Missouri-Kansas City
Options

DJs

Any recommendations on DJs? Do you know how much they charge? I have emailed some and they want $1,200, but that seems pretty pricey to me. But, maybe it is not. I'm not sure. What does everyone think? Thank you for your help!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: DJs

• Options
    prideeinpynkprideeinpynk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using Elite Sounds, and he was DEFINITELY cheap than $1200. I think we're in the $600 area, but I've got to recheck my contract.

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We went with Professional Sound Services (www.dj2k.com) and I think we're in the $600 range as well.  $575 is sticking in my head, but I'd have to double check that.
  • Options
    StephB1185StephB1185 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I get Mission Theater like I want, they include the DJ - but I say 1200 is definitely a little high.  i was considering doing an iPod wedding if not..
    "Diversity is the key to life, without it we would be a mindless drone of a single colored spectrum."
  • Options
    HammysGirlHammysGirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using Complete Music/Video for our wedding. We're going an entertainment package that includes some videography so I think it's a little bit more than that. I'll have to check my contract to be sure but either way I'd defnitely recommend them.

"AJ the DJ" with their company has done several weddings I've attended and Scott is has had good reviews, too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the most expensive DJ we looked at was 200 an hour, so I think 1,200 seems pretty expensive.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My friend used to work weddings at the Marriot, and she recommended Complete Music/Video to us.  We're not using any videography services though.

It's costing us $595 because we got $50 off from the bridal show.  Some of them got really pricey for us because our reception is 5 hours long, and most places start with 4 hours and add on a ton for extra time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree, 1200 seems like a lot.  We are using Debby Z, and for the ceremony(which is outside so that included lapel mic for the officiant and extra speakers) and the reception.  Total time is about 5 hours, and we are in the 750 range.  This was about average for what we needed.
  • Options
    wilburncwilburnc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Premier Midwest.  Danny and Lindsey have been super easy to work with.  We got a bridal fair discount at $495 for 5 hours I think.  Their normal rate is $595.  I would suggest checking them out!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-kansas-city_djs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:82Discussion:62bbc2f4-2295-477a-ac19-be879eb6cecePost:d441b9b7-7e54-4b3d-a958-40e6465759f1">Re: DJs</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're using Complete Music/Video for our wedding. We're going an entertainment package that includes some videography so I think it's a little bit more than that. I'll have to check my contract to be sure but either way I'd defnitely recommend them. "AJ the DJ" with their company has done several weddings I've attended and Scott is has had good reviews, too.
    Posted by HammysGirl[/QUOTE]

We are using AJ from Complete Music and he has done my soon to be BIL's wedding and 2 cousins and we love him!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours is $600. Our DJ is just starting out his wedding DJ business but has been a professional DJ for YEARS. He works strictly off of vinyl (FI is a bit of a music snob) and is a really awesome guy! PM me for his info. :)
  • Options
    AJG456AJG456 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We're using Marc O'Leary and he's definitely on the pricier side, I can't remember the exact price now, but after just one meeting with him we knew it would be worth it.  We definitely trust him with every moment of the night, so its working out.  But, you can find one in almost any price range.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd say that it really depends on what you're wanting out of your DJ.  I know some DJs who charge $1200 and more in the Kansas City area, and brides are thrilled to get them at that price, because they make the evening.  Marc O'Leary is one such example.

If you are just wanting someone to show up and play the music, I'd say that's way too much.  But if you are wanting  the evening coordinated and professionally MC'd, along with cocktail/dinner music and lighting, then expect to pay at the very least $600+ for someone who not only knows, but cares what they are doing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards