPANISH!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]@ vonclancy : honestly, I've never heard anyone say "thank you for your presence" in Spanish, so it sounds kind of awkward to me. Maybe in some countries, being that certain phrases/words mean diffrently depending on where you are from, it' s not as out of place.
    Posted by bananapants628[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying :) That's the sort of stuff that always trips me up because I don't know colloquial terms.
  • Options
    Dear Martha,
    Thank you for your presence at our wedding. It was such a pleasure to se you there.
    With love,
    Mr. and Mrs. Castro

Quierida Martha,
    Muchas gracias por venir a nuestra boda. Fue un placer verla.
    Con amor,
    Señor y Señora Castro

I'm not a native speaker, but I've been living in Latin America for a few years. FI is Costa Rican, and he confirmed my translation. Google translate is a good guide for certain things, but I'd never depend on it solely or use it to translate an entire passage.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards