Not Engaged Yet
Options

Surprises

Does anyone else not like surprises or is it just me?

Re: Surprises

• Options
    edited February 2012
    My birthday is Sunday and my SO has made reservations for us to stay at a nice hotel, have dinner at one of the restaurants there, and then go to the bar and night club that are there. But a few days ago while I worked my night shift, the next morning my daughter spilled the beans that they had gone to the store where I had picked out what ring I wanted since he told me to go pick one out a little over a month ago. Of course he got a bit upset but claims he didn't buy anything and was just looking at the ring. (Yeah right). Then a day or so ago I entered the living room and he turns the computer so I can't see the screen which I saw a glance at what looked to be his bank account online and then he went on to say that I could no longer look and check things in his account otherwise he would change his password. And he's been acting so obvious but obvious/sneaky knowing that it's going to drive me nuts. UGH. Surprises and me don't go together. Just don't make any indications at all and I'll be fine, but letting me know SOMEHOW that something is up, drives me insane with possibilities.
  • Options
    I hate surprises too. Actually I more hate knowning something is happening and not knowing what/when it's going to happen... That's why I hate my birthday and Christmas and stuff. I like getting presents I just hate not knowing what I'm getting.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I don't even like getting presents. They make me feel really awkward because I don't know how I'm supposed to react.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_surprises-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:fb2cadfd-e280-415a-9358-561787d9987ePost:ca0291ae-a460-4113-aedf-4a6783076d27">Re: Surprises</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate surprises too. Actually I more hate knowning something is happening and not knowing what/when it's going to happen... That's why I hate my birthday and Christmas and stuff. I like getting presents I just hate not knowing what I'm getting.
    Posted by tdwpg1984[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_surprises-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:fb2cadfd-e280-415a-9358-561787d9987ePost:d1862b68-3a58-4600-ad09-0e1eca908311">Re: Surprises</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't even like getting presents. They make me feel really awkward because I don't know how I'm supposed to react.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

This is me 100%
  • Options
    I love them.
  • Options
    I too hate surprises and hate being the center of attention-EVER.  Having said that, my BF loves surprises and was the class clown and I knew that when we started dating and clearly understand what I am getting myself into.  Having said that, he too is being way obvious about the big proposal coming.  We don't live together but I've seen his mothers engagement ring laying around his house, very out in the open and on our last vacation we "just stopped into a jewerly store" while out one night.  He's working a lot of overtime and he randomly puts one of my rings on his fingers to see where it fits best.   He knows I hate surprises but I think he's getting excited about this one and putting a lot of thought into the ring and the proposal and I know he's going to be nervous.  For my part I'm going to do my best to stop snooping and try to enjoy the moment, that'll be my gift to him.  Relationships and marriage are about comprimise and sometimes we do stuff to make our BF's or FI's happy that we wouldn't normally do.  Enjoy the day, you'll only have this proposal and this memory one time in your life.
  • Options
    I like them, but only if they're small. 

FI proposing was a surprise though, and I loved that. It was fun that way :) I'd have been going nuts if he'd been hinting in any way though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    I guess it depends on the surprise. do I want to be kind of surprised when bf proposes? Absolutely. I also really like being a part of surprises. My best friend's husband asked me to help plan her surprise 30th birthday party last nov. It was really cool to see how much effort he was putting into it and really sweet of him to plan so much for her. They have a really sweet relationship and it was good to see him do that (he also planned a really sweet, private proposal for her. only her mom knew!) Saying that, surprise parties for me are not my style. But surprises in general are okay with me. Not all surprises are public fiascos!
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2012
    I think I would like surprises if I was ever able to be surprised.  I just have this sense and suspect things.  Also, FI isn't nearly sneaky enough to surprise me.

ETA:  I never let him know, though, and always act surprised for his benefit.  :)
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    I love surprises. BF doesn't.

Funny, because I still try to surprise him anyway. He always guesses exactly what's up beforehand though. He cannot be surprised. I blame the Army.

• Options
    I love surprises, but I don't like being made the center of attention with them. For example, FI knew that I wouldn't want him proposing in public because I don't like people staring at me.

A lot of people I know (not saying you ladies) hate surprises because they want to know everything that's happening so they still feel they have control over everything. I would hate to be like that, feeling like I have to be informed of every little thing so that when it happens, I'll already have a plan for how I'm going to respond.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    So it ended up after surprising me with birthday surprises, he proposed. :)
  • Options
    Congrats!
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    Best birthday by far.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards