Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Downtown Hotel Venue - Can't Decide

Hello Everyone!

I'm fairly new here and have yet to write a post since I got engaged this past May =)  Reason being is that I am not from the area but do plan on getting married in downtown Philadelphia because it's near our families. 

So far, I have contacted the following hotels: Marriott Downtown Convention Center, Hyatt Penns Landing, Sheraton Society Hill, and Courtyard Marriott Center City.  They are all relatively the same in what they quoted me although I had to compromise on a few items for the Marriott and the Hyatt.  I definitely would like to get married downtown and at a hotel for convenience for out of town guests (about half of our guestlist of 200)

Are any of you planning on getting married at these venues and can give me feedback?  I don't often get to visit the Philly area so any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!

Re: Downtown Hotel Venue - Can't Decide

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually have to say that in my two years here on this board I haven't seen anyone who got married or had their reception at those hotels, although plenty of bries have made hotel blocks there (correct my if I'm wrong, gals!).  What range are they in price-wise?  Some of the city brides here may be able to recommend similarly-priced places within reach of any of those hotels.

I have stayed at whichever of the Marriot's is right near City Hall - the room was great.  

I just know that there are so many gorgeous, unique venues within Philly...I would hate to see you miss out on one of them if it was in your price range.  I have no idea on pricing or how it compares to your budget, but the Cescaphe or the Atrium at the Curtis Center (same parent company) spring to mind, as well as the College of Physicians (aka beautiful room attached to the Mutter Musuem - such a fun, unique spot). 
  • Options
    flawlessfayflawlessfay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should try the Hilton on City Avenue

I am having mine at the Airport Marriot and they have been great so far
    Mrs-Flawless-Pitts
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    fay - I've been to a wedding at the City Ave. Hilton.  Definitely had the convenience factor and the room was nice.  It was an Indian wedding, so they may have had an outside caterer for the food - if not, I still thought the food was pretty good. 
  • Options
    flawlessfayflawlessfay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend got married there in July and i was VERYYYYYYYYY impressed with the food. Her package was pretty inexpensive for what she got (EVERYTHING was included). If i knew about it when i was looking, i would have booked it
    Mrs-Flawless-Pitts
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Im getting married at the Marriott Courtyard in center city, its beautiful,great price and I have nothing bad to say at all ! I love the look and the location and everyone is so nice there !
  • Options
    angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While a downtown hotel might be convenient for your out of town guests, you also have to consider that it's a pain in the ass for your in town guests. They have to drive in the city traffic jam, and then pay some crazy amount to park ($30 or more). And as far as pictures, getting around the city can be a nightmare. You either have to decide to spend a fair amount of time at one location only, or if you are trying to get all the typical cliche' Philly photos you will have to drive around, jump out, snap the photo, and get right back in. Traffic in Philly is horrible.

The other downside to the hotels is that their ballrooms are just so-so for decor. They aren't designed specifically for weddings as they are used for corporate events as well. So they can't compare to a place like The Merion or Glen Foerd Mansion in the looks department.

I think a nice alternative for weddings with lots of out of town guests is to book a nice hall that is close to a hotel and then hire a shuttle service to take guests from the hotel to the hall and back. And then all your in town guests won't get smacked in the face for parking.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Like Angel said, the parking is a big factor. But for our wedding we are doing valet parking with the hotel, because we know it is kinda a pain to get to the city for some people...we've decided to pay for everyones parking which is $15 a car....But if you dont want to pay for parking or you just want to help out with paying for your guests parking you can say put $10 on every car that way they only have to pay the remaining $5. Or you could also look into renting a parking lot. But thats up to you, just some options. I personally love center city and I think for any wedding its always a pain traveling....but i think having a center city wedding is def worth it ! Its really not that pricey either....the parking situation is probably the biggest problem but easily solved
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We are having our guests stay at the Courtyard by Marriott downtown and were able to negotiate a great price.  Our reception is at the Ballroom at the Ben which is about 4-5 blocks away so it's very convenient for guests.  Both are beautiful old locations!  Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 235 invited so far!
    image 144 are ready to party!
    image 91 will be missing out!
    image 0 are MIA!
  • Options
    nancyrnancyr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love the Ballroom at the Ben, it's out of our price range but it's a gorgeous place!  The Marriott near City Hall is fine for a hotel, but I've never been there for a wedding, just when I've worked parades for New Years and didn't want to travel back and forth at 4am.
  • Options
    akferreakferre member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much for your input.  My current budget is $125/person (inclusive of taxes and gratuities). I know that seems pretty low but I have mentioned to some of the wedding coordinators at the hotels that I'm willing to forgo things like a dessert course (serve the cake instead) and reducing the amount of butlered appetizers.  I really hope I can find a venue downtown within my budget!
  • Options
    akferreakferre member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh also, thanks for the Ballroom at the Ben recommendation! I just spke with one of their planners and I'm scheduled to meet with them in a couple of weeks.  They fit within my budget during off season (Jan, Feb, March)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards