Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

First Dance

Just curious what you are thinking or what you had for your first dance. I love seeing what songs people pick and think it says a lot about the relationship.

Right now leaning towards Toby Lightman "Good Find" this describes us pretty well and while she isn't very well known, she is my fave female artist and we always go to her concerts when she is in town.

Re: First Dance

• graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing a waltz to either Vienna Blood or Vienna Woods by Strauss. It goes with our Victorian theme. I love the feeling of romance it brings back when people do the old timey stuff. 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Agnus Carlsson "Right Here, Right now"

It's always been one of my favorite songs and I think it really captures how we feel about each other :)
  • edited December 2011
    We both really love Joshua Radin 'Today' so we have that picked right now, but if our priest will not let us play any non chruch songs during the ceremony it will change.  We really want 'Bless the Broken Road' for our unity sand song...but are not sure if he will let us.  That has been 'our song' since it came out.  So if will not let us play it during the ceremony we will probably have that as our first dance. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • sailerweddingsailerwedding member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are 99% sure we are using Ray Lamontagne's You Are The Best Thing.
    We both love love love him!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

We're doing Bless The Broken Road.  Like PP said, that's been our song ever since the Rascal Flatts version came out.  Although the group that sings the Christian version is really good also.  Now everytime I hear it I picture us dancing to it at our venue, with all of our friends & family there... Makes me cry everytime!  Happy tears though!!  = )

• edited December 2011

Michael Buble - Hold On :)

• edited December 2011
    FI threatens to use "This Love" by Pantera.  This is not going to happen.

I personally can't stand love songs in general, so this is a toughie.  As far as my musical taste goes, I'm very much a bitter single girl, and there aren't many love songs by metal bands or Pink Floyd, my favorite.  Right now, I'm leaning towards something by Ella Fitzgerald or Bobby Darrin, but I don't know what yet.  Our first dance will last all of 30 seconds before we invite everyone else up to dance, so it's not a really high priority.  We're lousy dancers, anyway.
  • edited December 2011
    "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton.  This was the song we danced to on our first date! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • debbieupperdebbieupper member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_first-dance-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:a9e47e89-9850-4593-b2c5-8f2f0d000f72Post:078829eb-0c39-4fae-ae89-1c367351db57">Re: First Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are 99% sure we are using Ray Lamontagne's You Are The Best Thing. We both love love love him!
    Posted by sailerwedding[/QUOTE]

<div>I love this song. My friend played this for us as we walked down the aisle <em>after</em> we were married (I guess that's called the recessional).</div><div>
    </div><div>Our first dance was to "You and Me" by DMB. Every time I hear it I get all grinny.</div><div>
    </div><div>I also love "Thank you" by Led Zeppelin, and we used that in our slideshow video.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "Secret Smile" by Semisonic
  • archie08archie08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    True Companion by Marc Cohn
  • drdifabiodrdifabio member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We danced to "You're My Best Friend" by Queen. It was perfect for us - the words and it is up beat and on the shorter side. I love watching first dances but after a couple minutes I get bored.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is anyone taking dance classes prior to the wedding or doing a choreographed dance?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    "We are the Champions"
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I think we are using "from the clouds" by Jack Johnson. It's light and fun
    Anniversary
  • ogrady88ogrady88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I Only Have Eyes for You-The Flamingos

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_first-dance-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:a9e47e89-9850-4593-b2c5-8f2f0d000f72Post:b26eda3c-55d5-4d18-91f1-0d44eaf95fd3">Re: First Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is anyone taking dance classes prior to the wedding or doing a choreographed dance?

Nope.  We're going to shuffle around the floor like a couple of 3rd graders.  I'd love to do it, but there's no way I'm going to talk FI into it.  He's literally the shyest person on the planet.
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_first-dance-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:a9e47e89-9850-4593-b2c5-8f2f0d000f72Post:b26eda3c-55d5-4d18-91f1-0d44eaf95fd3">Re: First Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is anyone taking dance classes prior to the wedding or doing a choreographed dance?

<div>We took 6 lessons because A)Andy had NO idea how to dance, B) I didn't want to do the high school sway for 3.5 minutes straight, and C)We both wanted to learn how to dance together!</div><div>
    </div><div>Our dance was choreographed, but not in the "oh my gosh, that's a choreographed dance" way. Not sure if that makes sense. Basically we incorporated some fun moves into a basic waltz box step (first had to learn the box step.) I'm so glad we did it. It wasn't overboard, just better than the sway. </div>
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • ogrady88ogrady88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_first-dance-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:a9e47e89-9850-4593-b2c5-8f2f0d000f72Post:b26eda3c-55d5-4d18-91f1-0d44eaf95fd3">Re: First Dance</a>:

Nope, I think we'll be ok, nothing to special...but I'm sure FI would kill me if I told him I was going to add to his course load next semester.
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_first-dance-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:a9e47e89-9850-4593-b2c5-8f2f0d000f72Post:b26eda3c-55d5-4d18-91f1-0d44eaf95fd3">Re: First Dance</a>:

<div>
    </div><div>Yes, we took a few waltz lessons and will practice what we're doing before hand with me in my poofy crinoline. </div>
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

We are!  I am super excited :)  FI is totally into it, too - he's been youtubing dances so that we will be at least a little prepared for the class. We want the same "choreographed but not overly so" look that PP said - like we know what we are doing, but not too showy :)

My Planning Bio Updated 9.2.11
    My New House Bio! Updated 5.8.11
    image 356 Invited image 144 will be there! image 212 missing out image 0 holding up the show

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_first-dance-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:a9e47e89-9850-4593-b2c5-8f2f0d000f72Post:08b9f5c6-68f2-4a14-a075-cec1d22e172d">Re: First Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]"We are the Champions"
    Posted by emilykathleen511[/QUOTE]

???
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_first-dance-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:a9e47e89-9850-4593-b2c5-8f2f0d000f72Post:5e5aba39-765c-4f49-844a-0dbd3e0acd6e">Re: First Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: First Dance : We took 6 lessons because A)Andy had NO idea how to dance, B) I didn't want to do the high school sway for 3.5 minutes straight, and C)We both wanted to learn how to dance together! Our dance was choreographed, but not in the "oh my gosh, that's a choreographed dance" way. Not sure if that makes sense. Basically we incorporated some fun moves into a basic waltz box step (first had to learn the box step.) I'm so glad we did it. It wasn't overboard, just better than the sway. 
    Posted by debbieupper[/QUOTE]

That is what I want to do, our song is a little faster then most first dances that I've seen and we are so not great dancers. Learning how to do a few fun twirls and dips is pretty much all I'm looking for! Definitely want to avoid the high school sway as well :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We have chosen "When God Made You" by newsong as our first dance song! :)

We really wanted it to include God and we loved how both a guy and girl sang in the song. It makes it more about eachother, which we loved! :)

Also, I know this wasnt asked but we chose the song "I will be here" by Steven Curtis Chapman as our ceremony song that will be played and sang by a friend of ours while we light the unity candle!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used "Only You" by Joshua Radin. First of all, we both LOVE Joshua Radin. Second, it's an easy song to dance to (yes, we did the "third-grade-shuffle") and it's suuuuper short (like, less than 2 minutes as I recall.) Plus, it's just one of the cutest songs ever.
  • edited December 2011
    We used "History in the Making" by Darius Rucker.
  • Sara191431Sara191431 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "You and Me" by Dave Matthews Bands.  We love them, FI sings the song to me and add is our dog name, and he re-proposed to me to at at a show.  

Well now that I think about it, IF, we even decide to do a first dance (wedding and reception is in Vegas) but if so, that's what it'd be!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_first-dance-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:a9e47e89-9850-4593-b2c5-8f2f0d000f72Post:62e38217-87e6-4c73-8629-f26bd243cece">Re: First Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: First Dance : ???
    Posted by tpender13[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>by Queen</div><div>
    </div>
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_first-dance-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:a9e47e89-9850-4593-b2c5-8f2f0d000f72Post:097292d8-78b9-45e6-bf30-f0eb60bb1f5b">Re: First Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: First Dance : by Queen
    Posted by emilykathleen511[/QUOTE]

<div>haha, I shouldn't speak for tpender, but I think the question marks were probably out of curiosity for why you chose "We Are the Champions" ... It's cute and always a fun song -- is there a story behind your reason for choosing it?</div>
    Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards