Getting in Shape

my eating

Lastnight when I was with my trainer we were talking about how and what I should be eating.

She wants me to stop counting calories for 2 weeks - eat 5 or 6 times a day, healthy food, but not count. She also doesnt want me to track the calories I burn either. When I said that would be hard because ive been doing it for a year now, she asked if I felt that counting for a year had been working for me. I said yeah kinda - I have lost 35lbs. She then pointed out "but if you were counting and it was working for you, in a years time you should already be at your goal by now".

What do you think of that comment, or the approach im supposed to be taking with my diet?

Re: my eating

• raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I think that I would have a hard time not counting.  Mostly because I know what the calorie counts are for most of the things I eat, and it would be tough not to do it in my head.

That being said, there's something for learning to eat properly without having to count. 

I say it's worth a try.  You know what you should be eating, and when and how much, and really, if you mess up a bit, how much damage can you do in 2 weeks?
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I eat a lot of the same things over and over. I generally know what is in most of my usuals. What she wants me to get away from is eating this or that because of how it fits in my calories, as opposed to eating this or that because its good for me and im hungry. I do see the value in that I suppose
  • I guess you could give it a try...? Personally, I think 35 pounds is really damn good and it sounds like you're making amazing progress. For me, not tracking is really detrimental. I became overweight because I was not keeping track and eating the same thing FI ate, even the same portions. But you have set a really good foundation for yourself, you know what you should eat and I definitely don't think a two-week no counting period would cause you any harm.
    Slowww down, little ticker. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • 35 pounds is a great accomplishment.  Maybe your trainer is trying to see if you are at some kind of mental block.   I'm sure it will be difficult to not count, but I don't think you will completely sabotage yourself.  You know how much work losing weight is!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • edited May 2010

I think it's worth a shot. We are so programmed to assign a value to food. Good calories, bad calories. Good fat grams, bad fat grams. Etc. It negates the value of just eating a balanced diet on a schedule that fuels your metabolism. Try it for two weeks and if it doesn't do anything for you, you're no worse off than you are now.

I would suggest picking a good, healthy protein and a good carb and combining them 5-6 times a day, in portions no bigger than your palm. Toss in some veggies twice a day and drink tons of water, but don't count anything. Good luck! :)

• NebbNebb member
    Right now im eating some delicious trail mix, not the best but eh, its something. For lunch I will have a turkey wrap, cottage chese and a pear.
    I did NOT bring an afternoon snack though :( FAIL.

I do agree bec, it does negate the value of a balanced diet because I get so hung up on how many grams of this or that is in what im choosing that im probably screwing myself up.

I have been hovering at the 175-178lb mark for the past FOUR months, so obviously what im doing isnt working, and I do think maybe it is some kind of mental block.

I hope it works!
  • Oh, I hope it does too! :) The progress you've made is AMAZING, and if this jumpstarts your loss then that will be freakin awesome.
  • NebbNebb member
    Thanks :) I sure hope so. I would still like to lose another 30lbs MINIMUM... so I still have a ways to go.
  • Maybe too the idea of not tracking your food so closely will allow your body to take in different calorie levels then it is used to and kind of shake up your system a little bit. Maybe it has gotten so use to the same amount of calories every day that it has become efficient in burning them.

Sometimes we have to mix things up a bit even if it just a mental game we are playing, but if you trust your trainer, then hopefuly she knows what she is doing and has a valid reason behind her madness :) Good luck.
    Jolie on the Run Wedding Countdown Ticker
    132 Invited image
    38 Can't wait to party image
    0 Don't like fun image
    94 ? image
  • NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_eating-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:5d51637d-3d6a-4946-9273-811abd018768Post:32aa97fc-0cec-41ad-aee1-ec55e0a76eda">Re: my eating</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Maybe too the idea of not tracking your food so closely will allow your body to take in different calorie levels then it is used to and kind of shake up your system a little bit</strong>. Maybe it has gotten so use to the same amount of calories every day that it has become efficient in burning them. Sometimes we have to mix things up a bit even if it just a mental game we are playing, but if you trust your trainer, then hopefuly she knows what she is doing and has a valid reason behind her madness :) Good luck.
    Posted by jabeckner[/QUOTE]
    Hmm I didnt think of it that way! Good point!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_eating-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:5d51637d-3d6a-4946-9273-811abd018768Post:61e98d42-7536-45f9-8a50-48b8f30da2cc">Re: my eating</a>:
    [QUOTE]I eat a lot of the same things over and over. I generally know what is in most of my usuals. What she wants me to get away from is eating this or that because of how it fits in my calories, as opposed to eating this or that because its good for me and im hungry. I do see the value in that I suppose
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

This is what I was thinking. I'm guilty of that too - realizing I can fit 2 beers in to my total count for the day, or skipping a snack so I can have dessert. Not that you can't do those things, but maybe she's trying to help you make good decisions on <em>healthy </em>items ALL the time, not just "x has x-number of calories." More like that whole wheat toast with peanut butter is good and healthy, but technically has more fat and calories than special K, you know?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited May 2010
    First; way to go on losing 35 lbs!  That is awesome!!!  Good for you!! 

Second; if it helps any, I do not count my calories in or out and I've lost 26 lbs in the past 4 months.  The biggest thing I do is eat whole foods, fresh foods and natural foods.  I read the ingredient lables on *EVERYTHING* and if it's got a long list of stuff I can't identify, or if it's got high fructose corn syrup or any hydroginated oils, I don't eat it.  (which those two things alone are hiding in SOOOO many foods!)

But I've found replacement items for things I had to give up.  Like there's brands of natural chips out there (Food Should Taste Good is one of my fav brands) that has all natural ingredients.  That, with some organic salsa or homemade guac or homemade black bean dip - YUM!

But as for like "Light dressings" I don't eat them - most of them are loaded with crap, I threw out my 100-calorie packs when I started eating this way, I make my own peanut butter (which takes 5 mins and only has peanuts & peanut oil), I switched to sprouted grain bread and using grains like quinoa and millet, instead of wheat or white flour items.. and started aiming to eat a salad for at LEAST one meal a day... but often 2... when I want something sweet I eat organic Medjool dates (YUM!) or extra dark chocolate (73% or higher cocoa)  oh and almond milk with granola is a yummy sweet snack.

Oh and I work on "proper food combining" which is eating types of foods in certain combinations that are more easily digestible. 

Anywho, that's what I do and its going very well.  I can tell you more if you'd like, but I won't go on if you're not intrested.   But that's the gist.
  • Wow, 35 lbs. is amazing, also because I know you have put on muscle as well!! ; D
    -
    For me I track my ratios of protein vs. carbs vs fats. I don't look at calories so much. 
    -
    I do get in a food rut though just because I know what's in things I eat often so laziness or lack of time does get me in a routine. Which now that I think about it is bad because boredom is my biggest enemy to start the cravings! 
    -
    Light Bulb Moment! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards