Just Engaged and Proposals

Paying for Wedding

Hello!  I am 2 weeks away from my wedding and we are having problems with making ends meet.  The food bill is 1300 and the photography is 1700 with a grand total of 3000 that we are short.  My mother is from a single parent family and can't afford to give us any money and we don't want to have my fiance's parents to give us all of their money.  So....what have people done?  Loans?  Credit cards?  Anything advice would be helpful!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Paying for Wedding

• I would charge it, and pay it off with money you make from the wedding.

Hopefully you will get enough to pay it back and enjoy some of it for other things.
    I think that is probably the only option.
    You could apply for a 0% financing one too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I normally wouldn't advise charging wedding items but in this case it's probably your only option.  With only 2 weeks left you can't change plans or uninvite guests.  Good luck.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_paying-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:cb198762-0bae-4869-a37c-1086d31554c4Post:26662fac-9598-4141-9e53-9f1e3fd96a3f">Paying for Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello!  I am 2 weeks away from my wedding and we are having problems with making ends meet.  The food bill is 1300 and the photography is 1700 with a grand total of 3000 that we are short.  My mother is from a single parent family and can't afford to give us any money and we don't want to have my fiance's parents to give us all of their money.  So....<strong>what have people done?</strong>  Loans?  Credit cards?  Anything advice would be helpful!
    Posted by mrsweber11[/QUOTE]

<div>FI and I planned a wedding that we could afford.  Good luck.</div>
    I'm not good at feelings.

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2011
    How did you overprice yourselves?  Did you not have all the money upfront when planning?  

I agree with others and you should charge the remaining balance.  Just make sure you pay it off ASAP.  

Good luck.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would look into loand and credits cards at this point.  Hopefully you guys have good credit and won't have to pay a ton of interest.

I find it pretty irresponsible that you're two weeks away and suddently realize you need to come up with $3000.  Are you taking a honeymoon?  Would it be feasible to cancel, lose your deposit, and then apply some of the money you were planning to spend on the honeymoon towards paying off your vendors?  Though it might be too late to cancel your honeymoon and you'd be on the hook for the entire thing.
  • Can you change anything with the caterer to lower the cost?  You need to apply for a loan or cc ASAP and once you have final cost then charge it and immediately use any monetary gifts towards it.  Also, if going on a honeymoon, you need to cut back on it as much as possible to put that money towards it. 

You may not have meant to come across this way but where your mother comes from has absolutely nothing to do with your wedding. There are many single parents out there who do a fabulous job and I would be very offended if I were a single parent by your comment.

• I hope you have a $3,000 honeymoon planned (and saved for ) that you can cancel, or emergency savings you can draw from.  If not, you may have to take out a loan.

How did you get so overextended?
  • can you ditch the photographor and have someone you know take pictures?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Man people can be mean on this site! I had no idea. Anyways I agree, that its not like you can go back on what you've already planned for the wedding. Maybe downsize on something like say a car? I don't think its terrible to ask for help from his parents either. And I'd look into loans/credit stuff. But I can't suggest it because I don't know the pros and cons of it. I don't think you gies should not go on a honeymoon because of money. Downsize on that maybe, but its important to have that time together and enjoy eachother. Whatever you do, Good luck!!!   Frown
  • We would never take out a loan on a wedding. But that's my personal opinion. Everyone has their 2 cents on things. Have you talked to the photographer of maybe doing a payment plan or half now and pay the other half later maybe? We never went ALL OUT and the whole nine yards and still came out with a kick a$$ wedding :) You could always put off your honeymoon like pp said and maybe wait a year later to re-coupe and save money for that. The photographer is pretty spendy but you don't want to go cheap on your wedding pictures either. Goodluck with everything.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_paying-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:cb198762-0bae-4869-a37c-1086d31554c4Post:8fb93f38-5b5d-42fe-8a26-b19be140e84d">Re: Paying for Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Man people can be mean on this site! I had no idea. Anyways I agree, that its not like you can go back on what you've already planned for the wedding. Maybe downsize on something like say a car? I don't think its terrible to ask for help from his parents either. And I'd look into loans/credit stuff. But I can't suggest it because I don't know the pros and cons of it. I don't think you gies should not go on a honeymoon because of money. <strong>Downsize on that maybe, but its important to have that time together and enjoy eachother.</strong> Whatever you do, Good luck!!!  
    Posted by the1inWhite[/QUOTE]

FWIW:  You can have "time together and enjoy each other" in your own home or apartment.  You can go for a walk around the block together and enjoy each other's company.  You can watch favorite movies and microwave a bag of popcorn and enjoy each other's company.

You don't have to go on a honeymoon to have "time together and enjoy each other", particularly when going on a honeymoon at this time would put you in debt.

Your priorities are skewed.  But good luck to you.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Man, people are so snarky. I'll watch what I say then!
    Hope everything works out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards