Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Simple non religious beach ceremony. Long enough?

We're only going to have about 15-20 people at a beach ceremony, and it's going to be VERY informal. I've written the ceremony from start to finish, what the officiant will say, and what we'll say. But I don't think it's long enough. I'm just having a hard time figuring out what else to add, and where to add it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Family and friends, you have been invited here today to witness Forever. As you look around you, you can see how important each of you are to *Bride* and *Groom*, for this day isn't for ostentatious show, attended by hundreds of people. You all have been hand picked by Bride and Groom as the most important people in their lives to share in their new beginning. This day is not only for joining two hearts, but also for joining two families.

From the moment that Bride and Groom entered each other's lives, they knew that they would never leave. They knew after a very short time that they had been brought together in the most random of ways to walk through life together forever. Many people would be wary of entering into such a commitment a second time, but it was because of what Bride and Groom had learned from their experiences that they recognized what a true forever really means. Marriage doesn't only require a lifetime of love, but also a lifetime of communication, of commitment to each other's well being, and of growing together. Bride and Groom began working on these things long before they made the commitment to love, and from this, their love blossomed and deepened across the miles. While many long distance relationships falter and fail, theirs grew stronger.

Marriage is a commitment to life--to the best that two people can find and bring out in each other. It offers opportunities for sharing and growth that no other human relationship can equal, a joining that is promised for a lifetime. Within the circle of its love, marriage encompasses all of life's most important relationships. A husband and wife are each other's best friend, confidant, lover, teacher, listener, and critic. There may come times when one partner is heartbroken or ailing, and the love of the other will heal them. Marriage deepens and enriches every facet of life. Happiness is fuller, memories are fresher, commitment is stronger, anger passes more quickly. Marriage understands and forgives the mistakes life is unable to avoid. It encourages and nurtures new life, new experiences, and new ways of expressing love through the seasons of life. When two people pledge to love and care for each other in marriage, they create a spirit unique to themselves, which binds them closer than any spoke or written words. Marriage is a promise, a journey, a potential, made in the jearts of two people who recognize what true love really is, giving someone the power to destroy you, but giving them unwavering trust not to.

And so, family and friends, you have been invited here today to share in the love and joy that Bride and Groom have brought into each other's lives, and to be the foundation on which they begin building their new life together. Their new life is a circle of unending love, just like the rings they give to each other today. Groom's Son, will you please give your ring to your dad?

Bride, do you accept this ring as an undying commitment to share your life with Groom, as a promise to stand behind him when life seems easy and when it seems hard, to love him as equally when it is an effort as when it is simple, and to be faithful and honor your love above all else?

(I do.)

Groom's Daughter, will you please give your ring to Bride?

Groom, do you accept this ring as an undying commitment to share your life with Bride, as a promise to stand behind her when life seems easy and when it seems hard, to love her as equally when it is an effort as when it is simple, and to be faithful and honor your love above all else?

(I do.)

Bride and Groom, you have now joined your lives together with the exchange of these rings. Please take a moment to express what that means to you.

Bride:
Groom, just like the song says, they didn't have you where I come from, and I never knew the best was yet to come. I honestly think that I must have dreamed you into life, because not even God himself could have created someone so perfect for me. You have given me a new reason to smile every single day since I met you, and I will never forget how lucky I felt the first time you told me you loved me. You have been the Technicolor in my world of grays, and given me a love that I never knew existed. I am so excited to spend every day for the rest of my life with you, and see the best that is yet to come.

Groom:
???  (This will be a total surprise to me!)

Bride and Groom, as you walk through life together, always remember what brought you together, and cherish the love that has come from that moment. Remember the overwhelming rush of emotion you felt when you realized that you loved each other and wanted to be together forever. Remember the easy way you communicated over the miles, and know that no matter what comes your way, that love, that emotion, and that communication will be what gets you through the storm. Bride and Groom, it is at this moment that you begin your life together. I hope that it is filled with joy, laughter, and above all else, love. Family and friends, it is with great pleasure that I present to you for the very first time, Mr and Mrs Groom and Bride Last Name. Groom, please give that bride her first kiss!

They didn't have you where I come from...never knew the best was yet to come...

Re: Simple non religious beach ceremony. Long enough?

• BeazillaBeazilla member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it sounds fine. If you feel like you need to fill time you could have someone do a reading of some kind.
  • iloveu4everiloveu4ever member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it is fine.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_vows_simple-non-religious-beach-ceremony-long-enough?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:24Discussion:65ecfc70-3fdb-46ff-9729-ab9fcef0e9a4Post:0ff75415-c52e-4e23-b0e9-320bebb04969">Re: Simple non religious beach ceremony. Long enough?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it sounds fine. If you feel like you need to fill time you could have someone do a reading of some kind.
    Posted by Beazilla[/QUOTE]

Ditto this :)
    kissing

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP: 10/26/11 EDD: 6/28/12

• edited December 2011
    I don't think you need to make it longer, has you ever heard ANYONE complain a wedding ceremony was too short?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_vows_simple-non-religious-beach-ceremony-long-enough?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:24Discussion:65ecfc70-3fdb-46ff-9729-ab9fcef0e9a4Post:5cae11f9-a638-4d9a-bfb5-543eb607f53e">Simple non religious beach ceremony. Long enough?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As you look around you, you can see how important each of you are to *Bride* and *Groom*, f<strong>or this day isn't for ostentatious show, attended by hundreds of people.</strong> You all have been hand picked by Bride and Groom as the most important people in their lives to share in their new beginning.
    Posted by tropical.dreams[/QUOTE]

But the above bothers me. I know it's not your intention, but it sort of comes off a little holier-than-thou. Also, it sounds like you're knocking larger weddings and since it's pretty much guaranteed at least some of your guests had larger weddings, I would modify it.
  • nzchick88nzchick88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bride, do you accept this ring as an undying commitment to share your life with Groom, as a promise to stand behind him when life seems easy and when it seems hard, to love him as equally when it is an effort as when it is simple, and to be faithful and honor your love above all else?

Love this!!
  • edited December 2011
    I like the "I do" parts too. I also agree about the opening line. What you said about being hand-picked sounds nice. I don't see the point in including the part about it not being a show with hundreds of guests; it makes your vows start out with a negative tone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards