Getting in Shape

Cabbage Soup Diet?

I'd heard about this diet from a friend and decided to do some research on it. This diet is supposed to be a fasting type of diet that you do for 7 days and will help you shed up to 10 lbs in that week. I want to do a cleansing diet, especially after all the wrong foods I ate during Thanksgiving. Embarassed

Has anyone tried this diet? What's your opinion of it?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Re: Cabbage Soup Diet?

• Yeah I did  a long time ago. You basically spend 75% of your time on the toilet, 100% of your time miserable as hell. You will be painfully gassy the 25% of the time you arent parked on the toilet too. Once you finish the diet, if you dont continue not eating anything the weight goes back on.

Your body doesnt need a cleanse, your body knows what to do with itself and cleanses are completely unnecessary. Do yourself a huge favour and just eat clean (very little processed foods, lots of fruits and vegetables mixed with lean protein) for the next little while and try to get some excersize in.
  • I have done it a few times over the years. My experience wasn't as bad as Nebbs experience. I did go to the bathroom a lot but mainly because I drank A LOT of water to maximize the benefits of flushing my system.

For me it was to give myself a jumpstart to feel encouraged to stay on my new diet. It worked for me because I lost 8 lbs and granted I lost only 1 lb  the first week of my diet following that but I was still encouraged that I had momentum. I stayed on that diet and did well for a few years until I broke my foot, got bored and my activity level dropped. When I am bored I eat.

I did get headaches from going cold turkey on cafeine tho, but that stopped after 2 miserable days. The second time I drank green tea so I didn't have that problem.

• UUgh you cant go on this diet for long term, it is not nutritionally stable. Please dont do it. Quick fixes ARE NOT supported on this board. Take that however you want.
  • I have to agree with Nebb. Physiologically speaking, there is no reason why you need to "clean" your body or "jumpstart" a diet. That's how you screw up your metabolism.

The best way to do it is to just start eating clean and working out. It sounds so simple, but people chose not to do it because (bluntly) they're lazy.

It took work to put on the weight, it's gonna take work to take off the weight. Unfortunately, it's a lot easier (and a lot more fun) to put on the weight than it is to take it off Tongue out
  • Ugh. I agree with Nebb and kiki. There are no good scientific data that support cleanses.  Start eating better and eating fewer calories, and you'll lose the weight.  And your body will naturally become more balanced the longer you eat healthfully.
  • It will help you shead some weight, absolutly. But any diet that extreme will. And like Nebb said, you can't do this diet forever and when you stop the weight will pile back on. Instead restrict your calories in a sensible way (try sparkpeople or the dailyplate to get an ideal daily calorie allowance and a place to track your calories) and get moving a couple of times a week. Its about changing your life, not just a week or a fortnight
  • Yeah, try staying on this diet for the rest of your life. Bet your surroundings will love you after a while...
  • I love the detox of a good cleanse but this diet gave me horrible gas pains.  If you want a good cleansing diet the Hollywood Diet is great! 
  • I think I lost about 7 lbs but I only made it to day 5 b/c I was so sick of that soup. I gained back the 7 lbs too. I tried it again a couple of months ago and could only do it for 1 day since I spent the whole day in the bathroom...I would just try changing your lifestyle.
  • I farted just reading that post.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards