Wedding Reception Forum

Dinner Cruise Wedding Reception

Has anyone here done a wedding reception on a dinner cruise ship?  We are considering this alternative, and it looks like a really attractive option.  For not much more money than an all-inclusive hall you get food, linen, dj, site, etc... 

Has anyone here done this?  What did you think?  Any advice?  Was it awesome and low stress, or was it cookie-cutter and tacky?  I really want to know.

Thanks!

Re: Dinner Cruise Wedding Reception

• I've never seen it done, personally, so I wouldn't consider it cookie cutter. Sounds interesting and fun!
  • It sounds really nice, honestly.  I've seen a few epsidoes of Four Weddings that did this.

Do keep in mind that some people get seasick.  I would decline your wedding (I'm sorry!), but nothing about eating and drinking on a boat that will only make me puke sounds like a good time.  I know people will say it's gentle, etc... but some people are more sensitive than others.  Do keep that in mind while thinking about your guest list!  It might not even be a problem for your crowd.
  • I would love this! Just make sure you don't "over invite" in terms of the guest list. By that I mean, don't cram the boat to capacity full of guests just to get your money's worth.
  • I've never seen it, so I wouldn't say it was cookie cutter either.  I think it sounds like fun.

My concern would be about whether people would be "stuck."  We had a couple of guests that, for whatever reason, couldn't stay out late.  (Age, kids, work, health, etc.)  In a sitution with a cruise, I would think all of those people would have had to decline if there wasn't a way off the boat.  
  • My SIL did this last year for her wedding. It was a big boat and a relatively small wedding (50 people), so there were people from the community on the boat as well who paid for their dinner cruise, but were in no way associated with the wedding.  

The ceremony itself was on the top floor of the boat in the harbor.  It happened while the boat was still docked.  Afterwards, the cocktail hour was one floor down, open bar.  This was great for us, and other random people who went up to the bar for free drinks.  For dinner we went into a separate room which was really cramped.  It was so small that in order for us to dance after dinner they had to remove most of the tables and chairs.  I didn't like that, nor did I dance.  The wedding also ended very early as the boat was back in port by 9 or 9:30, can't remember which.  So, all in all, you should get all the specifics before you decide.  
  • I would personally love it.  I love being on a boat and I always stick out receptions until the very end.   That said, I could see where guests who have seasickness issues and guests who like to leave early wouldn't be thrilled.  I say ask your VIPs if it's something they'd enjoy and, if so, go for it!
  • I would also have to decline.  Not only do I get seasick, I have a terrible mold allergy which prohibits me from being inside a boat and not out on deck without getting bad asthma.  

I'll add this too: my florist was saying how he does weddings on a dinner cruise in Boston, but he has to charge more for it because of how difficult it is to load in and out of a cruiseship.

Otherwise, I think it sounds unique and fun!

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I went to one in May and I hate to say it but it was a disaster. The water was rough and people were getting sick.  Rough seas + open bar don't mix.  Also the food was terrible.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for all of the help.  I really do appreciate it.  I hadn't really considered what would happen if the weather was bad, or that guests would be "stranded".  I still like the idea, and I think its different and guests would get a kick out of it.  My sister who tends to be late would literally "miss the boat" if she does her normal thing!  :)

Dramamine wedding favors, hmm...
  • I'm having my reception on a dinner cruise.  We have it to ourselves.  I get motion sickness from time to time, so my mom and I went out on a lunch cruise they do.  The weather the day we went was awful.  The company also does whale watches and they were telling people not to buy tickets because they'd probably get sick (never seen a company not want to take money like that!).  We were warned by the crew that it was the worst day in terms of waves.  I didn't take anything for motion sickness.  We sat in the bow of the boat (the worst place for motion).  I was fine because a) we stayed in the harbor and b) it's a big boat.  It really only got "bumpy" when the Coast Guard wizzed by us to get to a vessel in distress.  We talked it over with our VIPs who said that if I was satisfied and didn't spend the cruise with my head over the rail, they'd trust me.  And they've seen pictures and know it's not a tiny sailboat.

That's me and my situation.  Your situation could be different.  See if you can go out on the boat before you book.  And try to get a "bumpy" day and see how bad it is.  I wanted to meet the captain (who could be different next year) to ask about the route and contingency plans.  I also found pictures online of other weddings on that specific cruise and read every review I could get my hands on.

I know my VIPs are going to be there.  And I know the majority of our guests like boats (half of them own boats).  Most of the guests attended an anniversary party for my parents on a boat a few years back and loved it.  We cut our recpetion from five hours to four because people can't leave.  And we worked it out with the company that the boat doesn't leave until we tell them too (so if my sister is running late, I'm not leaving wtihout her).

Write down the important concerns and take it to the company.  Get your answers, and see if it works for you.  Good luck!
  • that's pretty common here and they've always been fun.

• Yep, Lake Erie and the lovely Cleveland skyline. 

No Cleveland jokes, please.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards