Wedding Etiquette Forum

*knocks on the door of E* Anyone home?

Hi, ladies! Though a combination of no wireless at the place we're staying and my Blackberry deciding I can't reply to posts on here anymore, I haven't really been here at all! I miss you all and wanted to poke in to say hello. For the two of you who care, here's what's been going on....

-I got a job! It's hourly and doesn't have benefits, but it's in my field, and it's something to pay the bills for a little while! FI is still jobless, but he's going to start applying for random stuff once we get back from the honeymoon.
-We're nixing most of our honeymoon because of $$$, but we're keeping one night at each of the two places we'd planned on, since we already paid a deposit. We'll take a full one later!
-We found a bomb-ass apartment in the area that I'd always dreamed of living in. It's affordable (for San Francisco, anyway) and I LURVE it.

More than enough about me. How the heck are you? Anyone out there? :)

Re: *knocks on the door of E* Anyone home?

• Hey Pol Pol!!!!

What kind of job didja get?! Are you loving it out west?
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Aw, I missed you and your cute little face! 

Congrats on the job, something is better than nothing and experience looks great on the resume! Good luck to your FI!
    image Married and Junk.
  • Howdy!

I lost internet right when you were deciding btwn NY and SF.  I see SF won.

Not much going on here, just rummaging through moving boxes looking for my pillow.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi!  Welcome to the Bay Area!  I'm sure you were laughing at our "heat wave" on Tuesday, huh?
  • I is out here Poli! Congrats on the jobalobadingdong. It can be a PITA trying to find something in your field. YAYYY!

I'm just waiting for my sleeping pill to kick in... so I can pass out, wake up and work a double tomorrow! :-)
    I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• Heya, Fishy! :) Long time no see! I'm a relief counselor at the residential treatment facility that I had an interview at... They have 10 different locations around the city, and the place that we found is sort of in the middle of all of them, so I only need to be on a bus for 20 minutes to get to just about any of them. I do NOT have any desire to learn to drive stick here! The people there seem awesome, so I'm looking forward to it. They also made it clear that if I find another full-time job, I can stay on this one and just work whenever I want, even if it's 3 hours a week. I can dig it!

And we LOVE it here! It's corny (and when am I not?), but it feels like our personalities just go so well with this city. I'm so glad we decided to take the plunge, even though things will be tight for a while.

How've you been doing, lady?
  • *waves to everyone else* Hiya! And mica, I was surprised at how warm it was! I mean, it wasn't the gross Midwest humid heat, but it was awful in Berkeley. I guess I've become a wuss already :)
  • i'm good! Doing my thing. My BFF gets married Oct. 9th, so I've been busy with that. Between that and neglecting my husband, my plate is pretty full!!

Oh Poli, love. You'd HATE the new call out site. IIIIIIIII hate it, and you're way more sensitive than I am.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I love San Francisco, you're going to love it too!!!

And I agree, driving a stick around the city is awful. But the public transportation in the city isn't bad at all (quite good for a west coast city).
  • polichikpolichik member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    I was just about to ask about that, Fish... Would you mind linking me? I feel like I'm going to assume the worst until I see it :P

ETA: And congrats to your BFF! That's awesome!
  • DONT SAY I DIDNT WARN YOU.

http://kpscallout.tumblr.com/

The Margarita Evolution
  • Don't worry, poli, the weather gets better.  September will be lovely and October better.  Tuesday was probably the hottest day of the year.

I just installed my Porch Potty on my patio for my dog.  I just moved to Foster City so that our first home together will be in between my work (Palo Alto) and FI's work (east bay).  http://www.porchpotty.com/Dog_Potties_s/91.htm

Too much information?  Probably.
  • POLI!!! Oh hai. :) Very happy to hear of your good news. I'm psyched for you that you've got the job and the apartment. Those are definitely two of the most important things to have in place right after moving! You must post pics of the new digs soon. Have you started your new job yet? I see you're doing residential tx... me too! Well, some days when I'm not at the outpatient clinic. So we must talk shop soon. :)

And I wish there was a way to shield you from that callout site. I just feel like it will make you very sad. :( It makes me sad too.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • RESIDENTIAL TREATMENT IN DA HEEZY!!!

My outpatient stuff has been super busy lately. That's the one good thing about school starting.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Fish, is that the one where you might have had to wear a swampy green BM dress? 
    image Married and Junk.
  • Woot!

I can imagine, Fish. I bet your late afternoons and evenings are quite full! I like to see the mothers of kids who get treatment with us, because when they both have appointments during the same hour, it's twice less likely that the mom will no-show. ;)

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • mica, I'm excited for the fall weater. I haven't lived here since I was little, but I loved it. It's just so beautiful.

And Fish, you did warn me. It does make me sad. I kept being scared that somebody would call me out, but unless I'm dense, I havent' seen any. Then again, I've been scarce. I'm sure somebody will blast my dress or wedding after I post stuff. Oh,well! I'm hoping people will realize how sad it is and stop sending stuff.

Hiya, Beatles!! Hugs to you :) We really must chat soon... I'd love to hear about how your work has been going. I start on the 13th or 20th, not sure yet, but I'll definitely let you know how it goes! I also have applications in for a trauma-focused private practice (fingers crossed!) and a wraparound social worker position. We'll see how it goes.... How's your work been lately?
  • Beatles. That's so funny. I know exactly what you mean. :)

And YES, leah, only she settled on DB Truffle. It's not so bad.

The Margarita Evolution
  • *waves* congrats on the job!
  • Dang.. I was kind of excited to see a Swamp Thang wedding. 
    image Married and Junk.
  • OOOO OOOO, Poli, have you done TFCBT stuff? I'm super into it right now and I love it.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Thanks, Belle! How've you been doing? :)

Warning: the following contains about 75 therapy-related acronyms... Fishy, I'm trying to figure out what that means (got the CBT part, anyway!). I think I'm going to have to learn much more CBT for my first few jobs, but I greatly prefer attachment theory (EFT for couples, object relations for all modalities) and Richard Schwartz's IFS model. Those don't work as well for clients with functioning challenges, so I think I'll be able to use those more when I do private practice (someday, anyway!). I'm digging the psychodynamic stuff, but I think I'll be living in a largely behavioral and CBT world for a while. I think I'll be able to do some DBT though, which ties in well with my desire to work with adult survivors of childhood trauma.
  • Poli, that's really exciting about the trauma-focused pp! For some reason, you strike me as just the right type of person for that kind of work, because you're so gentle, sensitive and accessible. Oh, and thuper thmart. :) Work has been going well for me. I'm up to 30+ cases and counting! I work at the residential tx family shelter and in the outpatient clinic. It's great to be back. What kind of residential work will you be doing?

Nice, Fish! :) I like sneaky tricks like that. It's better for everyone.

• I"m pretty good :D Feelin you on the job/jobless pain :D
  • Howdy Poli! 

OK - I'm off to bed.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • TFCBT -- Trauma focused cognitive behavioral therapy.

LOTS of good stuff coming out right now in that field. Very smart, and effective, and just all around good stuff. SPARCS groups and the like. I'm so super into it right now. GAH. I get excited talking about this stuff.

Can't I just make obscene jokes and be stupid?

The Margarita Evolution
  • polichikpolichik member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_knocks-door-of-e-anyone-home?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4b28600d-fda4-4f37-876c-67a8522bf246Post:e3496237-b88a-4d5e-b464-f52089c20bb5">Re: *knocks on the door of E* Anyone home?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Poli, that's really exciting about the trauma-focused pp! For some reason, you strike me as just the right type of person for that kind of work, because you're so gentle, sensitive and accessible. Oh, and thuper thmart. :) Work has been going well for me. <strong>I'm up to 30+ cases and counting!</strong> I work at the residential tx family shelter and in the outpatient clinic. It's great to be back. What kind of residential work will you be doing? Nice, Fish! :) I like sneaky tricks like that. It's better for everyone.
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]

Holy cow, woman!! You must be onen busy lady. You have very lucky clients :)

Thanks so much for your vote of confidence! Long-term, I'd like to have a sliding scale private practice for adult survivors of incest and their partners. I'd like to do psychoeducational and process groups, too, as well as workshops and community events. I'll need to get established first, but that's my dream :)

Fish, that sounds awesome!! I haven't really liked CBT, but that sounds much more up my alley. I must get on it. Any books you'd recommend? :)
  • Wow, I'm jealous that you have such a clear vision of what you want, Poli! It sounds like wonderful and rewarding work. I know you'll get there, and you've already started networking before you even moved out there, right? That's awesome. And I don't think there's such a thing as enough education or awareness about trauma.

Also, that TFCBT stuff sounds really cool.

• hai poli! congrats on the apartment and the job. nothing much new here, other than our trip to colorado a few weeks ago.
  • Heya, Jill! If you're still around, how was the trip? :)

I think being on here kinda reminded me that we're about to get married and all. We haven't done anything for it in the past two weeks because of the move, but I couldn't fall asleep until 4 AM, thinking of all the stuff we have to do and forgot to order. Ugh :P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards