Wedding Party

Help! Poem from Mom (bride) to 8 yr old daughter (flower girl)

I found cute/meaningful poems for everyone in my wedding party besides my daughter. She is considered a flower girl but wants to be called a jr bridesmaid but I am awful with words and can't find ANYTHING from a bride who is writing to her daughter. Anyideas?

Re: Help! Poem from Mom (bride) to 8 yr old daughter (flower girl)

• You know what would be better than a poem you found online?  A meaningful note to pass on to her - perhaps even for her wedding day someday.  I would write something, and you could let her read it now, but I would keep it or a copy and give it to her down the road.  She's eight - get her a toy or something else she will enjoy.
  • Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited July 2012
    I've seen handkerchiefs with the following embroidered in blue

For My Flower Girl

You are so very young but the years will pass by,
    and you'll too be a bride in the blink of an eye.

While you may not remember the day that I married,
    the part that you played or the basket (or bouquet)  you carried.

There will be a day that will burn bright like an ember,
    the day you will wed,you will always remember.

So here is a hankie for the day you will say...
    "I need "something old" for my wedding day"

All My Love Sweetheart

But I'd also do something more personal in addition
  • Thank you! She is young but very mature for her age, and wants to be just like the big kids! So if everyone else gets a poem I'm worried she will be upset that she wasn't included and just got a toy. But I guess I can try to write something for just her that sounds ok
  • I love the flower girl poem, in fact I used it for my niece. That's why I was looking for something else but I am for sure keeping that as a back up! Thanks
  • I know saying this isn't going to make me popular, I really hate that flower girl poem. What if she chooses not to marry? What if she doesn't meet anyone she'd like to marry? What if she can't legally marry who she would like? There are plenty of lovely mother/daughter poems out there that don't make assumptions about a kid's future marital status and wouldn't make her feel bad if she comes across it as an unmarried adult. 
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • That's fine to have that opinion, but there aren't other poems out there because I have looked. I'm not worried about giving her something at age 8 that will effect her future, we have a very close and open relationship and she knows I support her in every way. I just need something to make her happy now, not 15years from now which she probably won't remember anyway
  • It'd probably mean more to everyone involved if you wrote them a heartfelt note, even something short. Really, writing a little something from your heart is a lot more thoughtful than just copying something off the Internet. I don't keep many cards, but the few I HAVE kept are kept because of what my loved one wrote inside, not what Hallmark wrote. Anybody can Google "bridesmaid poem." Writing a little note yourself ensures that your friends and daughter are getting something genuine and special that's just for them.
  • Spunky414Spunky414 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_help-poem-from-mom-bride-to-8-yr-old-daughter-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:0b761b6a-2e72-471d-9b28-eaa50d51dc96Post:10a06379-68af-449f-855d-c72a8a798eb0">Re:Help! Poem from Mom bride to 8 yr old daughter flower girl</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's fine to have that opinion, but there aren't other poems out there because I have looked. I'm not worried about giving her something at age 8 that will effect her future, we have a very close and open relationship and she knows I support her in every way. I just need something to make her happy now, not 15years from now which she probably won't remember anyway
    Posted by speery1986[/QUOTE]

<div>Then you should find something that's about her now, not her potential future as a bride. You could be surprised at what sticks with a kid. Anyway, something that might be what you are looking for: A Mother's Love Is Forever by Alan Royer  <a href="http://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/a-mothers-love-is-forever" rel="nofollow">http://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/a-mothers-love-is-forever</a></div><div>That site has an entire category of mother/daughter poems. </div>
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards