Washington-Seattle

Bridesmaid Dresses

So how did you choose? Is is okay that just my sister and I went shopping and found them I did not think involving all 7 women would be the easiest or quickest plan. So we just went for it.
So now I am sending them an email to inform them that in a little over a month we can put in our orders. I attached information about the dress, a picture, the price ($130) and where they can get measured/ see the dress in person.

Is this okay?

Re: Bridesmaid Dresses

• carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that's fine, but you might be willing to be flexible if someone really objects.  I went shopping with 2 of my 3 BM's over the weekend, and it was really apparent that different dresses look waaaaay different on their different shapes.  I want them to feel pretty, so I'm going to do my best to find a designer with dresses that will work with each of their shapes.
  • edited December 2011
    Can u imagine 7 girls trying to choose one dress? I think you are fine going ahead making the decision, it would ultimately be yours anyways, so i think you saved yourself a lot of headache. Do the girls know the price range of the dresses u would be looking at. Though its not unreasonable,  I can imagine one of the them not being happy at having to put up that kind of money for a dress they didn't have a say in. Hopefully your BM's are super easy going. 
  • edited December 2011
    I think that it was okay, but I agree w/ Carrie, you may want to be flexible if a couple of them REALLY don't like it. Hopefully they all do! But I also agree about different shapes. None of my girls are getting the same dress, just knee length and burnt orange are the rules. They would look funny in the same dress. But nice job if you conquer them! Smile And I think that it was great of you to add all that info along w/ the email. Very helpful!
    Married 7/17/2010 Photobucket PersonalMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    I'm lucky I guess since I only have 3 girls.  I asked each girl to list in order of preference the three styles they would like to have (i.e. strapless, knee-length, etc) and then list in order of dislike the three styles they want to avoid (i.e. halter, mermaid, etc).  Based on that I figured all three would like tea-length, strapless dresses.  I wanted them to have chiffon for the material and the dresses to be flowy and picked out 5 dresses I thought they might like and fortunately, all 3 loved the same dress.  Ironically, the dress has all 3 features that I personally hate because I think it looks hideous on me, but if they love it, then that's the important thing for me.

Like PPs mentioned, I would just be open in case if one or two girls really dislikes the dress.  It's hard to pay over $100 for something that a person really dislikes and feels uncomfortable in.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's ok, but ditto PPs about being flexible. I'm thinking particularly if you have a gal or two who are stick thin or heavy or booblicious as they're bodies really do need a particular style to not only help them feel pretty, but to fit right and not have it fall off or them out of it.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I have 5 BM. I took 2 on my original hunt for their dresses. 1 is blessed with a nice perfect body, the other has more of a average body (she's trying to loose 30 lbs before the wedding, she's lost 60 already, she's doing awesome!).
    They tried on about 15 dresses @ 3 diff boutiques. When we found our 2 favs we ALL went back. All 6 of us. We all agreed on 1 dress, hands down.

I thought it would be more stressful to pick one out. But they are all such awesome ladies & it was very easy! They all gave their opinions, nicely. And each one of them agreed the other fav was too busy at the chest area and would draw attention from my dress.

Also, the dress is $180. So that leads me to a question - one of my BM says she wants to look for it online or in another boutique, for a better price. Trisha, this might be a question you will be asked... I don't know what to tell her.. At first I told her, well see what you can find and get back to me & then we will decide what to do... But then another one of my BM said she didn't mind the price. Does it matter where they get it?
  • edited December 2011

On one hand it is your wedding, on the other hand, people come in all shapes and sizes like the other knotties mentioned before. I selected my 6 BM dresses by myself, I actually called them for their sizes and purchased them from a local store, paying for them helps too if you can. Luckily when they all tried them on, they all loved them and fit into them very well. There are some universal looks that will look good on all body types, you just have to find it. You know your friends and their body types....so I say if you're heart is on one dress and you know they can pull it off, go for it!

• edited December 2011
    Trisha, I'm in the middle of finding a bm dress for 6 girls. I asked all my girls to help find a dress. it has kinda been a pain. i have 2 mohs and one of the mohs and most of the girls like one dress but the other moh despises the dress. i wish i would have just picked a dress at this point. i have a different body so i understand what looks good on one girl doesn't on another.. BUT, there are some that will flatter all body type. 

i think you made the right choice by telling them the dress, you just saved yourself a headache! i am envious.

rock solid- you and your fi are adorable! love your engagement pic! i'm not sure if you are new but WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!
    The dress is an empire waist and a-line so I am hoping it will work well for everyone.
    Here is a picture of the dress:
    http://www.jasminebridal.com/as_change.aspx?sid=B&sqno=2096&color_s=CO&color_n=COCOA (CO)

Sorry I suck at the clicky thing still.
    Please let me know what you think!
  • edited December 2011
    Trisha, those dresses are beautiful. Mine are kinda like that, simple, elegant and truly do look great on pretty much everyone! My 6 bridesmaids are from a size 2 up to an 11. They all fit into the dress very well. My dress has a bit of fabric gathered around the stomach, (it's a pocket dress). So for the gals with a tad bit extra it hides it. I think your dress will do the same.
    Are you using the brown color? I love it if so!!

SARACK, no, I'm not new, I'm just hardly on here, I need to find some vendors in the Seattle area...I'm horrible with posting etc, haven't really tried to figure it out so I just look at other peoples postings in hopes that it answers my questions, lol!!!

Thanks for your kind words.

Amy
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Rock Solid! Yes, I am doing the brown color. Your engagement picture is beautiful!
  • edited December 2011
    Trisha, those are almost identical to the ones my BMs are getting!  I have one who will be TTC, so that shape will work perfect on different sizes I think.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    trisha, that dress is adorable. it should look good on most!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • edited December 2011
    Oooh, I think I have a pic of that dress saved in my potential BM dress file!  Where are you planning on getting it from?  I think that that style is flattering on a multitude of body styles.  I am lucky in that all three of my girls are slender (all of them are skinnier than me, jerks!), but my MOH is really short, so she will probably have to get length taken off of her dress no matter what (which she is already griping about... sigh).  I am pretty certain that I am just going to pick a dress & say order it.  Mainly because of MOH.  I'm thinking about taking one of the other girls to make sure the style looks good on a real person & then just saying "this is it!"
    Oh, and for what it's worth, I think $130 is a very fair price.  The last wedding I was in, I had to pay $230 for a really really ugly knee length dress that no one in the wedding party was even able to try on before ordering.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Jennyann!  I found this at Cynderellies Closet in Edmonds. I agree that it is a dress that can look good on most. If you buy 3 or more it's $130. I also think it is a great deal! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards