South Asian Weddings

Intro

Hi Ladies,

My name is Hina and I just wanted to introduce myself on this board.  Our wedding is set for October 1st, 2011 in Chicago!  I can't wait to hear your ideas and advice in the coming days. 

Re: Intro

• vedikavedika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome & Happy planning! You will find LOTS of great inspiration on this board :)
  • edited December 2011
    welcome!! great group of ladies here to help u out....
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Hina -- welcome to the group.  I just had my wedding in the burbs of Chicago and posted my vendor reviews a few posts down.  Where are you planning on having the wedding?  Let me know if you have any questions as you plan it -- this board and the Chicago Knotties were a great resource as I planned my wedding!

• Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and happy planning!!  This board is definintely a great resource!
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Megha,

Congrats!  Your wedding looks awesome.  We haven't decided if to hold the ceremony in the suburbs or in downtown.  I am leaning towards dowtown for reasons like his side is literally alll OOT and I figured they would have more fun exploring the city.  Also, I want to hold our reception on one of those cruise ships in Navy Pier (he is a sailor and I thought it would be fun for the rest of the guest).  But it is so expensive to do it in downtown.  But I have been looking in Chicago and the burbs for our ideal place.  We can always get limos and buses to show them around.  But there is a lot of time to make decision. 

Congrats to all knotties that have tied the knot!  and Happy planning to the rest of us!

Thanks to all knotties for welcoming me.  Smile
  • edited December 2011
    Those all sound like great ideas!  I REALLY wanted to have the wedding downtown but I compromised with the family and we did it in the burbs, also because most of our guests were OOT.  We wanted to make it easier for them so we had the sangeet, wedding, reception at the same place as they were all staying.  Also we had so much family from OOT who were staying for weeks before and after that it was nice to have it close to my parents' home as well  It worked out for us but I it would have been amazing to have city shots with our wedding attire on.  

Navy Pier would be a great location -- I recently saw a video of an Indian wedding there and it looked beautiful.  I also know of someone who did their Sangeet on a cruise ship on Navy Pier and it worked out really well and guests loved it.  Other options are any of the hotels on Michigan Avenue (Marriott by the Nordstrom, Palmer House HIlton, The Drake) -- I've heard of all of them doing Indian weddings well and gives your guests a chance to stay in the heart of downtown.  I guess it all depends on budget and the style of wedding you are going for!  

Keep us posted as you plan -- I totally miss planning our wedding and now have to live vicariously through all of you! 

• HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  I will be happy to keep you posted. 
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board!  Happy planning!
    ExerciseMilestone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards