Flowers

are fake flowers OK? or tacky?

Well, my FI and I both suffer from allergies, and many people on both sides of the family do as well. We have considered using fake floral arrangements, as a means of helping to alleviate some sneeze-factors. as a bonus, it would allow me to add grape vine leaves and grape bunches to the boquet (we are getting married at our favorite vineyard). just wondering if it would be alright, or look very very tacky...

please keep in mind that we would use the better-looking fake flowers, not the cheap plastic and nylon flowers

Re: are fake flowers OK? or tacky?

• BoxOfRocksBoxOfRocks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IMHO, if you're not going to use real flowers, go whole hog and don't use fake ones (that simulate real ones) either.  The creative greenery you mentioned, making ribbon poms / flowers, etc. adds a creative touch.
  • edited December 2011
    I like PP's idea, but to answer your question, done tastefully fake flowers can look just fine. Plus keeping in mind your allergies they will make you all look your best instead of sneezing at an inopportune time. :)

Don't assume they are cheaper though, just fyi.
    imagepcos ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really do not like fake flowers.  There are so many different things you can with with candles, lanterns, sand, fruit....
    I just feel that if you have so many options why go with fake flowers?
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • sytomsytom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In my opinion fake flowers HAVE to look like the real deal and they usually are pricey if not more expensive than real ones.  I don't like it when you can see the plastic thingies striking out. 

A florist told me that he could make bouquets with real and fake flowers at the same time.  He showed me pictures and it looked great.  It was really expensive though...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    thanks for the input guys... just wanted some opinions =) i actually expected that fake would be more than real, TBH... I like BoxofRocks' suggestion, we are looking at that now =)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm considering it, simply because I feel like I can have more control over the way my flowers will look.  Not up for the judging from others, though!  :-)
  • snowflake350snowflake350 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For my winter wedding I'm using fake ones for my bridesmaids bouquets and one of my bouquets (I'm going to have two bouquets, since I'm tossing one) The place I'm having my ceremony at is providing me with one bouquet (real flowers) and real flowers for decorations.  The way I see it, I've been a bridesmaid in 6 weddings and I do not have any of those bouquets today. The fake flowers I bought at Michaels for under 200 bucks and that included other decorations also.  One of my friends put the bouquets together and they came out very beautiful.  They work very well for me and my winter theme. Think about what is best for you, I think fake flowers are a great option with your allergy situation. 

Little one is here.
  • flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    TACKY....especially cheap ones.......i.e. the majority of the Michaels/hobby lobby ones. But it may not matter to you. Some brides don't care.It is the cost that they care about and nothing more.
  • snowflake350snowflake350 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How would you know what other brides care about if you don't know them?   For your information the fake flowers I bought cost close to the same of what real ones cost, I saved money by having my friend put them together.  Also the friend who put them together picked out everyone one of the flowers and was extremely picky about the look of them (she's kind of a perfectionist)
    OP said she has allergies, using fake flowers would have nothing to do with money. For me I wanted something I'd hang on to, all the real flowers I've ever gotten have been tossed away at some point, some people may hang on to dead flowers, I just never have, that was one of the biggest influences in my decision to use fake flowers for my bouquets.  I'm having real flowers as decorations but those I don't care about keeping.  To me I"m getting the best of both.
    Little one is here.
  • SmS84SmS84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I used silk flowers for both my centerpieces(which I made myself) & my bridal bouqet set(which I ordered off of etsy.com)
    I got numerous compliments on both. People loved my bouqet and asked who made them and asked to smell them, they were stunned when I told them they were silk, then they would ask to touch.
    If done right you can make it look beautiful!!! Best of luck!

Shantel Santellana
  • edited December 2011
    I  think the only way they don't look tacky is putting them in a vase with water.  You might go a different route with using other items to decorate with.  Jones bottles, Candle arrangements with fake flower petals, or small fake trees.  I would look at other options before using all fake flowers.  I would prefer no flowers to the fake ones.
  • edited December 2011
    So, what about preserved flowers?  They soak them in glycerin and you can get them 30 days ahead of time???  This is my new obsession, I haven't decided yet .... maybe I should make a new post.  
    115 Invited - 96 accepted 14 declined 4 Where are you Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards