Wedding Etiquette Forum

WR Tipping question

I know you aren't supposed to tip business owners as a general rule, but my photog is the owner, but he also has an assistant photog that will be with him all day.  So, how does tipping work in that situation?  Tip just the assistant?  Tip both?  Tip neither?

Sorry, I know this has probably been answered but I couldn't find it and I'm running around like a mad woman today trying to do last minute wedding things. 
Yell

Re: WR Tipping question

• Yes, tip the assistant
  • Should we pull him aside and tip just him?  
  • I would say tip both.
  • Well damnit.  I'm leaning towards both, if only to avoid the awkwardness of tipping just one.
  • I don't know who came up with the concept that you don't tip someone who works for themselves.

If they do a good job, TIP THEM
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-tipping-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eb9ed29b-28fb-4ee8-8d15-d71806afbfc3Post:454cbd11-5a27-48e8-90f6-c5ee0efddb62">Re: WR Tipping question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know who came up with the concept that you don't tip someone who works for themselves. If they do a good job, TIP THEM
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

Because they already get 100% of what they are charging.  If they do a good job, they can charge more at their next wedding.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-tipping-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eb9ed29b-28fb-4ee8-8d15-d71806afbfc3Post:454cbd11-5a27-48e8-90f6-c5ee0efddb62">Re: WR Tipping question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know who came up with the concept that you don't tip someone who works for themselves. If they do a good job, TIP THEM
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way.  It does not mean you have to give the same amount, but yeah, we  tipped our DJ and he owned the businesses.

As far as the photographer we tipped by buying our prints from him instead of using a cheaper option.  It's hard to tip the day of when you have not seen the final product yet. By buying prints from him it says we liked his work.

We did give his assistant something though.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-tipping-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:eb9ed29b-28fb-4ee8-8d15-d71806afbfc3Post:e76040ef-fb88-4fa8-b1f0-9eb04ccb5972">Re: WR Tipping question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR Tipping question : Because they already get 100% of what they are charging.  If they do a good job, they can charge more at their next wedding.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

????

That makes zero sense in this case
  • We tipped the band, the photographer (after getting the finals), the photographer's asst, delivery people, although not 18 - 20% a the other vendors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards