Not Engaged Yet

Well Flippity Flip - Cohabitation is illegal in FL

""Cohabitation" of unmarried people is currently a second-degree misdemeanor in the U.S. state [Florida], punishable by $500 of up to 60 days in jail. The same penalty applies for cheating husbands and wives - although only to opposite sex couples" - The Toronto Star (August 31). It went on to say these laws are rarely enforced, but still exist blah blah, and some woman did actually press charges against her husband for cheating.

Good thing I don't live in Florida! BF and I have been cohabitating for a year now, and I know a lot of other ladies on this board are in the same boat. I can't imagine the state telling me who I am and am not allowed to live with, especially in a free country such as the United States. That's completely ridiculous. Some people simply do not want to get married...ever.

So, what do you think? Discuss. (Both the cohabitation part, and the cheating part.)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.

Re: Well Flippity Flip - Cohabitation is illegal in FL

• Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Having sex with someone you're not married to is illegal in VA.

But cohabitation isn't (to my knowledge).

Somewhere has a maximum number of girls that can live in one place too (I think it's FL or PA...somewhere I looked at schools) so that it's not considered a brothel.  Special.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
    edited December 2011
    Yea, it's pretty special.  I imagine if like you were ridiculously loud during sex and your neighbors complained, the police MIGHT come.  But I mean, that'd be disturbing the peace...not "sex with not your husband"
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I find the fine for cheating humourous. Although, I do think jail time is a bit ridic and over the top.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_well-flippity-flip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:e7c3d77f-64b4-4c40-ac16-bf8ea01c08b1Post:86ea989b-ac33-430d-8421-8825a8cc43fd">Re: Well Flippity Flip - Cohabitation is illegal in FL</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well Flippity Flip - Cohabitation is illegal in FL : PA - that's why there's no sorority houses, but there are fraternity houses.  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

Yep, must have heard it at Bucknell then.  I really thought it was FL, but I'm like "um, my school HAD sorority houses!"  so I was confused.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_well-flippity-flip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:e7c3d77f-64b4-4c40-ac16-bf8ea01c08b1Post:86ea989b-ac33-430d-8421-8825a8cc43fd">Re: Well Flippity Flip - Cohabitation is illegal in FL</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well Flippity Flip - Cohabitation is illegal in FL : PA - that's why there's no sorority houses, but there are fraternity houses.  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

Interesting that that one is actually enforced. As Blue said, a lot of them aren't.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_well-flippity-flip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:e7c3d77f-64b4-4c40-ac16-bf8ea01c08b1Post:86ea989b-ac33-430d-8421-8825a8cc43fd">Re: Well Flippity Flip - Cohabitation is illegal in FL</a>:
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

It's the same in AZ.

Although the city I live in also has a law on the books that says it's illegal to drive backwards on Sundays....
    Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_well-flippity-flip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:e7c3d77f-64b4-4c40-ac16-bf8ea01c08b1Post:2ccc02f8-6645-47a3-bb2e-4a3bc53bedc2">Re: Well Flippity Flip - Cohabitation is illegal in FL</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well Flippity Flip - Cohabitation is illegal in FL : It's the same in AZ. <strong>Although the city I live in also has a law on the books that says it's illegal to drive backwards on Sundays....
    </strong>Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

But...but...how do you get out of your driveway?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • edited December 2011
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

<div>Same in MA.  See my comment in another thread about the government overstepping its boundaries.</div>
  • thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    lol, I would be screwed. We've been living together for almost two years (nearly the entire time we've been dating).

• edited December 2011
    It is also illegal in Orange, CA to have more than a certain number of girls in a house because it is then considered a brothel...I think the max is 5 or 6. I wouldn't be surprised if that were true for Fullerton as well...

I remember from 8th grade when we did an East Coast historical locations field trip that it is illegal to graze your livestock on Boston Commons...cus there's so much livestock in Boston these days....

I think some of my friends thought it should be illegal to co-habitate before marriage, or at least engagememt....They shouldn't have been upset thought cus A) he was already planning the proposal, and B) it's not their relationship.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 September Siggy Challenge
    Red Horse Barn, Huntington Beach, CA
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_well-flippity-flip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:e7c3d77f-64b4-4c40-ac16-bf8ea01c08b1Post:26c72823-4fd6-4614-a001-2c7b273632df">Re: Well Flippity Flip - Cohabitation is illegal in FL</a>:
    [QUOTE]It is also illegal in Orange, CA to have more than a certain number of girls in a house because it is then considered a brothel...I think the max is 5 or 6. I wouldn't be surprised if that were true for Fullerton as well... I remember from 8th grade when we did an East Coast historical locations field trip that it is illegal to graze your livestock on Boston Commons...cus there's so much livestock in Boston these days....<strong> I think some of my friends thought it should be illegal to co-habitate before marriage, or at least engagememt</strong>....They shouldn't have been upset thought cus A) he was already planning the proposal, and B) it's not their relationship.
    Posted by shipsinthenight[/QUOTE]

Do you know why they felt that way? Just curious.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • edited December 2011
    There is a law that you can't drive on Scottsdale road in Phoenix (Scottsdale Rd is a major road)... it was put in place back when it was dirt and people drive buggies.... still exists today. Does that make me a potential felon because I intend to drive it whenever I'm there?

Crazy huh??

Stupid laws.
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_well-flippity-flip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:e7c3d77f-64b4-4c40-ac16-bf8ea01c08b1Post:2ccc02f8-6645-47a3-bb2e-4a3bc53bedc2">Re: Well Flippity Flip - Cohabitation is illegal in FL</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well Flippity Flip - Cohabitation is illegal in FL : It's the same in AZ. Although the city I live in also has a law on the books that says it's illegal to drive backwards on Sundays....
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

<div>Crap, now I'm really in trouble... I hope I don't get busted in the next 7 months!</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Great.  We've been breaking the law for over 2 years now!

If they ask, I'll just say we're roommates. 

Ridiculousness.

I moved to FL from SC, and (up until several years ago) it was illegal to marry someone of an opposite race.  But it's legal to marry your 1st cousin.  It is also illegal to give or receive oral sex.

Also I *heard* that it was legal to beat your wife on the courthouse steps on a Sunday, so long as it was done with a stick no thicker than the width of your thumb.  I'm not sure about this one, though.
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • edited December 2011
    In NC it is illegal to have sex in any manner other than the missionary position, in your home, in your, bed, with the curtains drawn, to anyone other than your spouse. I kid you not. 

You can also sue for alienation of affection. Basically, you can sue the person your spouse cheated on you with if you can prove they knew about you. The closer the relationship between the individual cheated on and the person cheated with the larger the award usually is. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_well-flippity-flip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:e7c3d77f-64b4-4c40-ac16-bf8ea01c08b1Post:24e68ee8-ff37-471f-936a-3103564aab26">Re: Well Flippity Flip - Cohabitation is illegal in FL</a>:
    [QUOTE]Having sex with someone you're not married to is illegal in VA. But cohabitation isn't (to my knowledge). Somewhere has a maximum number of girls that can live in one place too (I think it's FL or PA...somewhere I looked at schools) so that it's not considered a brothel.  Special.
    Posted by Blue & White[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>It's illegal here too, which is why we don't have sorority houses here either. I think it's something like 3 or more unrelated females can't live in the same house at the same time, but if there's say 3 females who are related and a 4th non-related female, then I think it's okay though. It's kinda dumb, but these sorts of laws aren't enforced. I bet though if you were jailed or fined you could find a lawyer pretty quick to take your case. You just have to make a big public stink about it and a lot of lawyers would be happy to get the free advertising!!!</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • misikesmisikes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Adultry is technically illegal in AL, but as mentioned before it's rarely (if ever) enforced. I used to work for the sheriff's office and they had some old jail records on display from the early 1900s. Most of the names of the men in jail were there for adultry.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • shanaea87shanaea87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_well-flippity-flip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:e7c3d77f-64b4-4c40-ac16-bf8ea01c08b1Post:86ea989b-ac33-430d-8421-8825a8cc43fd">Re: Well Flippity Flip - Cohabitation is illegal in FL</a>:
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

I live in PA and the college I went to was in PA. We had sorority houses.
  • sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Clark County, NV there are also rules against sorority houses, because they can be classified as brothels. I don't think there are any other counties in Nevada that have the same rule, because brothels are legal in the majority of the remaining counties. I'm actually surprised by how many other places in America have restrictions on considering a sorority house a brothel. I had never heard of any other places until now.
  • edited December 2011
    I know there is a law in Illinois about preventing large numbers of boys or girls in the same house.  My college does not have frat houses of sorority houses because of it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards