Snarky Brides

If you're going to flame someone..

that uses the "R" word, at least know how to correctly use terms related to people with disabilities.

Some of the remarks related to harmrose were just as ignorant. Yes, it is great that you would want to defend those with disabilities and people who use the words carelessly, but at least be educated about the subject.

As many of you say, Google is your friend. Check out "People First Language" by Kathie Snow.

Meg-"Mentally retarded and autistic BIL" - How about my BIL with a developmental disability and autism.

Sesh- "Mentally challenged aunt" REALLY?? Shame on your mother for not teaching you how to correctly address those with disabilities...the worst is you pretty much pitting your mother's students
"(who were so sweet and don't deserve such stereotypes)"

Know what you are talking about before you look like an "asshat" as well

Re: If you're going to flame someone..

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_going-flame-someone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0dee1198-8106-4061-976c-e49ad10f39d8Post:af0cad4a-4a96-4f21-819e-9dc8582899c3">If you're going to flame someone..</a>:
    [QUOTE]that uses the "R" word, at least know how to correctly use terms related to people with disabilities. Some of the remarks related to harmrose were just as ignorant. Yes, it is great that you would want to defend those with disabilities and people who use the words carelessly, but at least be educated about the subject. As many of you say, Google is your friend. Check out "People First Language" by Kathie Snow. Meg-"Mentally retarded and autistic BIL" - How about my BIL with a developmental disability and autism. Sesh- "Mentally challenged aunt" REALLY?? Shame on your mother for not teaching you how to correctly address those with disabilities...the worst is you pretty much pitting your mother's students "(who were so sweet and don't deserve such stereotypes)" Know what you are talking about before you look like an "asshat" as well
    Posted by EliseJamms[/QUOTE]

Oh this is rich. 

Why didn't you put this in that post?  After all, that is what the post was created for.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Just so we're straight - you're upset both that people were using the "R" word, and that people who were offended by the use of the "R" word weren't defending their challenged loved ones correctly?

panther
  • Being overly politcally correct is gay.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Wow. Way to be a total asshat about it. It's one thing to educate people, but you're acting like a cvnt. Do you really think that your message will actually get across to those you intended it to when you come out with guns blazing?
  • This thread is retarded.
  • Can I still call poop, turds and vice versa?

(I'm not sure how to punctuate that sentence.)
  • I'm going to purposely make sure to never Google the words "People First Language" in that order at any time just because of this thread.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • ohwhynotohwhynot member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    GMAFB.  There's a world of difference between saying "My mentally challenged aunt" or "my autistic brother" and using "retard" as a noun.  You are just being obnoxious.  While the "people first" philosophy is nice, there's nothing inherently wrong with using a characteristic of the person as an adjective to describe the person:  "my blonde aunt", for example, or "my tall brother." Are these offensive because the person is "defined" as blonde or tall?  Not at all - that may simply be the characteristic that is most salient to the discussion.   

And please learn to write in complete sentences:  I realize that spluttering in outrage can compromise one's ability to write coherently, but at least try. 
  • http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/retarded

Main Entry: re·tard·ed
    Pronunciation: \ri-ˈtär-dəd\
    Function: adjective
    Date: 1895

sometimes offensive : slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress

So... basically you're saying they're retarded?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_going-flame-someone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0dee1198-8106-4061-976c-e49ad10f39d8Post:8123cf04-4d9a-4490-bdd9-3f247e8e5bc3">Re: If you're going to flame someone..</a>:
    [QUOTE]*yawns* And hello to you too. Nice FIRST post.
    Posted by Champagne Supernova[/QUOTE]

Methinks this isn't this persons first post.  It is probably a reg'ish person around here with an AE.  People are such p*ssies.
  • FWIW, I made a reference to making Google your friend about not knowing what the G20 is. It's kind of an important concept.

And this belongs in the FFW thread posted under your real, regular username. If you have an opinion, own it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_going-flame-someone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0dee1198-8106-4061-976c-e49ad10f39d8Post:10bd9746-6440-4f4e-a3ad-c2fec5fd53ce">Re: If you're going to flame someone..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can I still call poop, turds and vice versa? (I'm not sure how to punctuate that sentence.)
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]
    That's offensive to turds.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_going-flame-someone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0dee1198-8106-4061-976c-e49ad10f39d8Post:90d9191f-ae9b-4b75-b612-5ec56dde2b8e">Re: If you're going to flame someone..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you're going to flame someone.. : That's offensive to turds.
    Posted by betrothed123[/QUOTE]

Both of those words are offensive.  The proper phrase is "digestive leftovers".

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• What doesn't offend turds?

Google is telling me that a G20 is an Infiniti.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_going-flame-someone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0dee1198-8106-4061-976c-e49ad10f39d8Post:01a694dc-be46-4c30-a94f-ab84f8974647">Re: If you're going to flame someone..</a>:
    [QUOTE]What doesn't offend turds? Google is telling me that a G20 is an Infiniti.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

Google is also retarded.
  • And then she doesn't come back. Why do they always run away? Come back? We want to understand why you are so crazy.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_going-flame-someone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0dee1198-8106-4061-976c-e49ad10f39d8Post:d7d6df80-f3ec-46a3-ad4d-3990196a18eb">Re: If you're going to flame someone..</a>:
    [QUOTE]My cat is retarded.
    Posted by Champagne Supernova[/QUOTE]

Well, I wasn't going to say anything BUT.... :p
  • Such pathetic snarky brides! It's amazing how fast you jump on posts!
  • This person sucks! She made two whiny, bitchy posts and then retreats.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_going-flame-someone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0dee1198-8106-4061-976c-e49ad10f39d8Post:5c04367a-826d-4968-bf85-218261971036">Re: If you're going to flame someone..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Such pathetic snarky brides! It's amazing how fast you jump on posts!
    Yeah, we're the pathetic ones when you have nothing better to do with your time but try to stir up crap with a bunch of people you don't know.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • haha what a lame troll. the tried to flame me in the photography post, too, but totally failed. interesting timiing for a lame, rude troll to appear over here. it makes you wonder.

i welcome the new troll. she makes me laugh, and laughter is grand.
  • i heard a rumor that this troll is actually heels.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_going-flame-someone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0dee1198-8106-4061-976c-e49ad10f39d8Post:5c04367a-826d-4968-bf85-218261971036">Re: If you're going to flame someone..</a>:

An internet stranger called us pathetic. I must go die now. How will life ever go on???
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_going-flame-someone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0dee1198-8106-4061-976c-e49ad10f39d8Post:5c04367a-826d-4968-bf85-218261971036">Re: If you're going to flame someone..</a>:

I'm impressed with your originality. Oh wait. No, I'm not.
  • Wow. That's just great. I just jumped back on here and found this. No way is that me. I was taking cew's advice to drop it and move on. I apoligized eairler, and wouldn't sink low enough to post as an AE. That is stupid. I was upset that I offended people, but not enough to do this.

Dog.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_going-flame-someone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0dee1198-8106-4061-976c-e49ad10f39d8Post:af0cad4a-4a96-4f21-819e-9dc8582899c3">If you're going to flame someone..</a>:
    [QUOTE]that uses the "R" word, at least know how to correctly use terms related to people with disabilities. Some of the remarks related to harmrose were just as ignorant. Yes, it is great that you would want to defend those with disabilities and people who use the words carelessly, but at least be educated about the subject. As many of you say, Google is your friend. Check out "People First Language" by Kathie Snow. <strong>Meg-"Mentally retarded and autistic BIL" - How about my BIL with a developmental disability and autism.</strong> Sesh- "Mentally challenged aunt" REALLY?? Shame on your mother for not teaching you how to correctly address those with disabilities...the worst is you pretty much pitting your mother's students "(who were so sweet and don't deserve such stereotypes)" Know what you are talking about before you look like an "asshat" as well

Actually, the way I phrased it is the exact way the entire family (and his one on one teacher) refers to his disabilities. Yes, I (and our family) am aware that there are ways many people prefer to refer to his disability. But thanks for playing and judging how much we know/care.
  • I'm assuming that the G20 comments refer to the G20 summit?

I have a box of rain.
    No, that's not my real name. And FH's name isn't Nun (as in Nun ya bidness) either.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_going-flame-someone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0dee1198-8106-4061-976c-e49ad10f39d8Post:575f7377-e8e1-441e-bd18-d11c562d540b">Re: If you're going to flame someone..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow. That's just great. I just jumped back on here and found this. No way is that me. I was taking cew's advice to drop it and move on. I apoligized eairler, and wouldn't sink low enough to post as an AE. That is stupid. I was upset that I offended people, but not enough to do this.
    Posted by harmrose02[/QUOTE]

Did anyone say it was you?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_going-flame-someone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0dee1198-8106-4061-976c-e49ad10f39d8Post:0ca2e165-6b36-4242-b351-643a2cef23f2">Re: If you're going to flame someone..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you're going to flame someone.. : Did anyone say it was you?
    Posted by scoetto[/QUOTE]

ohnooo, here we go again...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_going-flame-someone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0dee1198-8106-4061-976c-e49ad10f39d8Post:575f7377-e8e1-441e-bd18-d11c562d540b">Re: If you're going to flame someone..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow. That's just great. I just jumped back on here and found this. No way is that me. I was taking cew's advice to drop it and move on. I apoligized eairler, and wouldn't sink low enough to post as an AE. That is stupid. I was upset that I offended people, but not enough to do this.
    Posted by harmrose02[/QUOTE]
    Until this very post the thought that it might be you never crossed my mind.  Now I'm thinking you were way too defensive to be innocent considering no one had mentioned you prior to this.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards