Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

No one is getting my engagement party invites!

I sent out my engagement party invites about a week ago... One of my BMs got it, but my other didn't. My two sisters haven't gotten it - but that may be because they both live in houses that were converted into apartments and didn't tell me that - and one of my step sisters didn't get it. I know I wrote the correct address for my step sister and BM though. 

The party is on the 21st, everyone is supposed to RSVP by phone by the 1st. I am afraid that no one else is gonna get the invite and I won't have a chance to make any calls until school is over on MAY 3rd.. Which is that late of notice, but the party is (1) a pot luck and I'm not only gonna feel somewhat more awkward asking them to bring a dish over the phone, but feel bad that I'm only giving them two weeks notice to come up with something (which around here means come up with the money for something), and (2) around two different birthdays so they may plan one or both of the parties on that Saturday before I get a chance to call.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with/fix this?

I am also wondering if anyone has any ideas of things I could do to prevent this from happening with my wedding invites...

Thanks

Re: No one is getting my engagement party invites!

• MrsDydekMrsDydek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_one-getting-engagement-party-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:c4a5b666-2995-4f33-907b-af2f4af18898Post:35a954eb-fa06-456a-aae9-7fd4268f0c62">Re: No one is getting my engagement party invites!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to No one is getting my engagement party invites! : I would wait another week before calling anyone, but I have to ask: Why did you make it potluck? And why did you send out your own invitations?  Did you plan your own engagement party?
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]
     Yeah we did. Most of the guest at the wedding, for various reasons, will be my family so I wanted to have it so that my FI can meet some of them before the wedding. No one in our family has a lot of money.. actually no one has any money (we are also paying for our wedding ourselves). So no one offered to have one for us. But, for the above stated reason, I decided to plan a super super casual engagement party myself.
  • LilyWater09LilyWater09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about e-vites?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not everyone has a computer/ email/ facebook, I did think about that.. but even if I did that for just the people that do have facebook and just call the rest, i'm still worried about my wedding invites, what if this happens to them?? What can I do to make sure it won't? and does anyone have any idea as to why this might have happened in the first place?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_one-getting-engagement-party-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:c4a5b666-2995-4f33-907b-af2f4af18898Post:4cf6097a-18a8-4e70-b70d-4e6040608e27">Re: No one is getting my engagement party invites!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did you put your return address on them? They should bounce back if you did.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

<div>We did and haven't gotten anything back either which is equal bizarre.. I'm wondering if some one at the post office lost them or something... That would be terrible...</div>
  • edited December 2011
    When did you send them and where are they going? If not just across town, sometimes it takes more than a few business days. And, were they postcards or regular mail? The postcard rate just went up (as I found out after buying a bunch of stamps - thank goodness for 1 cent stamps). Still, you'll get them back eventually if they don't go to where they're supposed to go. Good luck. Phone calls work just as well and I don't think people mind potlucks. They can bring whatever they want, it doesn't take that much effort to plan on their part, and it's cheaper than going out to a restaurant! 
    Married since May 12, 2012
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_one-getting-engagement-party-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:c4a5b666-2995-4f33-907b-af2f4af18898Post:e51b45fc-ccbd-4061-9c59-3390153c4ede">Re: No one is getting my engagement party invites!</a>:
    [QUOTE]When did you send them? And, were they postcards or regular mail? The postcard rate just went up (as I found out after buying a bunch of stamps - thank goodness for 1 cent stamps). Still, you'll get them back eventually if they don't go to where they're supposed to go.
    Posted by Flowerstar1023[/QUOTE]
    We sent them last thursday (the 14th) and my FI took them to the post office to mail them so we would be certian that they had enough postage...
  • carcrashheartcarcrashheart member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

Engagement parties are not required, or super common. So that would explain why nobody "offered to throw one" for you guys.

There isn't really anything that you can do to prevent this from happening with your wedding invites. Unless you used incorrect addresses, it seems to just be a delay in delivery. I would think that the increase in postage rates and the holiday aided in slowing things up.

When it does come time for wedding invites just be sure to confirm addresses with your guests so that hopefully cuts down on the problems.

Are you going to be planning and throwing your own bridal shower and bachelorette party, as well?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards