Rhode Island

First Fitting - VENT

I LOVE my dress... It's a bedazzled Maggie Sottero ballgown that makes me feel like a princess.  Even better, I found it at a trunk show and got a great deal!

I've never been one to spend much on shoes, but I went all-out and got the most gorgeous, sparkly pair of Jimmy Choos.  I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them and was SO excited to wear them on my wedding day.

I had my first fitting tonight and, of course, the shoes make my gown too short!  My options include the following: 
1) Have a cobbler shorten the Choos to a 2.5-3 inch heel (no way!)
2) Find different shoes with a 2.5 inch heel
3) Find different shoes, and have them shortened to 2.5 inches

I am SO bummed - Now I don't get to wear the shoes I was so excited about, plus I am on Mission Impossible to find cute shoes with a 2.5 heel (if they even exist!)  I don't remember the gown looking short at all when I bought it... Has this happened to anyone else??  Or am I the only idiot? lol

Venting is now complete... Thanks for listening:)

Re: First Fitting - VENT

• lwolf2001lwolf2001 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, mine sits 1 inch above the ground, but i think it looks fine.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a completely ridiculous individual and would most likely buy a new pair of heels to wear with the dress and then buy a short reception dress to wear at the end of the night to showcase the Jimmy Choos. I'm sorry this happened. How disappointing! I'm sure you will find some future event to show off your amazying shoes. The upside to all of this is that the 2.5 inch heel will most likely be much more comfortable to wear for an entire evening.
  • edited December 2011
    I am in the completely ridiculous category too.  I would do the same Devcipps.  
  • mary106mary106 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow - that really sucks! I'm sorry to hear about your perdicament...

I think I agree with my fellow knotties with the second dress option - even though it is a bit rediculous.

The thing is - you can't have the dress looking too short. And, like you said, you can't shorten the heels of the Choos (shoe brutality!)

On the plus side, I truly believe you can find a cute pair of shoes that are 2.5 inches. A store clerk once told me that the measurement on the box is not always acurate, because the manufacturer measures the whole back part of the shoe -which is off. Measure the actual height of the heel itself. Hope that helps! GL!
  • wendyk33wendyk33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Sometime there is enough fabric they can take down the hem or something on the dress. Maybe they can do this?

If they are good seamstress they should figure something out to accommodate you. I would try and ask.

When I bought my dress the lady told me what height heel I could wear with the dress so I didn’t look for anything higher than 2 inches.

• edited December 2011
    If you love love  love your dress and you don't want a reception dress you should just go with a shoe with the right sized heel.  Chances are if you shorten the heel of a shoe you like, you won't like it as much.  If you google ballroom dancing shoes you may find some really cute ones and you can often order them in all different heel lengths.  
    And as far as the Choos, look at the bright side.  You got a fantastic pair of shoes you probably wouldn't have splurged on normally that you can wear as often as you want.  
  • edited December 2011
    I was bummed about your shoes!  I have been lusting after some very exspensive shoes myself!  If you HAVE to buy an second pair you should try piperlime.com.  They hvae great shoes at a decent price!
  • edited December 2011
    That stinks, I'm sorry! I too also fall in the ridiculous category and would get a second dress. For the new shoes, try zappos.com, you can search by shoe color, size and height! 
    Good luck!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Love it:)... This was precisely the kind of "dilemma" that seems trivial (or even a little silly) to a girlfriend NOT planning a wedding (who is likely to insist that it doesn't matter because no one even sees the bride's shoes).  A Knottie, on the other hand, understands perfectly...

THANKS, GIRLS!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards