Wedding Etiquette Forum

What are you wearing under your wedding gown?

Is there any reason I shouldn't wear a regular strapless bra under my gown? It fits nicely and doesn't show... I considered a longline bra or some type of spanx, but I feel like once my dress is altered it will hold me in just fine. It's a pretty thick fabric. However, I'm not skinny - size 14. Should I look into some type of fat-sucky-inny device?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What are you wearing under your wedding gown?

• I saw "are you wearing your underwear green" and was wondering why it mattered the color of our underwear.
  • My seamstress highly recommended a bustier.  I'm a 38C.  So, I listened to her, went to the store and spent the money.  I have worn it about 4 times.  I plan to wear it with every fricken dresss ever.  The thing cost me enough! 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • So you think it made you look better, Mandy?
  • I love the fat-sucky inny thing!

I wore a long line because it was suggested with my dress. And I couldnt imagine trying to use the bathroom with the dress on let alone spanx, or some of the other things.
    Is yours an A-line? Ball gown? Cause you wont need a fat sucky inny unless its form fitting imo.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm wearing a fat-sucky-inny device for my tummy - more so to flatten it out since my reception dress is VERY form-fitting.

I'm debating wearing a strapless or not - since I'm changing for the reception, I think I could get away going bra-less for the ceremony (and I'm a big girl - 34DD), but I can wear a regular strapped-bra under the reception dress, which would give me more support for dancing ;)

• I have no clue!!  I want something d@mn good though!

142 Ready To Celebrate! image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm wearing a strapless bra and spanx.  I'm also only about a 32-34B.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm either doing stick-ons or a bustier, depends which is more comfortable under the dress, I'ma  34C.
  • I tried on several different options: long line bra, bustier, strapless, no bra at all. For me, no bra at all ended up being my best bet. I think it varies so much, from how form fitting your dress already is, to how the material is.

You could see the bustier boning under my dress, a long line rode up. Strapless felt really unconformtable. So, I had cups sewn in and it was perfect!
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • My dress is an A-line with a dropped waist (that's the best description I can think of). It's very fitted through my hips.
  • You can check out pics in my bio apple, but that sounds like mine, with beading around the waist and an A-line.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • I think it depends on the fit of your dress. mine was a simple A-line but fitted in the hips, and all I wore underneath was spanx higher power shorts to smooth out my poochy bits. I also had cups sewn into the dress so I didn't need to wear a bra. but I'm a size 6 and have tiny boobs compared to some, so that may not work for you.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Mrs_AFMrs_AF member
    First Comment

and that was it. My dress was ridiculously tight though, with a bustier, zipper and buttons, so I really didn't need anything on top. I've heard of MaidenForm being really good, and they have the dress style as apposed to the shorts so you don't have to completely strip down to just go to the bathroom.
  • I would just try your dress on with both and see which you prefer.  Only you can really know if it makes it look and feel better.

I wore spanx, but I had a fitted kind of thin dress, so I needed it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mrs_AFMrs_AF member
    First Comment
    Oh, and if you purchase your bra choices at Kohls, you can return ANYTHING there. I bought a strapless and the maidenform from them, but ended up not needing them. My mom thought I needed them so she ripped off the tags of both and Kohl's still took them back.
  • My dress is my fat sucky inny device. It's not so tight that I'm uncomfortable, but it's a thick lace fabric and when they zipped it up, it was like BAM! YOU NOW HAVE A FLAT TUMMY! Which is why I bought the dress. I think I'm going to end up having cups sewn in. I don't have much in the boob department and I don't wear a bra 50% of the time anyway.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • I'm a bigger girl as well.  I was talking to one of the women at the lingerie store the other day and she said depending on the dress I may not have to wear a bra at all.  The back of my dress is a lace up corset with boning in the front.  If I could wear it without a bra AND have it look just as good or better I would be thrilled.  I hate hate hate strapless bras.  I have never found one that is comfortable or does the job it is supposed to.  I will definitely be wearing spanx or something to keep the jiggly parts all tucked away nicely however :-)
  • I'm 36DD/34DDD and HATE strapless...so I'm wearing a nude bra with convertible straps that I can wear with other dresses and tops before and after the wedding.  No spanx planned, but I bought VS cotton briefs to kinda hold me in a bit.

I tried my dress on again this weekend, though, and if I put on any more weight I'm going to have to break down and buy some spanx.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • I wore a basic strapless bra.  Corset backed dress, and that was sufficient.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • For those with experience with Spanx, did you find it caused any bulging at the edges?  If not, where does it squish everything to?
  • I'm a big girl, so I will be wearing the long-line bra with crinoline and power-panties from spanx.  I love the way I look in the long-line bra.  I am pretty curvy so the long-line bra smooths everything out and is good in support. 
    White Knot Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wearing-under-wedding-gown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7aa4fb65-bc93-4eba-adcf-eab36109db10Post:1756a312-9d5a-4d6f-8916-c600c79bde6b">Re: What are you wearing under your wedding gown?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For those with experience with Spanx, did you find it caused any bulging at the edges?  If not, where does it squish everything to?
    Posted by damaless[/QUOTE]
    I didn't have bulges. well, maybe I might have had some at the top, but the top ended right at the bra line, so I couldn't see them under my dress. maybe it squished the fat in? like into my abdominal space?

• My past experience with Spanx (obviously not under a wedding dress yet, but with prom and formal wear) was that if you're someone who sweats alot from either nerves or heat, that it's not always the best choice.  In the past when I've worn them I've felt just awful in them if it got hot at all. 
  • really? I didn't have any issues with the heat. it was 95 degrees and 95% humidity when we got married, all outdoors. I had sweat rolling down my back and my face. the spanx didn't give me any problems--the dress did though.

• I'm wearing my normal super girl costume under just in case I'm needed...

I'm kidding (kind of)  I'll be wearing a long line.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm getting bra cups sewn in. Extremely comfy and they make my boobs look about a cup size larger.  What more can a girl ask for? 
  • Getting cups sewn in, which made the top of my dress MUCH more flattering (I'm still kicking myself for not taking pics!). I'm boobie-challenged, around a 34B, so it's easy for me to go without a bra. Oh, and I'll probably wear underwear too ;)

One of my bustier friends said that a longline bra was more comfortable and gave her better support, since it supports through the waist and not just at the bust (kind of the difference between wearing a tube top that squeezes at the top to keep it up vs a strapless gown that supports in the waist).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wearing-under-wedding-gown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7aa4fb65-bc93-4eba-adcf-eab36109db10Post:ed905601-b5af-4385-9b8a-a27ab1aa3e99">Re: What are you wearing under your wedding gown?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it depends on the fit of your dress. mine was a simple A-line but fitted in the hips, and all I wore underneath was spanx higher power shorts to smooth out my poochy bits. I also had cups sewn into the dress so I didn't need to wear a bra. but I'm a size 6 and have tiny boobs compared to some, so that may not work for you.
    Posted by pooh8402[/QUOTE]
    <div>I am doing exactly this. Spanx are great because they give you a smooth line and you won't be able to see your belly button through you dress. I'm small as well but still going to wear spanx just for a smooth line. My cups are also being sewn into the dress, but same thing- I have small boobs- 34b :)</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards