• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
April 2011 Weddings

Procrastinate much? Phobias.

Or is it avoidance?  Same thing?  Either way - random post ahead...

What are you afraid of? 

Here's my list (I'm a wuss):

Spiders
Flying
Driving behind those double decker semi-trailers hauling cars.
My house catching on fire
Jon Voight (dude seriously creeps me out)

Re: Procrastinate much? Phobias.

• needles (it's really rediculous...I skip the flu shot every year and sob when the doctor takes my blood)

narrow roads

the ocean

roaches

Voight is one creeeeeeeepy mofo.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • elevators (I would hate to get stuck in one)
    the ocean
    flying
    roaches
    mice
    Anniversary
  • SEWFSEWF member
    1000 Comments Combo Breaker
    Heights and flying, so it's more a fear of falling/being crushed.

Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Most bugs give me the creeps but ANTS are the worst.

Needles

Elevators

Heights - but not flying so much, I like to fly, I would like to be a bug that flies.

OH, and Jon Voight is a creepy dude.  

Daddy and his little girl getting their grove on! image Anniversary Vacation
  • I am like a mix/match of your lists:

Spiders

Elevators (got stuck in one on an 8th grade trip to Washington DC)

Escalators (saw a little boy get his shoelace stuck in one when I was little scared me for life)

home catching on fire when no one is home to get the pups out.

Not being able to have babies.

oh and is it bad that I had to google Jon Voight? lol
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Heights don't bother me at all so I'm guessing the fear of flying is more of a control thing... 

No fear of small enclosed spaces but I'm sure RMBM that had I been stuck in an elevator, that wouldn't be the case. 

I think mice are cute and snakes don't bug me at all but put a frog near me and I'll scream like a little girl. 

To those afraid of needles, is it a blood thing or is it a pain thing?  I used to donate blood regularly and though I couldn't watch, it didn't really bug me. 
  • For me, the fear of needles is twofold. The pain, obviously. But for some reason I've always been afraid that one will break off in my body and that makes me want to scream!

The irony: DH is diabetic and has to take 5 or more shots of insulin per day. My eyes have gotten more used to needles, but I still hate them with a firey passion.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ooh, Girlie - I bet you understand this - I HATE scorpions. Three encounters with them within the two months I lived in Phoenix kind of did that to me. One of them was in the shower. No thanks.

My biggest fear like RMBM, is that I can't have babies.

And, I've always been afraid of my house catching on fire, my sisters making me watch Backdraft when I was little did that to me.
    image ~*~Rowyn at 5 months!~*~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary PersonalMilestone
  • Girlie1030Girlie1030 member
    2500 Comments 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited May 2011
    Don't even get me started on scorpions...  But if you want to be seriously freaked out, Google an image for a Palo Verde Beetle.  I came across one of these a few years ago and you could literally hear it as it ran across my patio.  I'm pretty sure my neighbors must have thought someone was being murdered in my house because of the screams I let out. 

I'll confess, I am a bit nervous about the baby thing as well...  I had an "incident" (long yucky story that I won't put out on the web) when I was younger and since then, I've wondered if I could get pregnant or not.  Finding out for sure wasn't really an issue until I met Ironman - looks like he & I have something to talk about. 
    ETA: Ironman have already discussed kids, but we should probably discuss medical check ups soon. 
  • Here's my list

Biggest fear is winter driving, I'm so sure one of these days we are going to skid off the interstate crash and die! I had to take a sedative to handle riding with my husband last winter.

I also don't lke heights, spiders, and roller coasters.

Anniversary
  • In Response to Re: Procrastinate much? Phobias.:
    [QUOTE]Most bugs give me the creeps but ANTS are the worst. Needles Elevators Heights - but not flying so much, I like to fly, I would like to be a bug that flies.   OH, and Jon Voight is a creepy dude.  
    Posted by lzmac[/QUOTE]

Yes, ANTS are nasty and I fear they are going to eat me alive
    Other fears are:
    Waterbugs (the big flying roaches) iickkk I shudder thinking about them...
    non-moving elevators
    the "pop" that the cans of biscuits, cinnamon rolls, cresent (spelling?) rolls etc makes.  It makes me feel like it's going to blow one of my fingers off

funny_zpsd60c785f

SAVE TIME AND MONEY WITH E-MEALZ MEAL PLANS

"...And he just came out of my imaginary birthday cake." -its apelila

[QUOTE]Don't even get me started on scorpions...  But if you want to be seriously freaked out, Google an image for a Palo Verde Beetle.  I came across one of these a few years ago and you could literally hear it as it ran across my patio.  I'm pretty sure my neighbors must have thought someone was being murdered in my house because of the screams I let out.
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]

GROSS. *shudder*
    image ~*~Rowyn at 5 months!~*~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary PersonalMilestone
    [QUOTE]For me, the fear of needles is twofold. The pain, obviously. But for some reason I've always been afraid that one will break off in my body and that makes me want to scream! The irony: DH is diabetic and has to take 5 or more shots of insulin per day. My eyes have gotten more used to needles, but I still hate them with a firey passion.
    Posted by corkietn[/QUOTE]

Needles will absolutely not break off in your body! I see so many people scared of them, I feel bad.  Of course who really does like needles? I have to tell you though I love love poking people!
    Anniversary
    [QUOTE]needles (it's really rediculous...I skip the flu shot every year and sob when the doctor takes my blood) Posted by corkietn[/QUOTE]

DITTO.  I have panic attacs for DAYS before doctors appts.  It's really not fun.

Other random phobias:

Things that jump (this includes everything from bugs to dogs to people - but I'm only afraid of them if they are jumping!  Otherwise I LOVE dogs, and most people are okay too )

Flying.  More specifically, crashing.  I actually love being above the clouds and flying, but takeoff and landing make me hyperventilate unless I have a window seat (it's a control thing - being able to see what's going on makes me feel like I am more in control).

Falling from heights.  I don't mind being up high if there is solid ground to stand on and/or a sturdy railing that I can't fall through, but I get really nervous and won't go near the edge with no railing.

Anything with a stinger - bees, wasps, hornets, etc.

Probably about a bajillion more - I'm such a wuss, lol.  It's kind of nice to know other people are scared too though!  You girls are awesome
    Anniversary
  • Phobias:

-getting pregnant right now
    -dying a painful death
    -i agree with driving being those semis. a friend of mine's mom died because she was driving behind a logging truck (kind of far behind) and well...fill in the blank.
    -clowns
    -and this may sound weird...but at a theatre, church, etc. i have a phobia of sitting UNDER the balcony.....i can sit on it or WAY in front of it, but not under
  • snakes.

failure

not being liked/not having friends/being lonely 

there isn't much concrete stuff that bugs me - more the emotional stuff.  I was bullied a bit in middle school (bad hair, huge glasses, big dork with straight a's - not that that is any excuse for what they did) and when you are the one with no friends then, I think it carries over a lot.  
  • Needles dont bother me...Im a dental assistant so I put the syringes together and watch the doctor inject like 10 times a day.

MY FEARS:
    Tornadoes.  Like Deathly afraid of them....we dont have a basement so anytime I hear a crack of thunder (and believe me I hear every one) I am up watching the weather channel until I know it will pass. and if there are warnings, I am at the inlaws house down the road!

Weeds.  I hate weeds in lakes. I can look at them while in a boat or on land, but put me in water near one and I will never speak to you again.  Went tubing at my cabin when I was 15 and my dad flipped me off in the one weedy spot on the entire lake, I didnt talk to him the rest of vacation and have never been on a tube ever since!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know, Suzanne, my fear is pretty irrational...but for some reason I can't get it out of my head!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • gundy21gundy21 member
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary
    Mine...
    - shots (fainted getting one)
    - anything too close to my face.  Learned this while going thru HAZWOPER training when I had to suit up with a supplied air tank and full hazmat suit - I freaked out.  Don't think I will ever go SCUBA diving. 
    - I was SO paranoid when I bought my house that it would be haunted.  It was built in 1916.  No issues in the nearly 8 years I have been there!  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • blaharnblaharn member
    100 Comments
    I have some that others also have:
    -snakes, spiders, big ugly bugs
    -failure
    -clowns
    -driving in the snow and/or near big trucks
    -flying (but only take off and touch down or if there is turbulence)

Also:
    -falling on my face and knocking out my teeth
    -horses (I know some of you have horses and ride them, and I think they are amazing and beautiful animals, but they are so big and powerful that they scare me!)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I havea phobia of lizards...
    THEY CREEP ME THE EFF OUT.
    Katie, I think you posted on FB the pic of one on the screen in Ft Lauderdale???
    Gave me creeps and I literally had to squint to look at it... like that would make it smaller or somthing!  

Others:
    -driving behind those car-hauling trailers, like Girlie
    -passing or being passed by semi's.  They always make me kinda dizzy and I feel like I'm swerving into it.  :-/
    -drawing blood from people.

As for needles, I have no problem with them.  I work in a hospital lab, and I will be the first one to volunteer my veins for the new phlebotomists, but DO NOT ASK ME TO DRAW SOMEBODY!  I do not know why, but when I had to learn to draw I would hyperventilate and cry and shake uncontrollably... it's better if YOU draw ME!  
    Photobucket
    12/25
    Anniversary
  • Sorry Apelila!!! I thought he was cute :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh no worries!!
    I am well aware of how irrational it is! 
    Photobucket
    12/25
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards