Michigan-Grand Rapids

Dollar Dance

I was wondering what every ones thoughts were on the Dollar Dance. I personally don't care for them because the wedding guest already paid for a gift, new outfit, a hotel, and gas money and I feel like they would not appreciate it.

Re: Dollar Dance

• I like it because then you get to spend a few minutes with guests you otherwise might not have a private moment with or who might not have gotten out on the dance floor otherwise.  The most recent weddings I've been to have given out a candy bar or shot when the guest pays their dollar.
  • I personally cannot STAND the dollar dance.  Absolutely hate it.  To me, the whole point of hosting a reception is to, well, be a host.  That means your guests shouldn't be opening up their wallets that night for anything, and they definitely shouldn't be paying for the "privelege" of getting to talk to me one on one or dance with me.  Asking for money from your guests is the epitome of rude to me.
  • babe915babe915 member
    First Comment
    I've always been to a wedding that had one and I think they are fine, I never participate though because I usually go with my family and hardly know the couple. I dont like how a guest has to pay for a dance though but if they are willing to then sure go ahead. But I personally would dance with them for free. My parents and my FI parents both keep asking is we are having one, I guess most of our guests are expecting one :s
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tacky, Tacky, TACKY
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_dollar-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:95Discussion:173c8bf8-2a21-4301-8fb8-d4b373bd3871Post:fa079eea-b6b2-4018-a733-328606a4a372">Re: Dollar Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]tacky, Tacky, TACKY
    Posted by jlvsmom[/QUOTE]

For those who are of Polish or Italian descent, this is a common practice at weddings.
  • This is a tricky question because people feel strongly about it whether they agree or disagree. If you are deciding for your own wedding, you should make the choice based on how you feel. If you think its tacky, skip it. If you still want to have a set time to dance with your guests then come up with a time frame where you can do this without your guests paying. All of the weddings I have been to in this area have the dollar dance, and although I have never participated, I have also not thought it was tacky. I know a lot of people are planning on one for my own wedding so I will be doing this. 

Maybe an alternative could be a dollar dance and you can donate the money to a cause that is close to you and your fiance?

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • TheWopTheWop member
    First Comment

Tackiest thing done at weddings now a days.  It's an awful way to nickle and dime your guests.  Getting married isn't a gift or money grab.  I was at a wedding last year and there was a dollar dance that went on for 40 long minutes.  After that the reception pretty much died.  Terrible. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards