Chit Chat

No RSVP Cards?

Hey all...just got engaged a few weeks ago and starting the planning...slowly.  :)
I have a question about sending out "non-fancy" or "non-traditional" invites. I was thinking about sending single sheet invites that direct guests to a website to RSVP to. (obviously with a password so not just any joe can say they are coming) I want to do this to not only save on paper but to save on postage. My fiance and i are super casual and easy going people therefore so will the whole event be too-i would like the invites to reflect that aswell. Combined we have alot of friends so guest list is already quite large. The website can also help out of town guests get hotel info, give directions, introduce our wedding party...etc.
 My second part of the question would be what wedding website has the best features. I have looked at a few but there are just so many choices!
Thanks!! and happy holidays to everyone!

Re: No RSVP Cards?

• if all your guests are computer savvy, go for it!

i would only be concerned with ease of responding.  i personally find it easier to write my name on a card and pop the envelope in the mail as opposed to navigating an entire website then trying to log in.

as someone in the midst of waiting for RSVP cards, it is a PITA to sort out.

if you're concerned about costs, i made a template in word, printed it onto cardstock, and mailed it with the invite as a postcard (the postage is WAY cheaper).  And if you do a simple invite, you won't have to worry about paying extra postage for heavy or odd shaped envelopes.

Have fun with the DIY and good luck! 

Anniversary
  • Can all your guests use a computer? 

Can great-grandmother that you are inviting get online and RSVP?

What about Uncle Dan and Aunt Jane that don't have internet?

Just somethings to think about.

There is about 10% of our wedding guest list that I know doesn't have internet.
  • You could also do seal-and-send invitations *link*.  They are quite simple but still allow for the regular RSVP card in addition to an online RSVP.
  • We didn't use RSVP cards - my mom put her home phone number on the invitations and the answering machine picked up the calls when she wasn't there.

People told us that they were grateful that they didn't have to fill out some multi-question survey about food choices and then remember to mail it back, and they were grateful that they didn't have to get their grandson to "work the computer" to respond.  Everyone knows how to use the telephone, and everyone is grateful when no one answers and they can just leave a short message, hang up, and get on with their own life.
  • We provided both our Wedding Wire website and a phone number.  We had about a 50% response rate, all through the website (no calls at all).  Anecdotal evidence shows that that's about average, so it may not be the best idea for larger guest lists.  For us, 50% was only about 25 individuals, so we were able to track down the rest of the responses with one family dinner and a couple of phone calls.  If you have a guest list of 100 or more, having to track half the guests down kind of negates the benefits of skipping the card.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I'd include a phone number as well, for the people that do not have good internet access. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for all the insight. I think the majority of our guests are computer savvy. If i decide to go with traditional invites with a rsvp card....its is rude to not include a stamp? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_rsvp-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:8614fbae-e798-4ac9-8158-b405da26ed74Post:3b919831-c183-49aa-a93e-841e1d4e3427">Re: No RSVP Cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the insight. I think the majority of our guests are computer savvy. If i decide to go with traditional invites with a rsvp card....its is rude to not include a stamp? 
    Posted by tiabuns[/QUOTE]
    Yes.  People likely won't even notice the lack of a stamp, and because RSVPs usually don't have return addresses, you'll never see them again.  If you're looking to cut your budget, this is not the place to do it.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I did this for my invites, I provided a link to my website that I made on theknot and also my phone number for those that are computer savvy. So far the response had been ok. My guest list is pretty small, 86 people, and about 26 have RSVP'd so far. The deadline is in about 2 weeks. I haven't had any one call, all have used the link. I think its a great option these days to save paper and make things less complicated for your guests. Although I have had to tell a few people NOT to send back the card with the RSVP info on it because apparently they didn't really read it and thought it was a response card to mail back. I will probably have to call some people next month who don't RSVP but I think no matter how you do it there will always be people who don't.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm just putting my cell number on the invite. I already have to get a new one cause I'll be chainging to FI's provider after we get married. And this way I don't have to watch the mail box.
    ...... Wedding Countdown Ticker ...... 135 Have an invitation image 0 Can't wait to come image 0 Say its too far to travel image 135 Need to contact me ASAP RSVP June 3rd.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards