March 2013 Weddings

Dress shopping

My Mom, MOH and I are headed dress shopping this Saturday! This is my first time dress shopping and would love some pointers.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dress shopping

• Wear nice undies since people will see them. 
    Drink lots of water, since it can be a work out. 
    Try on different styles. Even if you don't think you'll like them, sometimes you can't tell until you look at it in the mirror so keep an open mind. 
    If you have a budget, I would say be upfront about it. Don't let them put you in a dress that you can't afford because chances are you'll fall in love with it and then face the tough decision. 

That's all I can think of right now. 
    Good luck!!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I agree with PP. Definitely tell them your budget upfront and tell your consultant that this is your first time trying on dresses. If you have pictures of dresses you like, bring them in and show them to her. And definitely be open to trying on some that you might not like initially or a different style. Aso, don't feel pressured to buy a dress that day. Think about coming down the aisle in that dress and if you can't picture it any other way, then purchase :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • -Tell them your budget and be adament about not trying on dresses outside of it unless you're willing to go up in price.
    -Try on things you might not like. Try different shapes (a-line, mermaid, ball gown), different fabrics (lace, silk, taffeta), and different colors (white and ivory) to get the best idea of what you like and don't like. Things look way different on the rack or on the models than they will look on you, even if you do have a great body!
    -Don't bring too many people. Too many opinions can be annoying.
    -Don't let them pressure you into buying something right then unless it's truly what you want. If you need to think it over, do it.
    -Agree about the underwear thing - wear something that covers you and is more of a neutral color. It probably won't show through but it might! As for bras, some places give you one to use, otherwise you could either wear a strapless bra or try on without.
    -Don't expect that "feeling". Not all brides get it. Though something may surprise you!
    -Don't be afraid of a consignment dress - mine is and it's in great condition! Plus it was half off the original price :-)

All I can think of at the moment!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Thanks ladies! I have a print out of the dresses I liked along with a couple dresses out of my price range that are consignment dresses (that fall into my budget b/c of consignment) I was wondering about the underwear thing. I really don't like others seeing me in underwear but i guess I am going to have to get over it :/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2013-weddings_dress-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:2fb7282e-ed53-4794-84c9-f5617fc97f8bDiscussion:9319c2ed-1dc1-482d-94da-75e67271a67bPost:d014ff95-4a5e-40e1-ab86-e8c15061cc0d">Re: Dress shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies! I have a print out of the dresses I liked along with a couple dresses out of my price range that are consignment dresses (that fall into my budget b/c of consignment) I was wondering about the underwear thing. I really don't like others seeing me in underwear but i guess I am going to have to get over it :/
    Posted by thomas2013[/QUOTE]

Well, you don't HAVE to have someone help you into the dress but I'll admit it was helpful. Some places I just went in the room and got the dress mostly on, then came out and had someone finish zipping it up. When I went with my MOH I had been wearing the robe thing they give you in between dresses (not all stores do this btw) but I just gave up, either way she was going to see quite a bit because I took off my bra to try on the dresses, haha. Oh well. Didn't bother me that much but I can totally understand that some people are uncomfortable with that no matter who is in the room!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • I agree with everything, also have whoever goes with you bring a light sweater or jacket because they keep bridal stores freezeing because you get so hot in the dress and they might freeze just sitting :-)
    siggyaugust Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So true miss crafty! I forgot how cold it was in there until you mentioned that! Haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2013-weddings_dress-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:2fb7282e-ed53-4794-84c9-f5617fc97f8bDiscussion:9319c2ed-1dc1-482d-94da-75e67271a67bPost:3d5a7237-b820-4dba-8ef9-23bd9d1edc77">Re:Dress shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]How did it go Thomas?
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

I was going to post this too! Did you find your dress? Pics? :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • as for me, i will also think about shopping wedding dress online, there are quite professal websites specialziing in selling wedding dress , the price is much lower than i n  the shop,may be you can see the woweddigdress , david bridal websites for ideas!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards